PDA

View Full Version : Question about CX F/O position

Dimazoma
3rd Sep 2008, 21:20
Looking on the Cathay careers website, I noticed that the F/o position states that direct entry f/o's are initially employed at base ports other than hong kong. Can anyone explain this to me? Does it mean I can live in a base port like Toronto and be on a commuting contract or does it mean something else? Any help appreciated.

Saturn
4th Sep 2008, 06:44
A lot of folks are pissed off right now and if you take the job you would be screwing a lot of people WAY ahead of you. The company is BLANTANTLY violating our contracts. You might get the Shhite end of the stick when this all comes to head which it will be shortly. STAY AWAY FAR FAR AWAY.:mad:

Dimazoma
4th Sep 2008, 12:35
I was hoping for a less aggressive answer. I haven't even applied. I know people are upset by their jobs etc, but I just came here for some help. I am out of a job as my airline just went under, and I have a family to support. If there is someone out there that can answer my question, I was simply curious. It is not even something I am seriously considering at this moment......:confused:

lamp
4th Sep 2008, 13:28
I say you go ahead and look out for number one - quite a few unpleasant loudmouths from CX on here, and who needs them? :ugh:Your family and your livelihood are much more important than pleasing knee-jerk idiots like that, who more than likely lack the balls to take opinions like that beyond internet forums...I wish you every success! :ok:

MilPilot
4th Sep 2008, 14:15
Saturn - Didn't you join yourself as a DFO?

Dimazoma
7th Sep 2008, 01:25
Still wondering if a DEFO can be based in Toronto???? And no need to respond Saturn.....just looking for helpful advice or answers.....

DDDOF
7th Sep 2008, 02:04
Sorry to hear about Zoom
YYZ base is full, and service has been reduce, so don't think DEFO in YYZ will happen any time soon again, YVR last bid had over 20 people after 5 FO positions so don't think that will happen either. Best chance is LAX as it always less people bid than the positions available. However we have just reduce service to there as well. So who knows. lots of guys commute from Canada to the LAX base as it is usually only 3 trips a month with up to 18 days off. You will probably have to buy tickets on AC as no jumpseat agreement, you could also get ID90's on AC down to LAX but CX frowns on not showing up due to traveling on a pass. Most guys buy a ticket to work and travel home on a pass. CX recruiting seems to be spooling down at the moment and I think there are already lots in the holding pattern, so the process would be quite slow a year or more even if you were to apply right now. If you need a good job now, as you are out of work, I think the Middle East would be your quickest, best bet to start covering the bills again.
Good luck hope this helps eh??
GO LEAFS!!!

Dimazoma
7th Sep 2008, 15:47
Thanks DDDOF. I may have something going with Asiana through Parc. I've tried to read all that I can but I still have little idea what I'm getting myself into. I'm a little desperate. Like you said, the bills have to be paid.