PDA

View Full Version : WinME users - beware "oem*.inf" files

Squiddley
17th May 2001, 08:59
I've had problems for ages when installing new hardware - even properly! Most recently was adding USB drivers for a new digital camera.

After installing the software, the next instruction was to plug in the camera, power it on and let WinME do the rest. The theory worked fine!

What happened was the "scanning driver database" window came up, along with the percentage complete bar. That took literally 15-20 mins to get to the end, then another window came up advising the camera was detected, and the drivers were being installed. Here the system hungup, and nothing at all would solve it short of a CTRL-ALT-DEL.

After trying numerous work arounds, un/reinstalling things, tidying up, defragging etc., I hopped into the MS knowledge base where a suggestion is as follows (I forgot the URL):

Do a search for files named oem*.inf located in the C:\Windows\INF folder. For some reason WinME installs lots of these files of zero KB in size. Highlight them all (only those with 0KB size) and delete them.

I had OVER 25,000 of the stupid things, all named oemxxxx where xxxx is a number. When trying to delete them in one fell swoop (as per the MS procedure) the system hung again, so they went 3,000 at a time!

After doing this and emptying the recycle bin, I booted and the installation was a breeze. The detect hardware/scanning driver database windows whizzed through as they're supposed to, and VOILA the camera was installed.

The same problem has happened with other hardware, and I just soldiered on. So, if you're having probs with hardware detection/driver installation, give this a go.

OLD_EGG_BOUND
17th May 2001, 12:48
Win98 users beware winME.

Hew Jampton
17th May 2001, 14:36
As I said on another thread, one source of these files is Norton System Doctor not ME itself; it put over 25000 of them on my PC, and they block Windows Update among other things. Select All and Delete does work, but it can take literally hours.