PDA

View Full Version : 3 Man ULH from London

broadband circuit
4th Sep 2008, 07:10
Is it true that CX252 on Tuesday operated with only 3 crew? :confused:

jed_thrust
4th Sep 2008, 08:19
:(

Although the answer is "Yes", what I don't understand is why you couldn't look it up?

For the operating crew of that flight (and I'm NOT talking to ML) please check your roster to ensure that it reflects the correct multiplier. The few times I have had to fly with fewer than the originally rostered crew, ODC has (conveniently?) forgotten to upgrade my factor, eg from 1.07 to 1.14.

Max Reheat
4th Sep 2008, 08:21
Broadband....

Have a quick read of Vol 1 page 2-3-20 para 24.7/A.
That should put this one to bed, whether it's true or not!

Seeya

Max Reheat
4th Sep 2008, 14:23
Marvellous.... thanks for asking!

TopBunk
5th Sep 2008, 06:52
In BA we operate the BA25 as 3 crew in the winter, the BA27 and BA31 are 4 crew year round!

badairsucker
5th Sep 2008, 13:13
Dan, classic mate.

Topbunk, why do you BA guys say THE speedbird?????

The Wraith
9th Sep 2008, 14:28
Bloody hell, who cares? Some guys will take any opportunity to pick a fight!!:ugh:

badairsucker
9th Sep 2008, 15:25
Bloody hell, who cares? Some guys will take any opportunity to pick a fightchrist,

Are we not allowed to ask questions now? Who's talking about a fight:ugh::ugh::ugh: I would like to know! If you don't like that, don't bother replying.

1200firm
10th Sep 2008, 01:55
"THE Speedbird" is right up there with "FULLY ready" or "FULLY established".I might call "PARTIALLY ready" next time.:ok:

iceman50
10th Sep 2008, 02:28
Well you got one correct 1200firm, you can however be localiser only then fully established:).

Carnage Matey!
10th Sep 2008, 03:45
why do you BA guys say THE speedbird

Probably the same reason I sometimes hear "Cathay XXX ON CLIMB FL 250" - some people just don't know how to do proper R/T.

Nullaman
10th Sep 2008, 04:04
Probably the same reason I sometimes hear "Cathay XXX ON CLIMB FL 250" - some people just don't know how to do proper R/T

Ah that is a BIFO thing!

:}

ACMS
10th Sep 2008, 05:37
So what IS the correct call to centre on climb then? do tell

CodyBlade
10th Sep 2008, 07:14
''Finals/Final''?? always wondered about that one..

abc1
10th Sep 2008, 07:15
It's the UK radio phraseology for the speedbird.You have to report either of those two that you are picking on.

VR-HFX
10th Sep 2008, 08:57
Cody & Dan

FINALS is what I was taught with one rider...if you thought it was going to go pear-shaped and could be your last then by all means use FINAL:}

Loopdeloop
10th Sep 2008, 09:11
If you wonder where the term "fully ready" comes from, take a look at the LHR chart 10-1P6.
You'll find the term "fully ready" in quotations. That means that "fully ready" is what you're supposed to say in this instance.
If LHR is your home base, it wouldn't be surprising to hear this term being used by The Speedbirds whilst away from home base now would it?

I hope that those of you from the pedantic side of the Equator use the correct terminology on your visits to London!

VR-HFX
10th Sep 2008, 09:31
Just like opening day T5...you mean:eek:..and CLK for that matter.

badairsucker
10th Sep 2008, 11:04
If you wonder where the term "fully ready" comes from, take a look at the LHR chart 10-1P6.
You'll find the term "fully ready" in quotations. That means that "fully ready" is what you're supposed to say in this instance.
If LHR is your home base, it wouldn't be surprising to hear this term being used by The Speedbirds whilst away from home base now would it?

I hope that those of you from the pedantic side of the Equator use the correct terminology on your visits to London!

good explanation, but what about "THE" speedbird.:E

CodyBlade
10th Sep 2008, 13:10
Very funny guys,made my day..

Carnage Matey!
10th Sep 2008, 16:24
but what about "THE" speedbird

Or indeed "THE Cathay"? Your team aren't immune to using the definite article.:}

Yeager
11th Sep 2008, 02:17
Correct phrase is "climbing" or "decending". OR to put it in CX terms - whatever your checker wants :ok: Just play the game :eek: :D

Baywatcher
11th Sep 2008, 04:45
I think the thread has been lost!

Farrell
11th Sep 2008, 04:59
Speedbird are one of the lower level protagonists of the "THE" callsign.

The worst are "The Midland" crews.

Cavallier
11th Sep 2008, 05:13
I heard "THE Dragon 809" the other day!

The Cav :rolleyes:

Farrell
11th Sep 2008, 05:33
I have heard "THE Dublin Tower" on one occasion for a Midland who called up.
Was a nice retort.

Thread drift at its finest!

hawkeye
11th Sep 2008, 05:34
Check Communications section of Vol 2 Part 2. Word is 'Climbing" whatever your Checker says. If he says anything else he has not checked. And will CX crews stop using the word "clear" in the context of start clearance or pushback. It is incorrect in terms of ICAO terminology. Vol 2 Part 2 explains.

kmagyoyo
11th Sep 2008, 08:21
But not 'climbing to' :E

Thread drift; Check.

Re-entry
11th Sep 2008, 08:45
What about 'it's cathay xxx.'

Seems to be a canadian thing.

christn
11th Sep 2008, 09:49
I would be more than happy to say 'The Speedbird' if I could have their pension!

EXEZY
11th Sep 2008, 11:05
If it was still the final salary variety!

N1 Vibes
11th Sep 2008, 21:43
badairsucker

simple really - the BA XX. When you go to CX City do you take S64 or take the S64, take airport express or take the airport express, when on an anonymous chat room - take p!ss or take the p!ss?

PPrune - Professional Pilots in the air, Pedantic Prigs in anonymous chat rooms.

Regards,

N1 Vibes

(for those who don't know here is the dictionary definition of "prig" - noun - a person regarded as arrogant and annoying [syn: snob]. Quite appropriate for the behaviour displayed here towards your BA colleague)

badairsucker
12th Sep 2008, 06:15
I think THE N1 vibes needs to chill.

N1 Vibes
12th Sep 2008, 07:18
hook.....line.....sinker.....

badairsucker
12th Sep 2008, 07:24
hook.....line.....sinker.....

Don't you mean THE hook, THE line and THE sinker......

HKG Phooey
12th Sep 2008, 12:23
the End?

<----- just realised my location.... :ugh:

Glass Half Empty
12th Sep 2008, 22:25
Doh .....Glug*^$"!!!!

TopBunk
14th Sep 2008, 11:05
Well, I come on here and try to add some information to the original point re crewing ULH LHR-HKG. Some of you [insert appropriate adjective] then read into my post that by describing a flight operated as the [small letters, note] BA25 somehow infers that I use 'THE Speedbird xxx' on the RT - I don't, never have and never will and dislike it as much as you, probably.

Re-entry
14th Sep 2008, 15:54
Obviously not a bifo then, cause check mate 98 times is an awful lot of chess games on a 1.50 sector.

Aussie
14th Sep 2008, 20:53
Since its been mentioned, ill ask...

WHats the hell does "Squawk ..... Coming down" mean? Never heard Coming down before, and curious where it came from, as everyone uses it in Europe!

Carnage Matey!
15th Sep 2008, 00:34
"Coming down" comes from the States. They love it over there.

bobrun
15th Sep 2008, 06:57
"Point niner"; american R/T at its best! I suppose if you're from over there it could make sense...always thought it was sloppy R/T (sorry if I offend someone, not my intention).

ACMS
15th Sep 2008, 08:01
Everyone knows that's how they do it over there, it's their country and it seems to work out.

So either "go with the flow" or never do the radio.

ok

Sqwak7700
15th Sep 2008, 18:51
uhh, the controller assumed that you know that most ground control frequencies are 121.XX, so he left the 121 out. I thought that was common knowledge, I guess not.

Five Green
15th Sep 2008, 19:32
VR :

So that begs the question ...are you on downwind(s) then Base(s) and then finally on final(s) or is final really too (to) final for you brits ? Why just have more than one final if you only have one downwind and one base leg etc.

The mere fact that page 10(9) ......says to call "fully" ready.., does not make it any less ridiculous just plain ready would be fine. Every airport in the world does'nt want air crew calling up and wasting ATC time etc. etc. so using a redundant phrase is not going to make the average crew take it more seriously.

It is the same with calling your aircraft type. Who gives a toss if you are a 737 800 or an A320. Last time I checked you got treated exactly the same at LHR.

Although the colonies do have their quirks, I speak yankee as a first language and I was lost in JFK one night.

Guess it is all about getting the napkin brief on the local knowledge! !!

As George Carlin would have said (RIP George) every final destination is final.
(that is to say that final and destination are one and the same)

Peace out.......

VR-HFX
16th Sep 2008, 10:01
5G

A while since I have done circuits but as fate would have it I borrowed a bug smasher a few weeks back in Australia to do a rating. Downwind, base, finals seems the norm.

Calling ready does have some logic given that silence can see you muscled out of a pushback.

As to aircraft type, my experience is that this is useful information coming out of the race at Lambourne at the crack of dawn. Looking out the left hand window it is nice to know that what you are told is what is actually flying alongside you.

Sorry, I don't speak Yankee or Confederate for that matter...maybe that's why you got lost in JFK. Hope you found the gate eventually.

Lost me on the napkin brief. I wear boxers, less chaffing.

Thanks for the explanation (in brackets) of the George Calin expression. Certainly was a deep thinker...circa this...

People who go to Las Vegas, you've got to question their f.....g intellect to start with. Travelling hundreds and thousands of miles to essentially give your money to a large corporation is kind of f.....g moronic. That's what I'm always getting here is these kind of f......g people with very limited intellects.
An audience member shouted back that Carlin should "stop degrading us", at which point Carlin responded "Thank you very much, whatever that was. I hope it was positive; if not, well blow me." He was immediately fired by MGM Grand and soon after announced he would enter rehab for drug and alcohol addiction.

Carnage Matey!
16th Sep 2008, 10:51
It is the same with calling your aircraft type. Who gives a toss if you are a 737 800 or an A320. Last time I checked you got treated exactly the same at LHR.

On start up they're checking your aircraft type matches that which is stated on your flight plan. You'd be surprised how many operators file plans with the incorrect aircraft type on them.

Bograt
18th Sep 2008, 13:59
bifo? WTF You guys can't even get your insults spelled correctly. What is a bifo - "ByeFO" - a s e xually ambidextrous First Officer. It's BIFFO. Poms - :yuk: