PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone for internet connection

DB6
12th May 2001, 14:59
I am about to start a new job and move away from home for a while so will need to use my mobile to get online. I've got one of these dinky little Motorola V3688 phones, anyone know what I will need to connect to t'internet? I know I will need a cable and modem but do I need separate software or is there some already in Windows? Also I gather that you can only get about 9600 bps on the GSM network so am I right in guessing it will not be worth getting a cutting-edge modem?
Cheers DB6

ExSimGuy
13th May 2001, 11:11
If your phone will support data (most do these days, if not and you are on a contract it's time to upgrade) you won't need a modem, just the cable to the serial port of the pooter (if your phone and computer have infra-red you don't ned that either)

Just hook the phone to the serial port and tell WinDoze that you have a "standard modem" and you are up and running.

If you use an ISP with free or "local" call rates, be careful what the call rates are with the mobile!

------------------
What goes around . . .
. . often lands better!

johntrav69
16th May 2001, 02:05
I have a Nokia 6210e on Orange network and Plam IIIx. Connects at supposedly 48Kbps on infrared link to orange.net which is on a number included in talkplan. Very quick logon. If I want to surf the net I use a onetel 0808 freephone number which I get charged 1p/min at all times for, but this logs on slower and only at 28.8Kbps. Bargain! I understand that only Orange do the high speed connection at the moment.Hope this helps.