PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Query

beerdrinker
4th Sep 2008, 10:48
This is for a friend - honestly.

He has an old Dell laptop.

Normally on Outlook (and Word), when you want to put a symbol (eg an accented letter) into the text you click on INSERT, then click on SYMBOL and choose the appropriate symbol and insert it.

However on his old Dell when using Outlook when he clicks on Insert, SYMBOL does not appear. (It works OK in Word - He has used that and cut and pasted into his message in Outlook)

So the question is how does he make SYMBOL appear in the list of options having selected INSERT.

Thanks

Saab Dastard
4th Sep 2008, 11:04
In Outlook (as opposed to Outlook Express), there is an option to use Word as the text editor. With this selected, you will find "Symbol" appearing. Otherwise not.

This is certainly the case with Office 2000, XP (2002) and 2003 - probably 2007 also, though I'm not sure.

SD

beerdrinker
4th Sep 2008, 11:14
SD,

Many thanks. Your answer forwarded to my pal.

Keef
5th Sep 2008, 00:25
Depending on how you have your machine set up, you don't need to use the SYMBOL thing anyway.

If you have a numeric keypad on your keyboard, try this:

1. Turn on NumLock and leave it on.
2. Hold down the Alt key, and on the numeric keypad, type 0 2 5 2.
3. Let go of the Alt key.

You should see ü appear.

With practice, you can get quite adept at that.

I have a little chart on the wall beside my PC with the relevant codes that I use.

There's an Excel sheet with the full set on my webspace here (http://www.kirbycane.plus.com/asciiset.xls)

The only tricky bit is remembering it's Alt-0 plus the code (three digits) - and let go.