PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Test Card on Freeview

frostbite
4th Sep 2008, 15:52
I'm just c&ping this and haven't tried it myself, but others claim it works:-

Hidden Test Card W on Freeview
Doesn't work on all boxes/IDTVs but worth a shot. Might be useful for setting up your TVs levels.

1. Select BBCi channel 105
2. When BBCi appears press Yellow within 30 secs
3. Select another channel
4. Select BBCi channel 105
5. When BBCi appears press Green within 30 secs

A screen with the word 'Secret' will appear in the top right hand corner

6. Wait until the status page appears
7. Enter 3, 3, 5, 8, 2, Red, Green, Yellow, Blue
8. Wait another 30 seconds
9. Test card W will appear

Apparently, it's the girl with the noughts & crosses etc.

avoman
4th Sep 2008, 16:40
It works! Have not seen her in ages. I guess picture distortions are a thing of the past now but there are still colour balance issues

Rainboe
4th Sep 2008, 16:45
She dropped out of college and after several years of drug addiction had 5 babies with different fathers (she's not sure what order) and lives in a squat in Huddersfield with her lesbian girlfriend.

(actually she's a sweet little thing called 'Emily' or something like that who has grown up to be a very sweet grown up girl, still called Emily)

In fact, her name is Carole (with an 'e', and she was left handed and the picture is actually reversed 'cos it's a right handed world (sorry lefties, but that's life). Try to keep this from Glitter. (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/celebrity/british-children-too-ugly%2c-says-glitter-200808201188/)

Here she is in all her glory. Please sit and watch the screen for 4 hours:
Carole Hersee (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.barney-wol.net/video/testcardf/TCFscan_medium.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.barney-wol.net/video/testcardf/testcardf.html&h=400&w=528&sz=41&tbnid=h3rK9uU96WcJ::&tbnh=100&tbnw=132&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtest%2Bcard&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=2&ct=image&cd=1) I think there are many 38 year old men who still carry a torch for her!

tony draper
4th Sep 2008, 17:04
You civilians probably just think the test card was a interesting if rather boring picture,but everything on there had a purpose for those of us in the know.
Actually it were rather boring, one had a pattern generation that displayed a much more practical and useful series of test cards.
:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
4th Sep 2008, 17:34
The “X” marks the centre of the screen – it was there for a technical reason, to help people align their picture.
Talking about the Test Card - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/05/25/nosplit/bvtvtestcard25.xml)

airship
4th Sep 2008, 17:39
http://www.barney-wol.net/video/testcardf/TCFscan_medium.jpg

She's either going to write an 'X' or an 'O' next. And this could be significant. Because if it was an 'O', we would have had 'OXO'. This may be one of the earliest examples of what is today called subliminal advertising. But dating from a period when one would have thought that BBC test cards were never designed as such in order to offer an advertising spot for an important company. Perhaps, we're all wrong and the advertising agencies already had their finger(nails) dug well into those who came up with the BBC test-cards of that era. We'll probably never know for sure. Hope that anyone involved had a (happier) retirement as a result though, all things considered.

PS. If you do a Ctrl+Alt+Delete on that BBC testcard photo, the same little girl can be seen wearing a BBC-approved 2 piece swimsuit on the beach at Bognor Regis. Oh, puhleeze, do get a hold of yerselves...?! ;)

Euravia First
4th Sep 2008, 18:22
Clearly those of you posting here know a thing or two about Freeview -- so this prompts me to ask if anyone could kindly help me by telling me of possible reasons why I only receive the left hand sound channel when my set top digital box is activated.

The Sony TV produces Nicam sound on both channels when standard analogue channels are viewed but as soon as I switch on the { Tesco purchased about 2 years ago } digital box the right hand TV speaker is silent . This is particularly unwelcome at the moment when a Prom concert is watched ! It is also a nuisance when listening to panel discusiions such as " Just a minute" on the Radio 4 digital channel. I can only hear what those seated on the left hand side of the table are saying !

Is it a matter of a buying another box or is there some other possibility ?
I am viewing in Gloucestershire from Ridge Hill in case this is relevant. Thanks in advance for any ideas

G-CPTN
4th Sep 2008, 18:29
Are you sure that it's the original test-card?
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/05_02/TestKlass_468x351.jpg
Sky produced this last year.
In contrast to the original static image, however, Miss Klass will step out of the frame - and give viewers a ten-minute guide to high-definition television.

eticket
4th Sep 2008, 18:30
I think this may be a repeat but here are some of the other testcards (http://www.meldrum.co.uk/mhp/testcard/bbc_test.html).

Jetex Jim
4th Sep 2008, 18:34
Fans of 'Life on Mars' may remember when the test card girl hopped out of the screen to confront Sam.

http://blogs.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ianwylie/testcard200-thumb.JPG

Loose rivets
4th Sep 2008, 19:59
I'll go to the foot of our stairs. If anyone had told me I'd be in Texas with a larger than life-size test card C on me telly at age 69, I'd av said don't be daft. Spent hours looking at C.

Now I've made it me desktop pic as well.

The thing is, I'd have sworn that I used that card when I was mending tellies. But I stopped doing that in 59/ 60 to learn to fly, so it seems I must be wrong. False memory syndrome again. Lot of it about with me and me pals.:(

tony draper
4th Sep 2008, 21:07
I remember going into a house on a cable fault the old chap therein points to his 24 inch Avon black and white wired set and says "its in colour yer know son" pointing to testcard C on his telly,"is it" one responded,in that game one very quickly learned to tune out the punters one could respond to a entire conversation with apparent interest and not really hear a word they are saying.
Anyway this old chap keeps insisting his black and white telly showed colour so one just agreed and told him to hang onto it as it were a rarity.
All I could see was a very faded burned out tube, yer 24 inch Avon being prone to the tube going tits up.
Twer not uncommon for peeps to say they did not need to upgrade to colour as their telly showed colour anyway.
:uhoh:

Sallyann1234
4th Sep 2008, 22:09
Clearly those of you posting here know a thing or two about Freeview -- so this prompts me to ask if anyone could kindly help me by telling me of possible reasons why I only receive the left hand sound channel when my set top digital box is activated.

Go into the STB's setup menu, look for the Sound settings. You will find an option to select single language/second language/stereo. (The names are probably different to those but you will recognise it when you find it). You need to change the setting to stereo.

Euravia First
4th Sep 2008, 22:28
Thank you very much for the suggestion. I will check the settings tomorrow and see if the problem can be overcome.

Spitoon
4th Sep 2008, 22:35
PS. If you do a Ctrl+Alt+Delete on that BBC testcard photo, the same little girl can be seen wearing a BBC-approved 2 piece swimsuit on the beach at Bognor Regis.airship, are you sure about that? It didn't work for me.....but after trying out various key combinations I found that Alt+Shift+F7 did work.

Loose rivets
5th Sep 2008, 04:11
At the telly show at Earl's Court, One could purchase a plastic screen cover that was blue at the top, red ? in the middle, and green below. On average, it was more likely to give the right colours compared to any other combination. £1 it was. We got one used for two and sixpence.

Romeo India Xray
5th Sep 2008, 06:56
I seem to remember I wanted to marry her .... The dreams you have when you are but a 'nipper!

The Sky varient isn't too bad - maybe I will make her wife number 2 :hmm: - Hope Mrs RIX doesn't read this!

RIX

tony draper
5th Sep 2008, 08:08
I remember those three colour screen covers Mr riviets,hee hee.
I remember seeing my first colour television in a pub,one could hardly get in the door because word had got round of this new fangled device and I was probably more impressed than the civilians being in the business for a few years,one stood at the bar gawping at it almost forgetting me pint.
First one I saw in a domestic situation was few weeks later,chap had won a 25" dual standard set in a nationwide competition and it had made all the newspapers,a few of us and some of the boffins from head office attended the switch on to see that eveything ran smoothly, oddly enough returned to the same house many years later with a new set for the chap and he asked me to take the old set away.
:)

mustpost
5th Sep 2008, 08:37
Mr Drapes must remember his one – a friend of mine was in a previous life an aerial fitter. Called out to fix a poor signal at little old lady’s house, he managed to get a signal bounce off a hill at the back of her home, and was checking the (improved) picture when she protested, saying it wasn’t the same/as good as previously. OK, he said, reaching for the hold adjustment at the back, I’ll just run through the pictures and you tell me when you see the right one.
He then proceeded to gently roll the image over, using the hold until, sure enough after 4 or 5 rotations “That’s it” she confidently stated…..
;)

tony draper
5th Sep 2008, 09:00
Although one worked for a cable TV company(Rediffusion) we occasionaly did aerials as well,it were a nightmare in those days with few transmitters and some bad blind spots around me town hills valleys and such,again speaking of the early days of colour and test cards,I have seen perfect colour test cards from Germany and Scandyhooligia and not been able to get a peep from the local TV mast,spent many hour running up and down ladders standing on chimney tops in winter freezing me bum off swinging aerials,never again,still oft get neighbors and relatives knocking on me door or ringing up asking if one would have a look at their aerial as they have a new telly or have just bought a digibox,they are told to politely to buggah orf and look in the local paper which is awash wi aerial fitters,one works only at ground level now.
:rolleyes:
PS,Talking to a old workmate from that time a couple of weeks back,there's a knock at his front door,he opens same,old lady from up his street is standing there,
"Can you come and fix me aerial its blown down"
"Ere no missus,I'm retired I don't fix aerials now"
"But you put it up for me,I paid yer you should fix it,it's broke"
"Ere when was that missus I int done aerials for years"
"1977"

Loose rivets
5th Sep 2008, 10:32
I can still feel the fear. Atop a crumbling Colchester roof, probably a Norman skyscraper. As Drapes says, ice...perfectly nice summer day, but there was always ice on the ridge, and the nightmare bit where you got off the roof ladder onto the wall ladder. Easy going up, but a fearful maneuver coming down.

Tying the ladder was for Woosies.

Imagine today, sending someone's little sprog 4 stories up an old red tiled roof.:ooh:

tony draper
5th Sep 2008, 11:23
I remember when I was a bit green,but I had no particular fear of heights,we cut down a catenery that was slung from the chimney breast of one roof to the chimney breast of another across the road,we cut off the at that side and the span is hanging down flat to the roof on tother side so one just climbs up the ladder and shinnies up the span and chops it off with me trusty side cutters down the slope of the roof it slithers and drops into the street below,one noted said steepness of roof and how high said roof was from the ground far below,
How the **** do I get down now!!

Dan D'air
5th Sep 2008, 16:43
The Sky varient isn't too bad - maybe I will make her wife number 2

NOT TOO BAD.......Are you joking!!! The inimitable Ms. Klass is in my humble opinion a Goddess. Have you seen her wearing a yellow bikini in the M&S money ads?? Slavver......................

Romeo India Xray
6th Sep 2008, 21:31
Perhaps I have just found my one and only regret of being outside the UK - I have not seen her swimwear shots. We do have M and S here but alas without said test card object (that I would dearly love to put through a full test). Alas, I resign myself to being content with the version I have (I am writing this on her PC so I better be diplomatic - she is more clued up on things technical than I am, thus may be able to trace my words :uhoh:).