PDA

View Full Version : QF the "world's most experienced" airline?

Pedota
4th Sep 2008, 22:31
It seems QF cannot take a trick at the moment . . . from The Australian.

Watchdog probes Qantas ads

QANTAS is being investigated by Britain's advertising watchdog for claiming in a series of advertisements that it is the "world's most experienced" airline.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has received eight complaints about a series of print and television ads for the Australian airline which ran in Britain earlier this year.

An ASA spokesman said Qantas was cooperating with the investigation and had defended the claims made in its ads.

"We have had complaints about the TV and poster advertisements and the use of the line that Qantas is the world's most experienced airline," the spokesman said.

"Viewers have challenged whether it is misleading because they believe there are other airlines that were established before Qantas.

"It's an ongoing investigation as to whether there's a problem under our code."

Comment was being sought from Qantas.

The ASA's investigation is expected to be completed within the next few weeks.

However, the ASA is not a statutory authority so is unable to do much more than give Qantas a public slap on the wrist if it finds the airline's claims are misleading.

According to Qantas' website, the airline was formally established in Brisbane on November 16, 1920, and by 1921 its fleet consisted of two war-surplus biplanes.

However, other small airline services were also operating in the United States around the same time.

The investigation comes after Qantas was last year dragged into the ASA's probe into Tourism Australia's controversial "Where the bloody hell are you?" advertising campaign.

Qantas airfares were promoted in the ads, which were condemned by the ASA for using a swear word and ultimately banned after the watchdog received 32 complaints about the promotion.

The airline has been dogged by a spate of controversies involving its aircraft in recent months.

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority last month launched its own investigation into Qantas' safety and maintenance operations after three mid-air emergencies on its jets in less than 10 days.

Ralph the Bong
4th Sep 2008, 22:43
Isn't "The World's most experienced Airline" a recycled catch-phrase from the 1970's?

I think BAOC used this one before...:hmm:

lowerlobe
4th Sep 2008, 22:55
The ad slogan about "The Worlds most experienced Airline" is a debatable one but the part I find amazing is how many people complained...

The population as far as I know of the UK is around 60 million ( I could be wrong with that) and only 8 people complained about the Ad.....They could be friends of those in the office of another airline for all we know and it would be hard to prove but only 8....

The same happened here in Australia recently and it shows just how sensitive and politically correct we are becoming...

It would be hard to think of any ad campaign and not have 8 people in any population who disagree with it....You would think that if only 8 people complain it is a fairly innocuous advert...

Does this mean one day that if you buy something that is rare or of a prominent colour and if 8 people complain about it then you have to get rid of it...:yuk:

Zeke
4th Sep 2008, 23:22
Isn't "The World's most experienced Airline" a recycled catch-phrase from the 1970's?

I think BAOC used this one before...

Pan Am

http://www.enjoyart.com/library/transportation/aviation/large/pan_am_madrid.jpg
http://members.aol.com/pa115b/1950tt.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2332/2517894116_5bfbb31e6c_o.jpg

Desert Dingo
4th Sep 2008, 23:29
Most experienced at what?
Blowing holes in fuselages with oxy bottles?
I guess that's could be true.
:E

Jabawocky
4th Sep 2008, 23:36
8 Whinging :mad: Poms!!!

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/adult/handjob.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-unhappy-smileys.php)

Higs
4th Sep 2008, 23:51
This just goes to show that QF can not get away with the "attitude' that they are the best. When all is said and done they are a very small Airline on the international front.

QSK?
4th Sep 2008, 23:55
It begs the question, though, doesn't it?

Which airline is the most experienced (or oldest continuously operating) airline in the world today?

I always thought it was KLM. Are they others? Did I read somewhere on Pprune a couple of years ago that a South American airline may, in fact, be older than KLM?

Flyingblind
5th Sep 2008, 00:21
JABAWOCKY,

PULL YER HEAD IN!

How do you know the people making the complaint are English? or whatever race you term as POMS? they could be from anywhere, and just perhaps, some of them maybe ex pats over there who can level a degree of realism towards QF advertising BS and voice their concern.

Its Europe 2008 not Bankstown 1970!

Get with it and save your racist's comments for less reputable forums.

Fsake.

Ironic how your user name is an old Pommie film!

blueloo
5th Sep 2008, 00:45
All this thread does is drag the QF bashers out from their rocks.

Lets be fair though. Its a crap add stolen from another defunct airline - but QANTAS is used to a marketing department which doesnt do its research before delivering its products. Wonder if they tried googling first...... ahwell with a change at the top maybe the rest of the company will gain some originality and innovation.

L5Brassco
5th Sep 2008, 01:15
Jaberwocky
Not everyone agrees with your view...but your smilie is great:D...must use it on my next email to my manager

Flight Detent
5th Sep 2008, 02:39
Errrrr....is this about "World's most experienced airline" or

....which has not been claimed..."World's longest serving airline",

Not quite the same thing methinks!

...at least for the purposes of a legal battle...

Cheers...FD...:cool:

Kiwiguy
5th Sep 2008, 02:40
Ha ha and we know what happened to Pan Am don't we ?

The Qantas 733 and 734s used in NZ are a bunch of flea eaten dogs.

Spinnerhead
5th Sep 2008, 02:43
Jaberwocky

I totally agree with your view!

Jabawocky
5th Sep 2008, 03:27
Flyingblind & L5Brassco

I think you guys need to get a life!

I have some very good Pommy friends, and an in-law in the family :ooh: and it is just an old Aussie v pommy or should I say Australian V English friendly banter about the Whinging Poms.

I gather you two are from the mother country? Yes we have a heritage of being the finest of stock hand picked by Her/His Majesty’s Magistrates, and ever since the folk back in England realise that this great land was the place they should have moved to and not sent the crooks!

As for 8 complaints over an advertisement like that...... Geeeeze Louise!!!:rolleyes: If you are going to complain about advertising standards, there are probably a few thousand far more deserving of scruitiny than that one!

Its Europe 2008 not Bankstown 1970!

Get with it and save your racist's comments for less reputable forums.

I do object to your inference completely, I am NOT racist, however I am discriminatory. I suggest you contemplate that thought for a moment :).

L5Brassco
Glad you liked it, see you can have a sense of humour, just a pity some missed it!

J:ok:

Howard Hughes
5th Sep 2008, 04:07
Jaba you got one!;)

Given the longevity of many of the incumbents at QF, they may just go close to being the 'most experienced airline'.:ok:

Ken Borough
5th Sep 2008, 04:44
Qantas airfares were promoted in the ads, which were condemned by the ASA for using a swear word and ultimately banned after the watchdog received 32 complaints about the promotion.

Coming from a country that produces some of the coarsest and crudest television comedies, I am gob-smacked that 32 of its citizenry complained about the word 'bloody'. Are they suggesting that Tourism Australia should have used "fu˘kin' " - a word much heard in the UK these days? How precious can the Poms get?

henry crun
5th Sep 2008, 04:48
If the add is untrue, the number of people complaining does not matter.

Wiley
5th Sep 2008, 05:58
This political correctness rubbish isn't new. Back in the '50s, when the RAAF switched from the RAF roundel to the red kangaroo supplanting the RAF red dot, the original kangaroo was a bloke, (as you might have expected in those largely pre-PC days for the symbol of an armed service), with a big set of dusters. One (***ing one!!!) little old spinster lady complained - and the RAAF's 'big red' was promptly emasculated.

The kangaroo (or uc da loi, or long tailed rat to the initiated) we've had ever since is a sheila - as, I think, is Qantas' big while rat.

Edited to add that in the sixties, many in the RAAF still referred to that one little old lady by name, so well was she known in the service for her one, but oh so effective letter of complaint.

tinpis
5th Sep 2008, 06:29
....thats goin back a bit Wiley :}

Uc-da-loi, Cheap Charlie,
He go home across the sea,
He leave baby-san with me,
Uc-da-loi he Cheap Charlie

NIGELINOZ
5th Sep 2008, 07:59
So 8 people with nothing better to do with their time lodge a complaint about a Qantas ad,

Tell someone who cares!
Geezus !
People in some parts of the world are dying of starvation,aids,There are civil wars going on in many parts of the world yet apparently some people
are so upset about a tv ad that they lodge a complaint.

Honestly,some people just need to get a life.

henry crun
5th Sep 2008, 08:03
Wiley: if I have interpreted your post corrctly you are saying it is politically correct rubbish for a handful of people in England to say that a claim by Quantas, ooops, sorry, Qantas, is not true.

Have I got that right ?

denis555
5th Sep 2008, 08:32
Commenting on the CelebAir partnership, managing director of Monarch Airlines, Tim Jeans said, “As the most experienced airline in the UK, who better to provide the support and infrastructure for the celebrities and CelebAir than Monarch?

rubik101
5th Sep 2008, 08:59
Monarch is younger than me for heavan's sake!

lowerlobe
5th Sep 2008, 09:28
The stupid part.....(apart from the cost involved in the investigation of the advert after only 8 people from around 66 million complained)...

Is that this all serves to give Qantas free advertising....something they would have to pay a lot more than the original advert...

ExSp33db1rd
5th Sep 2008, 09:37
I think BAOC used this one before...

Pan Am

Correct. and BA not BOAC, (tho that is nit-picky 'cos BOAC became BA ) were The World's Favourite at around the same time.

Checking out a recently redundant Pan Am Captain - following Lockerbie - in my next airline, I called V1, then said that the punters didn't realise that they were flying behind The Worlds' Most Experienced and The Worlds' Favourite. It took him to V2 to catch on ! Happy days. :ok:

Wiley
5th Sep 2008, 09:41
Wiley: if I have interpreted your post corrctly you are saying it is politically correct rubbish for a handful of people in England to say that a claim by Quantas, ooops, sorry, Qantas, is not true.
Have I got that right?God, Henry, thicken thy (for me) Antipodian Old Dartish skin.

Noooo... I was just saying that people at the top, even back in the 50s, were quick to react to complaints from a very small number of complainants. Frankly, I don't care one whit whether Skippy is or is not the most experienced anything, although with the possible exception of KLM and very few others, they're right up there in the airline longevity stakes.

henry crun
5th Sep 2008, 09:50
Thanks for clearing that up.

It was your opening sentence "This political correctness rubbish isn't new" made me think you bracketed the subject under discussion with the 50's. :)

Taildragger67
5th Sep 2008, 11:49
Pilot experience is measured in hours, rather than years since one started one's career... hence one would've thought that corporate experience in this game should be measured by some similar metric eg. total punters carried, or total seat-miles/km's flown, etc. rather than simply years since first flight.

I mean, surely an international carrier, flying lots of sectors a day, is more 'experienced' than a one-man band which co-incidentally opened its doors on the same day as the larger carrier?

In any case it depends what you define as 'experience' and that will vary from person to person. This is a no-win fight for anyone.