PDA

View Full Version : Flt Sim 2002

spannersatcx
10th May 2001, 22:38
Just when you thought you'd got FS2000 working, along comes another one......
Flight Sim 2002: Microsoft Autumn £57.99 Pro £39.99 Std

Below is a link to an independent preview from Peter James at HERE (http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/special/fs8hands.htm). It's worth reading !!

There will 2 versions Pro and Standard, the same as MSFS 2000.
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 is the new edition of Microsoft's highly realistic, graphically advanced flight simulator, the best-selling PC flight simulation game ever. Flight Simulator 2002 is a revolutionary release in the history of the Flight Simulator franchise. It includes real-time, interactive Air Traffic Control (ATC), stunning new scenery and visual effects using Microsoft's new "AutoGen" technology and new airplanes - including the Boeing 747-400 and Cessna's highly successful Caravan in both land and amphibious configurations.

Features:

* Interactive Air Traffic Control (ATC). For the first time, FS includes realistic, detailed air traffic control. Through pop-up menus and key commands, you ask for permission for taxi, takeoff, en route clearances, approach, and landing, and you hear ATC's instructions.

* Auto-Generated Scenery. As you fly above cities, towns, farmland, and landscapes, FS automatically adds buildings and vegetation appropriate to the scenery below. These objects smoothly blend in at the horizon and fill the area with detail that adds unprecedented depth and reality to the scenery in FS.

* Crowded Skies. While autogen fills in the ground details, the new AI system generates air traffic around and between airports. You're no longer the only plane in the sky.

* Stunning Aircraft Models and Effects. The detail and special effects you saw in CFS2 now appear in FS. High-detailed aircraft models with subtle lighting effects and more animated parts, puffs of smoke from the tires at touchdown, splashes from floats, and improved clouds and weather add to the realism and immersion.

* New Aircraft. The most popular and asked for planes in Flight Simulator history are now at your control. Now you can pilot the Cessna Caravan on amphibious floats, the Boeing 747-400, and the Cessna 172S Skyhawk.

* Improved Virtual Cockpits. If you have a 3D graphics card, you can enjoy FS from a new perspective- 3D cockpits with working instruments.

* Flight Analysis. Pilots working to improve their skills and enthusiasts looking for new challenges and bragging rights can check the precision of their flying against a detailed record of their flights that uses a map and graphs to show how well they maintained course, altitude, and speed.

* New Lessons and Challenging Flights. The addition of the floatplane and other aircraft opens new possibilities for engaging activities. You can be a bush pilot in Alaska, fly a 747, or earn an instrument rating in the Skyhawk. We've added many new lessons and adventures that help new users get into FS for the first time and challenge experienced FS pilots.

* Tools for add-on developers. We're including gMax, a 3-D modelling tool from Discreet. Add-on developers can create scenery objects using an industry-standard format. We've also included a vastly improved Flight Dynamics Editor that makes modifying and creating FS aircraft much easier.

Number 30,000
11th May 2001, 01:29
Spannersatcx,

Got any idea of what the system requirements will be?

Cheers!

Evo7
11th May 2001, 10:38
I've only just got a machine that can run FS98 well - FS2k is too slow, and so I'd guess FS2002 probably needs a Cray T3-E
or something...

InFinRetirement
11th May 2001, 17:06
Thanks for bringing it on Spanners. MORE than just a little interesting.

I think the system requirements will be more or less as for FS2K. I got a new GeForce and I upped my Ram to 256 (which is so cheap to do now) and the change was a terrific improvement. However, I am still not a lover of FS2K.

FS2002 looks like a winner to me - if we are to believe Peter James.

Nice to look forward to I think.

[This message has been edited by InFinRetirement (edited 11 May 2001).]

aisleman
11th May 2001, 19:59
Didn't know Cray could cope with Windows ME? :-)

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif
aisleman

Iz
12th May 2001, 11:16
The problem with FS2K was that it relied heavily on the CPU for it's 3D rendering, which is totally stupid. I replaced my old Savage 3D card with a Geforce2MX card and got maybe a 5% increase in performance.

FS2002 will apparently use the Combat Flight Sim 3rd generation rendering engine which uses the 3D accelerator card MUCH more.

Result will most likely be that on the same computer, FS2002 will perform much better than FS2K.

Think about it, the 3D environments in FS2K are not that intensive. Take a look at a game like Alice that has stunning 3D environments and works extremely smooth in the highest resolution on my machine.

Evo7
14th May 2001, 11:24
aisleman

I'd guess you'd just make it to the blue screen of death very quickly... :)

Captain Cessna
14th May 2001, 13:40
Hey!.. I have Win ME, and its not tha

Flyswift
17th May 2001, 00:09
Capt. Cess

Machine running Windows ME? Did it crash before you could finish your response? tehe

:)

Vortex Wake
17th May 2001, 02:13
My FS 2000 is still on the shelf waiting for something better than my 400Mhz/Voodoo 3.What a slide show grahics wise that was!!