PDA

View Full Version : A Fitting Welcome Home to the RAF Regiment

soddim
2nd Sep 2008, 19:47
Stamford welcomes the Regiment home:

BBC NEWS | UK | Hundreds welcome returning airmen (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7593542.stm)

Mr C Hinecap
2nd Sep 2008, 20:28
Excellent news, great coverage and a well-deserved return for the Sqn.

But...

I don't bemoan their welcome and parade at all - they deserved it, it should happen.

What about the rest of the guys and girls deploying as singletons and trickling in and out of the UK on their own? No parade, a solo trip to / from BZZ, no colleagues with them. Deploying as non formed units means they don't have a cohesive team around them and can often be more exposed to the mental aspects that are more and more common. What can we do for them? Parades and all of that is good stuff, but so many of the RAF (and the other Services) get nothing. Do we just accept that gulf of difference? I can't reconcile this one in my own head. What do you think?

JMP6
2nd Sep 2008, 20:37
Just be glad that there is some recognition. I am.

Al R
2nd Sep 2008, 21:49
Per Ardua.

I'm surprised the boys were allowed to parade in uniform. :suspect:

pr00ne
2nd Sep 2008, 22:04
Al R,

Why??????????

Al R
2nd Sep 2008, 22:08
:oh:

ICATQ

Al R
3rd Sep 2008, 07:03
I agreed 100% with Hinecap's post.

Its all down to individual officers and SNCOs attitude and approach though, and in my (now outdated by a few years, admittadly) experience, many (not all) RAF ones sucked big time. And I regretably include Fireguard callsigns in that. Although one or two went the extra mile when confronted with a situation, that was because of personal qualities and levels of compassion that you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere, and rarely little to do with a sense of duty or professionalism bought about through training or indoctrination, or actually caring for the men.

FCWhippingBoy
3rd Sep 2008, 09:38
I'm surprised the boys were allowed to parade in uniform. :suspect:

Why??????????

:oh: ICATQ

Possibly a reference to this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/7282348.stm)?!

forget
3rd Sep 2008, 10:03
Possibly a reference to this?!

Countered by THIS. (http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/Community-leaders-unite-in-uniform.3856037.jp)

Avitor
3rd Sep 2008, 10:19
"Countered by THIS. (http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/Community-leaders-unite-in-uniform.3856037.jp)"

....and the posting to Afghanistan of a certain female Croup Captain.

Gainesy
3rd Sep 2008, 10:21
Looks like his cabbage kit is three sizes too big.

Horror box
3rd Sep 2008, 10:34
.......3 sizes too big, not pressed, boots not polished, sideburns well below the mark, and wtf is that on his head.........:rolleyes:

Gainesy
3rd Sep 2008, 10:56
Beret a la Rock.:)

Airborne Aircrew
3rd Sep 2008, 12:14
and wtf is that on his head

Too funny... For any non-Regiment person to criticize the beret of a Rock is, at best, laughable... at worst it's pathetic. By far the most ridiculous berets in the entire Armed Forces, (except, perhaps, the Royal Navy), are to be found on the heads of non-Regiment RAF ranks... and, more often than not, they are to be found adorning the heads of officers.

The lad is a little creative maybe, but it doesn't serve to make him the laughing stock of the British Military, (not quite anyway :}).

Well done to the lads of 3 Squadron.

The Helpful Stacker
3rd Sep 2008, 15:21
Too funny... For any non-Regiment person to criticize the beret of a Rock is, at best......

Fully agree with you AA. At least the chap has tried to do something with his beret other than take it out of packet, fit badge and hide it in a desk drawer for those awkward times when its needed to pop across to SHQ.

The 'Chief Tech Beret' is sadly not a form of headdress restricted to those smell faintly of wee and regaling all with 'war stories' from RAFG days.

Oh and by the looks of things his beret is pretty sun-bleached and knowing the non-Regiment units at Wittering he has probably spent a fair old amount of time gaining a few proper war stories.

diginagain
3rd Sep 2008, 15:34
I was trying to think of a witty Pongo retort, THS; then I remembered that my niece's finacée lost his three room-mates during his last op tour.

LOTA
3rd Sep 2008, 15:36
Good to see some recognition of the 3 Squadron lads; well done, fellas. Good blokes to work with at Aldergrove a few years back

Roger the cabin boy
3rd Sep 2008, 18:12
Regarding the NFU personnel, perhaps other RAF Stations could do what RAF Odiham did earlier in the summer (that less cold part of the rainy period). Whilst the term "Heroes Parade" is probably a bit much, gathering together a broad range of ranks and trades, all of whom have deployed to one of the 2 main theatres, and have them march through the local town is certainly a very pleasant and touching gesture and engenders very good relations with the local community. Not sure if other stations do it too, but in my opinion, very worthwhile.

Mr C Hinecap
3rd Sep 2008, 18:58
"Countered by THIS."

....and the posting to Afghanistan of a certain female Croup Captain.

If you know nowt, best to say nowt. Situation is extant. Nothing to do with gender, rank or postings.

Horror box
3rd Sep 2008, 19:10
By far the most ridiculous berets in the entire Armed Forces, (except, perhaps, the Royal Navy), are to be found on the heads of non-Regiment RAF ranks... and, more often than not, they are to be found adorning the heads of officers.

Totally agree.......but still - wtf is that on his head!!!!:} I have been involved in some serious beret shaping in my time, this lad needs some help from good platoon sgt!

The Helpful Stacker
3rd Sep 2008, 20:42
Diginagain - I'm not quite sure how to take that remark. My comments were purely aimed at those petty folk deriding the chap in the photo for actually attempting to shape his beret rather than wear it straight from the pack as many RAF personnel seem to.
Was your comment meant to make me feel guilty for something I said or something else?

diginagain
4th Sep 2008, 04:39
Stacks, my reply was going to be a leg-pull about war stories and Rockapes, then I remembered a young man of my acqaintance who was on R&R when his room at Basra Airport got a mortar round. He lost three mates, as well as all of his personal possessions and photos and mail from my niece.

He deployed to somewhere sandy again last month.

Frankly, and despite ripping the pi55 out of the Rocks on other fora, I feel that he and his mates can have whatever shaped beret they wish.

Hope this clarifies.

Al R
4th Sep 2008, 06:46
I remember the SWO at Catterick standing at the door as we all unsuspectadly filed out after breakfast. Beret check.. DOFF HEADRESS!!

No lining..? Rrrrip!! "Double away to stores lad, they're wai£ing for you".

WO Sutherland at Akr too, used to lurk in the bushes to check our boot tread.

Top blokes, proper SWOs. :ok:

BEagle
4th Sep 2008, 06:57
Agreed, Al. Although sometimes their zeal can have unfortunate consequences...

At one station, the queue of cars trying to get in every day increased noticeably. At this station, the domestic area was across a public road from the main part of the station.

It seems that a new, somewhat zealous SWO had arrived and he was always (and quite rightly) pulling up tatty-looking airmen who walked from their blocks to their place of work. So they had all taken to driving into work as that meant a different queue immune from the eagle eye of the SWO.

Those of us who had no option but to drive in (my morning trip was 42 min - the squadron had moved to the new location in the last few months of my tour...), were getting fed up with the time it was taking to get through the gate every day. So OC Admin was informed - and a few days later the SWO found a new pouncing spot. No-one was immune from his keen eye from then on as they never knew where he was going to appear from.

The station became noticeably smarter very quickly indeed!

taxydual
4th Sep 2008, 07:14
SWO's.

Funningley 1976. 100 or so airmen walking to work down the main drag. 1 minus beret. SWO out of the guardroom like a flash.

"YOU, AIRMAN" he bellows down the road.

100 guys stop and turn.

"WHERE'S YOUR HEADGEAR?"

99 airmen breathe a sigh of relief.

"Sorry sir" came the bleated reply. "I've got a chit from the Medical Centre"

"WELL WEAR YOUR F*****G CHIT THEN!!"

99 airmen p1ss themselves laughing.

Proper SWO's, bless 'em.

taxydual
4th Sep 2008, 07:25
Nice to see Stamford welcoming the Rocks back with open arms.

Lay you a pound to a penny though, the Rocks were hoping for open legs...........

:ok:

Al R
4th Sep 2008, 07:40
I overheard a chat between a Regt SWO and a Guin FS. Feel free to allow 10% embellishment from the patina of time, 10% from my crap memory and 10% from wistful nostalgia.

SWO: "Look Flight, how can the my NCOs keep standards up if you're looking like you've just got out of bed?"

Guin: "Look.. sir (chip --> shoulder.. GO) I'm paid to take f#cked helicopters and make them all nice and shiny again."

SWO: "And I am paid to take f#cked SNCOs and make them all nice and shiny again. I'll stay behind after work tonight, make sure you're at my office for inspection by no later than 1900 would you? Thanks.".

Taxyduel: When there was a tunnel between the WRAF Block and 15's Block, you never needed the Stamford Steamers. Although they did provide an element of variety and more stimulating conversation. Apparantly. :cool:

johnnypaveway
4th Sep 2008, 08:30
Forgive my ignorance but is the guy in the picture a rock? Looks like an SAC Rank slide, has the Regt changed dress policy on SACs wearing the propellers??

That aside, good to see the 3 Sqn lads home.

Per Ardua

Al R
4th Sep 2008, 09:12
Hi Johnny,

Not sure how long you've been out, but as with many things in the RAF, where the Corps leads, well.. the rest follow (improved fitness levels, stable belts, subdued badges of rank, personality, charisma and appeal to the opposite gender*, organisation slides etc etc).

The 'RAF Regiment' slides dissapeared a few years back to be replaced by small mudguards of the type you may have worn? As to SAC rank slides being worn these days, I'm not sure either - I've certainly not seen any on a gunner in Stamford or Oakham. It always seemed a bit daft, SACs wearing rank slides - if you weren't an NCO, then why bother? Only NCOs need to have a badge of authority, shirley?

Perhaps someone could clarify?

Per Ardua

(* work in progress)

Monty77
4th Sep 2008, 13:04
The posting to Afghanistan of a certain female Group Captain?
I'm intrigued.

Dish the dirt, then.

This is, after all, a rumour network. And that has RUMOUR written all over it, galloping over the horizon towards us on a big black horse, blowing a bugle with a purple leprechaun riding pillion shouting through a megaphone,'Guess what?!'.

Mr C Hinecap
4th Sep 2008, 14:46
Monty

Non story - just normal business - sorry:

RAF's first female Force Commander ready for Afghanistan - Rutland & Stamford Mercury (http://www.stamfordmercury.co.uk/features/RAF39s-first-female-Force-Commander.4230727.jp)

The Helpful Stacker
4th Sep 2008, 14:48
The chap in the photo isn't a rock.

I believe he is 85 (EL) Wing.

forget
4th Sep 2008, 14:59
But do we know for certain that the photograph relates to the 'Peterborough Incident'. This could be a completely different matter. Lots of Poles in Peterborough. :hmm:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/beret.jpg

Mr C Hinecap
4th Sep 2008, 17:13
Photo taken in a small village near a flying base in Cambs. Subject is not from 85(EL) Wg. Engineering type, not loggy.

Roland Pulfrew
4th Sep 2008, 17:27
Its been a long time since I cared about anything like this, and I too mourn the loss of good SWOs, but isn't the beret supposed to be worn with the badge over the left eye and the "flappy bit" on the right side of the head? This chap appears to have his on, at least 45 degrees out!!! :E Any good SWO would have sorted this "fashion" :rolleyes: out by now!!

Airborne Aircrew
4th Sep 2008, 18:45
Roland,

While it wasn't/shouldn't be done in public as this lad was doing the photo below shows that almost 30 years ago Regiment lads wore their berets as "flat hats" quite frequently... :}

http://www.apm-home.net/archive/files/berets.jpg

As often as not it was to use the peak as a "sunshade"... Obviously, on this occasion it was for more "frivilous" reasons... :suspect:

Al R
5th Sep 2008, 05:42
AA,

Reference the eleven balloon shot.. I'm assuming thats you on the right.

On the left - Steve? Married an Irish lass and mates with Danny?

Roland,

A lot depends on how its done doesn't it? Some hapless erk who needs kit inspections for a month of sundays shouldn't be allowed to be seen in public AT ALL, let alone with a ferret like that. However, a squared away airman with an ally beret that has been boil washed, shrunk lovingly and shaved to within an inch of its life..? Well, there should be a QR to allow them, surely??!!

Roland Pulfrew
5th Sep 2008, 09:37
However, a squared away airman with an ally beret that has been boil washed, shrunk lovingly and shaved to within an inch of its life..? Well, there should be a QR to allow them, surely??!!

Al R

You may wish to think so, IMHO, I just think they make the wearer look like a c:mad:K. This is just a naff "fashion" but it is now getting to a stupid extreme. Still, there are a lot more important things in life to worry about, so why should I care?

And I apologise to the Rocks for the topic creep!! :O

Airborne Aircrew
5th Sep 2008, 11:34
Al:

Cx PM's

There should, absolutely, be QR's referring to the proper care and feeding of a beret.

Roland:

One could guess by your response that you were an officer type and was one of those that were guilty of confusing landing helicopter pilots with your "Alternate HLS". :E

Roland Pulfrew
5th Sep 2008, 11:48
AA

Not me. My beret is/was carefully and lovingly crafted, no alternate HLSs for me. I just know how to wear it correctly; I did not want to be confused with Andy Capp. Being short and rotund I didn't need the "flat cap" as well! ;)

Of course, as my old Flight Commander used to say "a beret is not proper dress for Hofficers, only those of the Rock persuasion would ever wear one."

Airborne Aircrew
5th Sep 2008, 11:59
Roland:

As I said when I first chimed in, under normal circumstances, (ie: publicly or where the WOman might be), the beret was always worn properly.

When it actually came down to it the beret was the one piece of one's uniform where one was, (within certain guidelines such as badge over the left eye), where some semblance of individuality was permitted. Those with pride in their appearance and a hint of self awareness, (seemingly yourself included), often took this to heart... :D The "flat hat" was usually more of a "pi$$ take" or, on rare occasions, was genuinely used to keep the sun from one's eyes...

timex
5th Sep 2008, 12:33
Why "shave" a beret?

Al R
5th Sep 2008, 18:08
Don't tell me you never shaved your hairy mary either?? :eek:

Monty77
5th Sep 2008, 19:06
My wife is not called Mary, and I have never set about her with electric clippers.

I am English, not Australian.

Monty77
5th Sep 2008, 19:09
So there. You bastards. Apparently I have to wait 120 seconds between posts and ensure they are 120 characters.

Fnaar
Fnaar
Fnaar.

Happy?
Fascists.

taxydual
5th Sep 2008, 19:44
OK, I'm bored. I've got to ask, how do you shave a beret? and why?

Airborne Aircrew
5th Sep 2008, 20:03
'cos they are fluffy and 'orrible... Rough, tough Rocks do not wear fluffy slippers nor do they wear fluffy hats... Simple really... :E

That nasty, nasty lining comes out too whenever you can get away with it... :}

taxydual
5th Sep 2008, 20:15
OK, I'll accept the why. What about the how?

God, I AM bored!!

timex
5th Sep 2008, 20:17
Funny how Paras and Booties don't need to shave or rip linings out of berets......good wash in hot water and its sorted.

Airborne Aircrew
5th Sep 2008, 20:18
How bored are you?

Al R
5th Sep 2008, 20:23
Timex,

They don't???

Ally Melvyn (The Paras; BBC 1982) did. In Norway when 2 (3?) Para had the AMF(L) commitment in 1997/8, he woke up one morning to find his maroon number had been cut in half overnight and beautifully stitched back together with a crab one, making a 50/50 beret. To say he was thrilled wouldn't be an accurate representation of the emotions that must have been running through his giddy mind as he prepared for a Btn parade.

taxydual
5th Sep 2008, 20:28
Sorry AA, I didn't mean to imply that I was bored with the thread (reading PPrune who could be), I'm just bored because I'm babysitting my grandchilden, (8 and 4), they've gone to bed, so Grandpa's fun has stopped.

Al R
5th Sep 2008, 20:52
Taxydual,

How to shave a beret? Well, that all depends. Wet or electric?

taxydual
5th Sep 2008, 20:58
AI R

Thanks, it's great that I can rely on PPrune to keep me entertained.

:ok:

Al R
5th Sep 2008, 21:04
Well, thought that grandpops needed something to compensate for his loss of fun.

taxydual
5th Sep 2008, 21:10
It's funny, how you devote so much time to grandchildren that you never gave to your own children.

Whoops, the red wine is kicking in and my daughter is getting grumpy.

Sorry, Mods and all, about the major thread creep.