PDA

View Full Version : FAA Work Experience?

Benjybh
4th Sep 2008, 17:31
Hi all,

Just to introduce myself - I'm Ben, aged 16 and I started my A-Levels today. I got given a letter from school saying that we have the opportunity to do a week of work experience sometime around April.

My future career will hopefully be Aircrew in the RAF or RN, and was wondering if the Fleet Air Arm will let me do 5 days work experience at Yeovilton?

I know that it is possible to do work experience at RAF Stations, and I have a contact at Benson, but while I know a fair amount about the Light Blue lifestyle I have much less knowledge about the FAA and RN in general.

Also, how do the RAF feel about UAS studes going onto the Navy?

Thanks in advance,

Ben :)

timex
4th Sep 2008, 17:43
Ben, you can do work experience at Yeovilton, however I'm not sure who you would need to speak to. Good luck.

Green Flash
4th Sep 2008, 17:57
Ben

Welcome to Pprune.

Have you tried the Yeovilton website? A contact number is there. Give 'em a call, explain who you are and what you want and they should direct you to the right person.

RNAS Yeovilton : Naval Bases & Air Stations : Establishments : Operations and Support : Royal Navy (http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.3194)

airborne_artist
4th Sep 2008, 20:15
Ben - you need to talk to your RN careers liaison officer - call your nearest Armed Forces Careers Office and they'll refer you.

Then ask for an FAA potential officers' acquaint course, which take place at Yeovilton and Culdrose about eight times a year, normally four days long. The Yeovilton course has the added bonus of a full dunker (http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.3249) course, complete with certificate. Hope you can hold your breath for 25-30 seconds....

You should also be able to get a ship visit (4-5 days) and there are also places on a Cadet's week-long course at the end of July each year at BRNC, open to 16-18 year olds - Department of Naval Recruiting (DNR) has about 40 places of the 200, I believe, and you don't need to be a current/past cadet to take part.

Missed out one further opportunity - the FAAOA gliding scholarships. Normally places available, either via the careers officer, or direct application to the FAAOA (http://www.fleetairarmoa.org/pages/aviation_scholarship_awards/scholarship.shtml).

Benjybh
4th Sep 2008, 20:20
Brilliant AA, thanks! :ok:

With the Dunker and it's 'certificate', does that mean if I were to join the FAA I wouldn't have to do that course again? I've been swimming since I was very young, so it should be no problem (he says as he reaches for the nearest wooden door!).

Thanks again,

Ben :)

cobaltfrog
4th Sep 2008, 20:31
Ben

Oh yes, the dunker is a pleasure you get every two years complete with STASS (short term air supply system). Call the FTO at Dartmouth on 01803 677172 and he should be able to tell you about aircrew training at Dartmouth too. Try and find out about what we fly and where, as alluded too the RN website will offer what you need.

Good luck, I had a brilliant 19 years in the military.

airborne_artist
4th Sep 2008, 20:32
With the Dunker and it's 'certificate', does that mean if I were to join the FAA I wouldn't have to do that course again?

No, because (I think) you have to re-do it every two years once in the FAA. And anyway, they'd not count anything you did before joining, I'm sure.

Not much swimming involved, really. You have to do four rides, in each of front left, front right, rear L and rear R seats, in increasing levels of darkness. It was in the Submarine Escape Tower at Gosport when I did it last.

My daughter did it last year, aged 16 :ok:

Benjybh
4th Sep 2008, 20:57
Thinking about it now, that would make much more sense, AA!

Thankyou everyone else, you have been most helpful :)

Just getting my teeth into 'Armed Action' by James Newton before bed - a great book!

Ben

muppetofthenorth
4th Sep 2008, 21:10
Re your UAS question, Ben.

The UAS is not a recruitment tool, it is an aid, for sure, but the RAF knows that not everyone who goes to one will enter the service afterwards.

My former CO always said that his job was not to convince you to join the RAF, or to even get you into a flying job, but to help you get the skills you wanted to find the career you want.

Certainly, I don't think any sane squadron CO will turn you away if you say you're undecided between the RAF and FAA, indeed, many will like the fact that you've done some prior research and know what you're talking about.

Hope that helps.

Benjybh
4th Sep 2008, 21:16
Thankyou, a great help :)

Ben

anotherthing
5th Sep 2008, 01:49
Benjybh

A-A as always gives good info. However the dunker takes place at Yeovilton, and you do have to do it every 2 years ( i remember each time I was due, I used to lie in the bath hoping I could manage 45 seconds - which under normal cicumstances is a piece of p**s).#

Once in and established you will always do it from the seat you would be in under normal ops... i.e for me as an Observer (the brains of the aircraft as opposed to the taxi driver); I'd be front left, so egress was fairly simple. pity the poor souls in the back who were along for the ride.

You come across as having our head screwed on - good lucki!

strek
5th Sep 2008, 08:13
Benjybh

Don't mention the book at Yeovilton, the guy will make you go and get it so he can sign it for you:E

P.S. He is only 'James' on the front cover.....

Strek

cobaltfrog
5th Sep 2008, 08:39
Anotherthing, you're not much use unless you can get to where you need to fight the aircraft are you!;)

strek
5th Sep 2008, 09:35
CF

Yeah yeah. If it was that tricky the engineers would have to fly as well!

Once they had finished fixing the last instance of "finger trouble".

Deps

(Running to the ABW Bomb Shelter waiting for incoming)

Benjybh
5th Sep 2008, 13:55
P.S. He is only 'James' on the front cover.....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DDTWQYRTL._SL500_AA240_.jpg ;)

Thanks for the help guys - will get in contact with my AFCO ASAP to get a RV at EGDY, while in the mean time brushing up on my TLAs :}

Regards,

Ben

Bismark
5th Sep 2008, 17:50
Ben,

Re the Dunker....you are underwater for about 9 seconds only, 6 runs one in total darkness. Re the aquaint, if your AFCO can't help ring the station direct and ask for the Education centre and say you are interested in work experience. My kids did it at the base a few years ago and had a great insight into the RN and FAA, and flew.

Bis

spheroid
5th Sep 2008, 18:39
Bismarck is absolutely correct .....

Airborne artists memory is fading....the Dunker used to be at HMS Vernon....situated at the top of the most unstable rickerty wooden building.........Horrible

airborne_artist
5th Sep 2008, 19:19
Airborne artists memory is fading

Is it time for my pills again? Nurse, Nurse, where are you ............. :ok:

alexmac
6th Sep 2008, 00:52
I was at Yeovilton a few weeks back and was speaking to some of the POC guys. Seemed to have a really busy and action packed few days....great food, nice accommodation in the mess and believe they even got some flying in. Meanwhile I was in a field with no food and a tent. Good flying though :ok:

As has been said, if your AFCO can't help, speak to Yeovilton direct; they're very friendly.

airborne_artist
6th Sep 2008, 06:25
if your AFCO can't help I have to say that this is highly unlikely - they are very positive, as are all of DNR, and the number of opportunities for potential recruits to see the Navy at work is very good.

Daughter #2 did a week of school work experience at the secret Oxon heli-base, and it was clear that they were not very well set up for it. Her time with the Dark Blue was very good - she has been on all of the visits I've described above.

alexmac
7th Sep 2008, 04:12
Totally agree AA, although I do find some AFCO staff more helpful than others. When I went for 6th form Schol with the light blue mob, I was told "you probably won't get it"... "I'd like to try for it anyway...". Was offered FC and declined. Dark Blue were much more proactive and helpful; have since done POC stuff at Yeovilton, Culdrose and on board Iron Duke with a few other bits and bobs under the 'POC' heading.... all good fun... get out what you can, while you can :} :ok:

airborne_artist
7th Sep 2008, 16:53
And remember, the RN will send you a rail warrant for your journey to/from the acquaint course/ship visit etc., so your Mum and Dad not only get rid of you for a week, but at no cost :ok: