PDA

View Full Version : Most Evocative Film Moment

chiglet
4th Sep 2008, 20:29
The P51 flyby, from "Empire of the Sun"
watp,iktch

Standard Noise
4th Sep 2008, 20:44
Triumph and sadness in one, the Mess Sargent telling Guy Gibson that Nigger has been killed in the Dambusters.

Prolly cos I love black Labs a la Lucyfer.

tony draper
4th Sep 2008, 20:50
Not a movie, the ending of the last episode of Blackadder when they leave the trench,after the humor it was so unexpected it caught everybody I think,very cleverly done if one wishes to be cynical,of course once you have seen it a repeat does not have that almost stunning effect.
:)

BigBoeing
4th Sep 2008, 20:58
Very much agree about Blackadder!

chiglet
4th Sep 2008, 21:16
Drapes...I hate you....
[That was my no2]
watp,iktch

con-pilot
4th Sep 2008, 21:31
John Wayne ridding to the rescue in any movie!

(I'm kiddin, I'm kidding, don't shoot.)

Actually I agree with chiglet. A great movie by the way.

For TV, 100% with Mr. Draper. That ending really took me by surprise.

tony draper
4th Sep 2008, 21:37
A strange one from me perhaps,one has alus loved Westerns and the best western ever made in my book was Pat Garret and Billy the Kid, Peckinpaws last,
This scene when Slim Pickens is fatally shot and just goes down to the river bank kneels down and just waits to die and Dylan's Knocking on Heavens Door cuts in,killer scene.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/pg85.jpg
:(

scran
4th Sep 2008, 23:44
Also the PR Spit flyby early in A Bridge Too Far - when he waggles the wings to the dutch kid.........

Di_Vosh
5th Sep 2008, 01:38
The "kisses" scene from Cinema Paradiso

DIVOSH!

corsair
5th Sep 2008, 01:42
Rutger Hauer, Blade Runner. 'like tears lost in the rain'. 'Time to die' etc.

Loose rivets
5th Sep 2008, 02:07
Yep, Blackadder. An intriguing moment of creational brilliance.

Oddly, the impassioned speech from Rambo sticks in my mind. So many Vets with so much anger.

Ah, knew there was one that stuck in my mind. Helen Mirren. fighting alcohol addiction in one of the later Tennyson character's most difficult times, and one of Ms Mirren's finest hours.

BlueDiamond
5th Sep 2008, 02:54
Gallipoli ... the chilling moment when the third wave of young Aussie soldiers was sent from the trenches into certain death from Turkish bullets. They had already seen the first two waves of men cut down in a matter of seconds, they knew that they had no hope of surviving and they waited in vain for this to be recognised and for an order to stay where they were. Unbelievably, the order they received was to attack. The utter futility of this pointless exercise was summed up graphically in young athlete "Archy Hamilton"'s freeze-frame death.

BlueWolf
5th Sep 2008, 04:14
Damn, I read the thread title and that Blackadder scene was the first thing to pop into my mind.

Filum; that bit in "Zulu" where they realise - they think - that they're going to die.

Howard Hughes
5th Sep 2008, 05:33
Aircraft, Guns, Cowboys, you big tough macho men!;)

For me it's a bizarre one, Planes Trains & Automobiles at the end where Neil realises that Del actually has no home or family and will be spending Christmas alone!:{

Cue Paul Young's 'every time you go away' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTgWJcwWJjc&feature=related).... Double :{:{

henry crun
5th Sep 2008, 05:40
Towards the end of Immortal Beloved at the premier of the 9th Symphony, the conductor nudges Beethoven indicating he should turn round to see the audience giving a standing ovation.

larssnowpharter
5th Sep 2008, 06:48
1. When Travis has to shoot Old Yeller
2. When he gets a pup and calls it 'Young Yeller'

notmyC150v2
5th Sep 2008, 06:59
Final scene in Killing Fields as John Lennon's "Imagine" starts up.

Gets me crying like a little girl every time.

For TV it had to be Jimmy Smits death scene in NYPD Blue.

Wiley
5th Sep 2008, 07:09
Have to agree with you re Blackadder, Drapes. I came over all 'deep and meaningful' when I first saw that scene, for it brought home to me very forcefully that all those men we used to see 'going over the top' in those jerky 24 frames a second WW1 newsreels when we were kids were very much three dimensional people - dare I say it? - like Blackadder, who were quite probably as aware of how stupid and futile some of the orders they were given really were. But, (like that third wave of Light Horsemen at the Nek, so well portrayed in the 'Gallipoli' film - and like Captain Blackadder), they still went over.

If there's a stronger phrase than 'truly evocative', that scene as he looks and his watch, sighs and blows his whistle deserves it.

gingernut
5th Sep 2008, 08:09
John Candy-fantastic:). Seems to be on every Christmas that film.

On a more cheery note, moments before death, in "Terms of Endearement," dying mum says goodbye to her sons.....

YouTube - Terms of Endearment-Goodbye to sons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl-wDvRM3fs&feature=related)

thankfully, Jack Nicholson calm the emotions, with tales of travels in space, at the wake.

Beatriz Fontana
5th Sep 2008, 08:18
The end of the final episode of Blake's Seven. Avon, surrounded by Federation guards - his fellow outlaws dead around him - smiling before the camera cuts to black.

johnfairr
5th Sep 2008, 08:51
Final scene of "Breaker Morrant" as Edward Woodward and Bryan Brown walk up the slope to be shot. Apparently, totally unscripted, Woodward reaches for Brown's hand. Geez, I've got goose bumps just typing this!

jf

mustpost
5th Sep 2008, 09:02
Probably quite a lot of 'A Matter of Life and Death'...

shedhead
5th Sep 2008, 09:46
Harry Lime's speech on the big wheel in Vienna from the third man.
agree with blackadder as well.
Or Bob Hoskins in the final few minutes of The long good Friday.

Frustratin' Approach
5th Sep 2008, 10:18
The end of 'Planet of the Apes', when he sees the broken edifice in the water. (Well some people may not have seen it yet!)

The end of 'Capricorn One', particularly the look on Brenda Vaccaro's face.

I see from imdb that the latter is 'in development' for a remake in 2010. Please don't!

goudie
5th Sep 2008, 10:53
The final scene in 'Shane' with the boy calling after Alan Ladd.

Have watched the final scene in Blackadder several times, always extremely evocative.

Mr Pax
5th Sep 2008, 11:18
The end of the Railway Children when she sees her dad on the station platform.
YouTube - Railway Children (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RnQ_v7rqQs)

Will someone get me a tissue:{

smo-kin-hole
5th Sep 2008, 11:22
I agree, Blade Runner/Planes, Trains, Automobiles were great moments.

But when Waldo Pepper realizes what the movie is about, walks out of the hangar, and sees that triplane with Lola on the side, that is an INTENSE tribute to the aces. Great stuff. I love that scene.

dead_pan
5th Sep 2008, 12:22
The scene at the end of Miller's Crossing when Bernie pleads for his life (again) 'Look into your heart'

Also the scene where Eddie the Dane walks Tom into the forest to check that he had shot Bernie the first time around.

A brilliant film

frostbite
5th Sep 2008, 12:47
How about the final scene of Get Carter when Michael Caine is shot?

Dan D'air
5th Sep 2008, 13:28
The final scene in "The Shawshank Redemption" where Tim Robbins realises that Morgan Freeman has made it to Mexico after their 20 plus years in jail together. Always gets me, a truly awesome scene from IMHO, one of the best films ever made.

CATIII-NDB
5th Sep 2008, 13:40
"A matter of life and Death" - Yes the scene of the trial and also the final scenes with the conveyer belt. Also not forgetting the opening scene of the Railway Children where an "Old" Jenny remembers her siblings - and How about Casablanca where HB says "You know louey this could be the the beginning of a beautiful Friendship" or perhaps the final scenes of the "First of the few" or.......

CAT III ( I'm quitely dripping tears into my cup of CoCoa - dreadful waste of ....)

Late addendium "12 O'Clock High" - Yes That Scene at the beginning - I think he got an "Oscar".

Binoculars
5th Sep 2008, 15:40
Evocative? I'm not sure whether these qualify, but since the general tenor of the thread seems to be towards lump-in-the-throat type scenes, the one that made me hold my breath without even realising it was the eponymous scene in Sophie's Choice. It wasn't a great movie, but Meryl Streep's showstopper scene ensured it will never be forgotten.

Similarly the French Lieutenant's Woman. After reading the book I remember my wife telling me they were going to make a film out of it; who did I think would be the lead female? There was only one possible choice.

For things that just make me blubber, the final scene of Field of Dreams when the car headlights are lined up for miles, the final scene of Big Fish, and the bus arriving to take away the last survivor in Heart and Souls after he had fulfilled his life's ambition to sing in front of a crowd.

Excuse me, I have to ......:{ :{ :{

stepwilk
5th Sep 2008, 15:53
I had assumed we'd be suggesting aviation-related scenes, which is what I'll do: the scene near the opening of "12 O'Clock High," when the former squadron XO, I think he was, bicycles to the former airbase, now just weedy concrete. He takes off his glasses and cleans them with a handkerchief, puts them back on and you begin to hear the cough and clatter of Wright engines starting up, and the weeds flatten in the propwash as we segue back to 1943...

DBisDogOne
5th Sep 2008, 16:06
Agree with corsair, the 'Time to die' - Roy Batty/Deckard scene in Blade Runner. Also Slim Pickens (as Major Kong) in Dr. Strangelove as he rodeo-rides the A-bomb as it is dropped.
Probably my favourite, is the last scene of the wonderful no-budget 'DarkStar' (written by the same chap who did the screenplay for 'Alien' - Dan O'Bannon) where the two survivors get to die the way they want to, one is transported away by mysterious lights/beings, the other surfs on a piece of wreakage towards the nearby planet where he burns up in the atmosphere.

The Real Slim Shady
5th Sep 2008, 16:41
Debbie does Dallas when the girls go to work in the candle shop.:ok:

Ozzy
5th Sep 2008, 17:55
Agree with Blackadder and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles endings.

Another is the fight scene in the house in Saving Private Ryan where the German soldier is talking softly to the GI while he slowly drives the knife into the GI's chest.....

Ozzy