View Full Version : Finishing CPL/MECIR - Melbourne Flying School Recommendations

WannaBeBiggles
5th Sep 2008, 02:26
Hi Guys and girls

I am moving from lovely QLD to Melbourne next month for work and am looking for a place to finish up my flight training, I have all my subjects (CPL, ATPL and IREX) , so only need to get the flying out of the way, primarily on weekends.

Now before I get flamed, I have done quite a bit of research on these forums and have come up with a shortlist, however I am after further recommendations and also some insight on what instructor and aircraft availablity is like. I am flying with RAC @ YRED at the moment and getting and aircraft and instructor can almost be harder than getting a dentist appointment, so this is something I would want to avoid where possible, though availablilty will not outweigh quality of training in making my decision (flight training nirvana I know!)

I have heard great things about Bini's, especially when it comes to MECIR training, so they are high on my list.

So the list so far is;

Bini's
MFS
MFT

Are there any good alternatives to Moorabin? I currently travel 45 minutes to YRED and will be based close to the Melbourne CBD, so a bit of travel time is not a huge issue.

Thanks in advance! :ok:

flyboyUK2003
5th Sep 2008, 03:03
The 3 school's on your list are all very good, and I've only ever heard glowing praise for Bini's. RVAC was a good school when i was training at MB, despite what you may have heard on the news lately. Unfortunately, I think they may have followed the route of so many schools in Bankstown of getting as many students as they can from India/Asia, so getting a plane and an instructor may be hard. Good luck with your flying mate

WannaBeBiggles
5th Sep 2008, 23:27
Thanks floyboy

Lilydale and Pearsons have also come up in searches without yeilding many results.

So any info on those as well as the ones mentioned previously would be greatly appreciated :)

GFPT
6th Sep 2008, 00:16
YLIL would be a good alternative, No briefing charges, no landing fees, very minimal taxing time.
I haven't flown there personally for nearly 3 years. The same owners are still running the show,are very helpfull and appreciate the big dollars you are handing over.

Great place to build hours as the views in and around the Yarra Valley are exceptional. (great place to take the ladies for a joy flight :E).

PM me if you would like any further info.

DanAus1983
6th Sep 2008, 23:31
If you're looking at Moorabbin, MFT would get my vote. I train there so I can't really comment on the others on your list, but they have great instructors, aircraft, sim, and a fantastic atmosphere.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing. I might be a bit of a shock to the system coming down to our glorious Melbourne weather!

AusDarren
7th Sep 2008, 10:11
I have flown with the ATO from RVAC and MFS, I did my NVFR test with Gary at MFS, and found he was good, had a way of putting you at ease, and yet still getting you to show that you know the required material. Joe at RVAC was more just sit and watch and not say very much at all. Moorabbin is very very busy. That is both a blessing, in being used to operating in a busy enviroment, and a curse, all at once. I did my PPL at Redcliffe some years ago. Lilydale is much more like Redcliffe, with hills instead of water. The Aircraft fleet at MFS is relatively new, and the chargeout rate reflects that. Some all glass.

hope you find the comments helpful.

Regards,

AusDarren

vee1-rotate
7th Sep 2008, 11:00
another vote for MFT here...very professional, excellent facilities and aircraft and the whole atmosphere of the place is awesome!

Howard Hughes
7th Sep 2008, 22:06
You've got a good list, go straight to number 1, Bini's...:ok:

downunderscouser
8th Sep 2008, 04:33
Todd Kelly uses Bini's for his flight training

I am with RVAC personally but am considering looking at alternatives...

WannaBeBiggles
9th Sep 2008, 01:08
Thanks to all who have responded so far. I'll pop in to MFT, MFS and Bini's are well as the crew out and YLIL.

Any further recommendations and suggestions outside of Moorabin are more then welcome!

Owen, yes, I do LOVE brissie, however, more fun tickets = more flying! ;)

Ear Muffs
9th Sep 2008, 10:37
Melbourne Flight Training all the way. Ask for Glen. You'll never look back...

Muffs