PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Council Tax

ORAC
3rd Sep 2008, 14:30
Gosh!!! A tax based on individual earnings. I know! Let's call it a Poll tax.... :E

Torygraph: End of council tax in Scotland to widen divide with England (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/scotland/2673729/End-of-council-tax-in-Scotland-to-widen-divide-with-England.html)
Council tax could be abolished in Scotland in the next three years, a move that would widen the growing difference in the way Scots and people in the rest of the United Kingdom live their lives.

Alex Salmond, the Scottish First Minister, said that he will introduce a bill to the Scottish Parliament that will do away with council tax and replace it with a local income tax.

Calling council tax "regressive and unfair" Mr Salmond said the move would lift 85,000 individuals from poverty and save the average Scottish family between 350 and 535 a year.........

UniFoxOs
3rd Sep 2008, 15:46
Well, it got rid of Maggie, maybe it will do the same for him!!

UFO

G-CPTN
3rd Sep 2008, 16:56
Worked in Denmark (in the 80s) . . .

Capot
3rd Sep 2008, 18:26
Let's call it a Poll tax.Income tax, isn't it? Just like the USA's local state tax. Not a Poll tax.

save the average Scottish family between 350 and 535 a year......... Ah, here we go again. Another wonderful benefit for the Scots, and as always at English expense. How many Scots families are there? Let's guess 2 million, to be conservative. So they will, put together, pay 885,000,000 less tax, or thereabouts. Perhaps 1bn less. Will the Scottish Parliament cut its expenditure by that amount?

You got it; not until hell freezes.

So the English will pay, and the average tax burden on each English family will be increased by, say, 200.

I don't mind that, don't get me wrong, I want to pay 200 more every year, in addition to what I already pay to keep Scotland in freebies, so that Scots families can pay less tax and be even more different. It gives me a warm feeling.

But wait a moment; just why are we subsidising these people?

Richard Taylor
3rd Sep 2008, 19:04
*groans* :hmm:

Standard Noise
3rd Sep 2008, 19:07
Glad I don't live north of the border, this would cost me an extra 600 a year, and for what?

The Dim Lebs keep bandying a similar idea about down here but they want an 'average' of 3.5% which makes Salmond's tax cheaper.

G-CPTN
3rd Sep 2008, 19:09
Isn't this a preliminary move to persuade the English to 'let go' of Scotland?

The word on the Beeb today is that the Scots receive significant Council Tax rebate/relief payments from Westminster, which might be discontinued (if there was no such thing as Council Tax) . . .
The Treasury says that if Scotland no longer has a council tax, it will not be entitled to 400 million in council tax benefit paid to Scots claimants.
Mr Salmond wants that money to be handed over to his administration, but UK ministers say it would be retained by the Treasury instead.

G-CPTN
3rd Sep 2008, 20:33
b) To be similar to council tax each council would have to set their own rate of tax.That would mean different 'rates' between Edinburgh and Mellon Udrigle . . .

Low Flier
3rd Sep 2008, 22:07
Bring it on!

Wee Eck's proposed abolition of the wealth tax and replacing it with a tax on Scottish jobs is uncharacteristically stupid, but is a sign of what the establishment of the Sheeple's Republic of Jockistan would be like.

One currently pays 3,015.06 pa in wealth/roof tax. A 3% income tax on one's income of circa 100,000 would be tax-neutral, but one has an accountant who is competent to rearrange one's self-assessment to convert "income" into capital gains.

youngskywalker
4th Sep 2008, 14:15
Here we go again, the usual suspects on pprune indulge in some more Jock bashing! bring it on...:ok:

For the record, and this might even surprise some of you Anglo Saxons, but not all Scottish are ardent nationalists.

Der absolute Hammer
4th Sep 2008, 14:30
Salmond knows the idea will never pass the Scotch parliament.
The risk of loosing 400 million in payments from England is too great.
The whole thing is a cunning plot to position Salmond as a tax reformer, to appeal to the voters.
Salmond is a canny Scotchman who successfully positions himself to out manouevre Whitehall.

iws
4th Sep 2008, 15:04
...so speaks someone who can't even spell "Scots" properly.....

Der absolute Hammer
4th Sep 2008, 15:26
I did not try to spell Scots.
I will correct Scitchman,

Scooby Don't
4th Sep 2008, 15:56
Yet another son of Englandshire who has yet to realise that the people of Scotland are not named after a drink. DaH probably doesn't realise that the Scottish monarchy took over Englandshire in 1603 either.

For the record people, there is no such thing as "Scottish independence". There is dissolution of the Union, which would result in two independent states (Englandshire should hold on to Wales; a pre-union aquisition) plus one orphan since Northern Ireland, despite being part of what was once an English colony, came into being long after the union and, just to complicate things, Ireland was technically included in the Union.

As for Englandshire taxpayers making any shortfall in Wee Eck's accounting, I think there may be a willful misreading of things. The "average" Scottish family may pay less, but the rich ones will be paying a whole lot more. In any case, council tax and its antecedents pay for local authority services and there's no mechanism for the council tax payers of Surrey to subsidise Highland and Islands Regional Council.

tony draper
4th Sep 2008, 16:07
I don't care I have dual nationality.:)

Der absolute Hammer
4th Sep 2008, 16:10
Not a son of Englandshire nor the province of Scotland. Curious, Samuel Johnson callls the people Scotch. So does AJP Taylor, of Communist descent.
I know about James V1, Scotland, James 1 of England. But do you know about George the German who took over in 1714 from the Stuarts who ran away to France?
But you are right, at 3% to begin, a pilot on a good salary will pay a heavy price. Unlike the USA, State type tax will not be deductible from Federal or National tax.

BlooMoo
4th Sep 2008, 17:07
How is it proposed to work if you have property in both Scotland and England and your income is earned in England? Do you then basically have your income taxed higher simply because you own property in Scotland? Would that be 3% (probably more) flat on your gross income or would it be offset against existing national thresholds. Would it just be on PAYE or are dividends included?

If that's not the case then how would Scottish vs non-Scottish UK income be assessed?

BladePilot
4th Sep 2008, 17:20
DaH you are in serious danger of inciting feelings of anger! Scotch when applied to the individual is regarded as extremely offensive by the good folks of Scotland. Check it out in any good dictionary and you'll understand why!
Samuel Johnson? AJP Taylor? significance to this thread?

And surely Salmond is in the position he's in because the majority have already voted with their feet? anyone who can out manoeuvre a bunch of muppets in Whitehall gets my vote!

Applies to any non Scot! do us a favour and never refer to our Single Malt Whisky (note spelling), the 'water of life' as Scotch as we find that equally offensive. The best Single Malt Whisky in the world is Highland Park which is distilled using the old methods on the Isles of Orkney if you drink alcohol and enjoy Whisky try it you'll love it.

Roll on full independence, I for one will return home from my worldly travels. Maybe we'll rebuild that wall!

tony draper
4th Sep 2008, 17:45
Buggah! one may have to shed one of one's Grouse Moors.:rolleyes:

Der absolute Hammer
4th Sep 2008, 17:49
I read Johnson, Taylor and Rowse in English. All refer to northern tribes as Scotch but Scots is fine.
Good luck with independence! The test for you will come when you take on Brussels, a bit harder than Whitehall Muppets.
Islay whisky is a bit peaty really. Arran 10yr is fine, like the vanilla trace, for ordinary drinking. Carn Mor 1965 for special occasions, Glen Grant Cask. It is a little young still.. But best of all of course is the winner of World Whisky Awards top Malt prize this year/ April and strange to say it is called Yoichi and comes from Nikka Distillery.
You should try it!

tallsandwich
4th Sep 2008, 18:40
I don't have a problem spelling the many words that describe those living north of the border and who keep banging on about Scotland; it is just that I never used the word Scotsman for this purpose :}

Der absolute Hammer
4th Sep 2008, 18:46
Now I understand the cunning humour of the English wit. Scotsmen then are either newspapers or flying trains?

preduk
4th Sep 2008, 19:04
Typical ignorant replies on this forum; stop reading your crappy anti-Scottish press and do your own research for once, maybe then you will see the lies that are being put across to you.

Thank god for the SNP we now have a party that cares about the people of Scotland and not what Westminster thinks of us.

Duff beer
4th Sep 2008, 19:15
Thank god for the SNP we now have a party that cares about the people of Scotland and not what Westminster thinks of us

Are you 7 years old?

Richard Taylor
4th Sep 2008, 19:25
SNP are in because those in power in Westmister have made such an almightly bloody piss-up of it. Labour/Tories couldn't organise the preverbial in the you-know-what. And the people of Scotland are sick of Labour taking them for granted.

DG101
4th Sep 2008, 19:30
Isn't Cooncil Tax levied against the value of the property? Perhaps Wee Alex is preparing for the time when house prices drop to a point where the CT won't be worth gathering.

But then we all know house prices won't drop, don't we Orac? :}

iws
4th Sep 2008, 19:56
I agree with preduk and I am considerably more than 7 years old thank you.