PDA

View Full Version : Terrorist Alert!

vanman
7th Oct 1999, 14:50
A week or so ago I subscribed to the Rumours & News forum digest. At first one send every day or so was helpful.

For the past two days or so I have however seemingly been mail bombed by PPrune http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif. I have so far received the entire digest 168 times in two days. 58 Copies appeared in my inbox this morning alone (c. 2mb).

Is anyone else suffering the same fate?

Capt. Pprune is this update schedule intentional and if so how do I unsubscribe? :) Oh, and while you're there, is the same facility available for the private forums? If I mention more than a passing interest in the debonair forum at the moment, you may appreciate my current interest!

Van :) :) :)

Capt PPRuNe
7th Oct 1999, 15:05
It tells you at the bottom of every digest how to unsubscribe. I get no feed back except to list the emails that have received the bulletin. I'll remove your email from the list for you.

Sounds like your email address isn't appreciated by the system.

To subscribe to a private forum there is a link in every private forum description where you can apply. To help you just go to http://www.pprune.org/pub/private.shtml

There are no digest facilities for private forums and I am only running the digest on this forum on a day by day basis.

For all the details on how to make the most of the PPRuNe bulletin board go to the Frequently Asked Questions link near the top right of every page on the bulletin board (faq's) but again, just to help you and the hundreds of others who email me every day with the same questions here is an instant link: http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/faq.html

------------------
Capt PPRuNe

vanman
8th Oct 1999, 12:59
Capt PPrune-

Did you remove me from the mailing list? I am still receiving large volumes. I have unsubscribed myself today and will soon see if that helps.

I have some relevant feedback for you:-

I received three normal, complete copies of the forum digest. Sent 26/09/99@21:54, 30/09/99@0804 & 30/09/99@1245. These, as you stated above, do contain instruction for unsubscribing at the end of the message. In fact, all three contain this information 51 times!
I then received 45 identical copies all apparently sent at 05/10/99@02:32. None of these appear complete and none contains the unsubscribe info at all.
I then received 2 identical copies all sent at 06/10/99@01:27. Just to confirm these are also incomplete and terminate at exactly the same point as the messages described above.
Subsequently I have recieved these two sends , in a seemingly random pattern, a further 178 times (total) and counting. All incomplete.
Although the messages are all reported as having been sent at one of the two times mentioned above, they are being sent continuously. It's not just that a lot were sent in one or two 'lumps'. I download my mail regularly and there's always a few more!

I am a great fan of PPrune. The last thing I want to do is complain. However, this does smell a bit "buggy". Maybe the above info will help you sort out the problem. (All times BST)

Cheers,

Van :) :) :)

Capt PPRuNe
8th Oct 1999, 14:47
I removed your email from the list.

I have not heard from anyone else about this problem. There are several hundred people on the list and so far yours is the only complaint so I think it must be your mail server struggling with the large files.

Normally, if a message cannot get through I am notified of a mail error and so far I have not received anything.

Sorry, I can't help you any more than this.

------------------
Capt PPRuNe
The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

PS. I'm closing this thread here and you can continue it in the Computers/Internet forum.

[This message has been edited by Capt PPRuNe (edited 08 October 1999).]