PDA

View Full Version : Data transfer from via LAN

Loose rivets
4th Sep 2008, 12:50
Kit is: Modest PC Running XP, hard wired to the router, and wireless to a laptop with the same OS. SBC ? router (Tiscali deal BB and phone. Bad news that!!!:mad: )

I managed to set up my friends system so that he could print from his laptop via the office computer upstairs, but had to stop there because of time constraints.

Right now he's carrying data with a USB 'Stick'

He doesn't want to e-mail himself, but would like to copy pictures and letters from one computer to the other. What is the best way to do this?

Bushfiva
4th Sep 2008, 14:26
There are many little applications that will keep two computers synchronised. Microsoft, for example, provides an applet that will synch folders across the internet. You may find that hitting the help button and reading up on the much maligned "briefcase" will be of use.

Saab Dastard
4th Sep 2008, 15:12
Not surprisingly, Microsoft's website has lots (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/default.mspx) of information!

SD

Loose rivets
4th Sep 2008, 18:32
Its the little application that I like the sound of. The MS help looks just what I need...but will have to be put on a back burner.

Just got down from an attic that's at 140f. my brain feels as though it's been poached.

As one who felt all the toys were worthless, I'm now having to eat my hat. Briefcase...now that's a thought. Wonder if it's with the stuff I stripped out trying to get a 'pure' operating system.:(

Keef
4th Sep 2008, 23:56
If he wants to synchronise the two PCs, then clever stuff is needed.

If he just wants to be able to copy files from one, using the other, then it's very easy.
I'm sure the link SD gave will do it. Basically,

1. Set the relevant folders as "shared",
2. Run the "Network Setup Wizard" (don't bother with the create a disk bit).
If you want to be imaginative, call the network something other than the MS default suggestion.
3. Use Explorer, "My Network Places", "Entire Network", "Microsoft Windows Network", and then find the network and the other machine(s) .

Takes a few minutes.

You can also connect to Linux machines - and maybe even Macs - like that.