PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring pilot needs help

Nuthead61
3rd Sep 2008, 09:22
Halow african pilots:-)

am an aspiring pilot from kenya...soon i would like to go to southafrica for training but i got a major problem:(...i dont knw wt skul 2 go to...i have found three choices..1)progress flying school..2)cape flying services...3)pretoria flying school..
So for al u who knw bot da schools in s.africa..wch 1 u tnk iz gud?or do u tnk thrz anotha datz cheap enuf bt GUD whr i cn gt a gud ppl/cpl/me/ir/night

Euro_Pilot
3rd Sep 2008, 09:31
Out of those three Progress Flight Academy is definitely your best bet. Going their next year myself.

Beechdrivr
3rd Sep 2008, 10:34
Ok and now in English please.:eek:

BD

Nuthead61
3rd Sep 2008, 11:43
Yow tnkz euro pilot...i ws evn tnkn of joinin nxtyr bt dnt knw da exact date...bydx gt anoda que...da fulboard acomadatn at progres!do thy include 3 mealz or?plz enlightn me snc u goin dr!
n snc u in s.afrca you would know hw much da ful cost of training is...u knw da skul has given me bt i want an exact figure from da ground so dat i cn prepare maslf.

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Sep 2008, 11:47
http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/340020-thread-grammar-2.html

Euro_Pilot
3rd Sep 2008, 13:55
E-mail them and ask what the cost of their Professional Pilots Course is, here's the link Progress Flight Academy - South Africa (http://www.flightacademy.co.za/contactus.htm) . They will e-mail you a brake down of what you are getting for your money. I think their prices will be updated at the end of this month so best you e-mail and ask fo the prices again next month.

Euro_Pilot
3rd Sep 2008, 14:02
Sorry, I would have to agree with Beechdrivr and SRT, a few english lessons wont do you any harm.

Nuthead61
3rd Sep 2008, 15:13
Haha sorry guys,i have been using the short message texts english but am fluent in both writing and speaking english as u know in kenya we use english too much that we kind of not speaking our national language!anyway thanks lots you all.

Bucket
3rd Sep 2008, 15:44
Nuthead

You need ICAO level 4 English. Get it right from the start and you might be taken more seriously. You're not going to impress anyone by beginning your request for help in the manner you did. Are you for real or do you think it's ok to come across as you did? Not impressed.

:suspect:

incher
3rd Sep 2008, 17:23
Don't go to Cape Flying Services i am sure the price sounds good and you are being promised the world but you pay for what you get ( and at cfs your are still paying too much!!!!!) I agree with everyone try progress!

EladElap
3rd Sep 2008, 19:56
Nothing wrong with CFS. I went there and along with a many other people thoroughly enjoyed the very thorough and high level of training I received. CFS has trained a number of Kenyan students and I still have a few of their email addresses if you'd like to contact them first hand Nuthead.

Regards

Nuthead61
3rd Sep 2008, 22:38
Hallo again
Honestly bucket i did not have an idea that this forum was formal thats why i sounded rather immatured with my english at first,since i have now known that this is a place for grown ups..i will do my best to fit in...sorry to all...

Nuthead61
3rd Sep 2008, 22:51
Eladelap

i think you can now see what dilemma i am going through.people telling me progress is good,others cfs is good..by the way i appreciate all you help...so eladelap i think the kenyan trainees emails would do me great since i would know whats happening with them after they get back them in relation to their carrers.
By the way does anyone know about the ethopian airlines pilot school in addis ababa,how much is their course and how good the school is?

Euro_Pilot
4th Sep 2008, 08:05
Just do a search on the forum for CFS, then you will see/read the true story.

Gooneybird
4th Sep 2008, 08:38
yeah please use standard English dude.

Do not pay ANY money up front to ANY flight school. Use any school you want but pay by the hour.

dynamicd
4th Sep 2008, 10:35
Excellent school, facilities, plus you get trained the airline way from the beginning,they have very high standards and a culture of discipline.These are what airlines expect prospective pilots to have.

You can also get all the above in SA schools like 43 and progress academy in addition, have alot of fun in terms of outdoor activities,night life etc.You will also get to train with people from different nationalities varied cultures etc which I believe is education itself.I recommend you go to SA but the training at the ethiopian academy is good!

Nuthead61
4th Sep 2008, 10:59
dynamicd

thank you for the information about ethopian airlines academy,a have tried to contact them but there must be something wrong with their email,you would do me great if you would know how much the cost is at ethopia.thanks.

negus
6th Sep 2008, 13:54
Wouldn't touch CFS with a barge pole! Read Cygnini's posts on pprune to see why. In George FTC is way better! One of the owners is a A340 training captain with SAA and the other is an ex-south african airforce Silver Falcons pilot.
Otherwise some good schools in Johanesburg. Flight Training Services at Grand Central - also airline pilots or Babcock.

alpha-b
6th Sep 2008, 14:24
To the best of my knowledge Ethiopian Airlines flying school is a top notche training organisation i'd say in a worldwide way,however on many occasions i was told it's way expensive i even doubt as to if they'll accept a self-sponsored but the training is tailored as per airline standard.South Africa would be the ideal place to train now,i'd recommend Progress,FTS and Babcock very good schools to train,but in my opinion joburg is the best place to train good weather throughout the year,more facilities for instrument flying,good situational awareness because of congested airspace makes your radio skill the best and you get to see really the effect of density altitude that affects performance sometimes as joburg is High,Your best bet would be FTS and BABCOCK both based in Grand-central airport in Midrand halfway between joburg and pretoria but in fact much closer to joburg

Nuthead61
7th Sep 2008, 09:41
Hey alpha,

i really appreciate your help guys...its a big problem getting to choose a good flying school but anyway i will consider your advices before coming down to southafrica...

if there any kenya pilots reading this...can you please tell me what happens after my training i.e after achieving ppl/cpl/mer/ir/night when i get back home,what and where should i go to get a job?

digitalsoul
7th Sep 2008, 10:23
Alright! I see u got loads of guts about flying and having a school, and i think in your world...seems like you got all these big dreams figured out...like there is also some uncle job waiting for you to hand to you his 747 to drive after your CPL...which is cool... For me i wouldnt even be asking for jobs right now.... I rather concentrate on getting my student pilot license then a PPL...because you never know, flying might actually not be for you in the first place. When you start asking for jobs now, even without an SPL it irritates some of us who already completed everything and also asking for jobs! Please first find a school... it is not easy as it sound... see how the industry are. By the way, no hard feelings...I am actually some one who can answer all your questions...about kenya..Uganda, etc because I live in Kenya too. As for schools, I recommend you go to FTS, a very good school in Joburg. Go to Joburg area, flying is good there and weather is great-by now, i know you still probably don't understand when they say weather is good there for training and why they say that! that's why i suggest you concentrate more on the learning side, than the job side...peace, if needed i might give you some contacts of kenyan students in SA.

encounter150
7th Sep 2008, 12:19
hi digitalsoul,
I have finnished all my training over in the UK and have a JAA Frozen ATPL with 230 hours. What opportunities are there in Uganda, if any for a low hours pilot. I have lived and worked all over east and southern Africa so am familiar with the area.
cheers

alpha-b
7th Sep 2008, 14:55
Hey digitalsoul
I wouldn't agree much with u,the dude is very enthusiastic about flying so it's very normal for him to query about job prospects at his stage,u must always plan ur actions ahead,otherwise telling him to observe what the trend is by doing the 1st step won't encourage him to pursue his dream,therefore he needs to know where he's heading to and get a clearer picture.U never know on completion of his comm he may be called by KQ to join on 737 NG it's still happening,so it's also a factor of being at the right place and right time.As for u don't worry something will come ur way very soon don't despair,i myself tarmaced for 2 years before i got a job.Peace to all

Nuthead61
8th Sep 2008, 04:43
Digital,
honestly am the type of person who likes asking lots of questions,end up asking stupid things at times,but with my questions at the end might make me get a good answer that will helpful,no wonder what you replied me is very helpful.
firstly i always thought PPL and SPL were the same thing..please tell me whats the difference...and ...what i actually need to go learn when i go to S.A interms of the license and ratings qualifications to be ready for a job in kenya?(i know am asking about job again but thats ma goal,to work as a pilot,so before moving in to a carrer you have to look at job prospects)
secondly the contacts of the kenyan students would do me great help..thanks..

TheEagle
8th Sep 2008, 09:56
i m about to finish my comms from FTC george,right next door to CFS
all i can tell u is dont go to CFS,their students are running to joburg to finish fast.
they are too slow n u barely get flying there.
FTC is much better then them.

extremevix
27th Sep 2008, 10:16
Hello all,
I finished my CPL/Multi Training in Kenya and have been looking for a job for 10 months now at Wilson, Nairobi. I've been told to check up on vacancies later on but no good has come of it. Any heads up on where to look at?
Thanks

xplorer
30th Sep 2008, 08:57
Nuthead61, walk into the government press offices and just buy the CAP394.. air laws of Kenya (you'll still need it when you come back to Kenya for your conversion), and there you'll get all your answers! :ok:

Tornado001
30th Sep 2008, 18:11
I did my flight training at progress..and I have one word for it..FRUSTRATIONS. The training is very slow and they have no instructors.One thing you will enjoy is when they throw you in a desert called Victoria west."fair weather base" I dont know how much fair weather you get there coz in summer its so turbulent it beats logic in teaching a student something simple as straight and level flight.Something positive about progress is you get to fly very new aircraft....and their standards of training are very high.

ARENDIII
30th Sep 2008, 21:13
Hello there,
Have never had the opportunity to go to Addis but wou'd love to. Have heard that their simulator training is world class but may only start from B-757, B-767 etc. As for Ethiopian airlines radio work-usually impeccable-very unusual for people that have to cross africa from east to west and back again-sure puts spots onto carriers like our middle eastern friends!-WELL DONE CHAPS! KEEP IT UP.
Arend III.

mwafrika
8th Oct 2008, 14:55
Nuthead61,
I agree with the previous comments, your first impression was not good. In future refrain from using text message language on any forum you participate in, it makes you appear immature and unproffesional. With flight schools, your best bet is to visit them in person and make your own judgement. I won't attempt to give you advice on SA flight schools since I went to Florida and now flying here in the states. Mind you, I'm not telling you not to take advice from people but in the long run, everyone's learning style, pace and preferences is different. I take it you're a self sponsored student so if you are willing to part with the kind of money flight schools are asking for, it's only a good idea to see where you want to spend your money. I know a few KQ sponsored pilots who attended 43 air school and they said it was nice. Do plenty of research and decide for yourself.
Digital, your comments are utterly uncalled for. Everyone of us who ventures into flight schools has a goal and its to get hired and make money doing what you've always dreamt of. There's nothing wrong with asking about jobs before going to flight school. Nuthead61, good luck with your search and all the best in your career.
PS: The conversion process is long and costly so be prepared for that but keep your head up. If you love it enough, you'll make it.