PDA

View Full Version : Internet newboy, help cant help

Pinger
8th Oct 1999, 02:53
Nothin to do with aviation but can someone tell a sad technownothin how to get these clever rotatin smiley faces I see on this forum.

May the force of gravity be with you

Nightrider
8th Oct 1999, 03:03
to be a "a sad technownothin" may not stop you from having a look just above your posting and with the capability of your eyes you may find the faq link.

All good programs (such as this one) have such a section and contain the stuff you are looking for..... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif

Pinger
8th Oct 1999, 03:19
nightrider, your message is a perfect example of the smug techno-arrogance that spoils this medium. FAQ U 2
thanks for your help. do you work for microsoft?

what the hell is faq?

Nightrider
8th Oct 1999, 04:29
Well Mr. Pinger,
you have found plenty of buttons in this Forum already. If you would read the little words above your first posting and click on the word faq you will see a new window opening. There you will find all the explanations you are looking for.
This is what I said before.
And if you do not understand the meaning of faq, than don't use it, it means
Frequently Asked Questions.

To answer your next question: Yes, sometimes...

To answer the question of you next posting, a link is redirection of your browser initiated by clicking on a word or button to help users during navigation on a website.

Newbies, as you claim to be one of them, should not misuse phrases they do not understand.

The way you replied is for sure an excellent example how a person with your occupation should reply.

Welcome to the world :)

buzzard
8th Oct 1999, 04:52
Hey Nightrider or whatever your name may be; Who died and made you king of the universe? A little quick to judge are we? You must be a riot to fly with. I agree with Pinger; you are arrogant. Faq U 2!

Drop and Stop
8th Oct 1999, 05:07
I've always enjoyed a good knuckle!

CrashDive
8th Oct 1999, 10:42
Uhmmm, I dunno (shakes head in disbelief), Lord Danny has deemed gracious enough to give us another useful forum, which is barely open one day, and I'm forced already to start rattling my padlock keys (listen.... "RaTlLe, RaTlLe").

Chill out folks, pleeze.

blackadder
8th Oct 1999, 11:55
Pinger,
click on the faq link in the top rt hand corner of this page and scroll down a little to "Smilies". by putting : and D you get :)
ok?

blackadder
8th Oct 1999, 12:03
Nightrider, remember, we were all "Newbies" once.
Give some slack (and help) without being condescending!

Captain R. Sole
8th Oct 1999, 14:44
Condescending? I thought that was a greek sky diver!
Sorry blackie, I could not resist that one even though I totally agree with what you say. :)

Pinger....

If there is anything else you are unsure of and can't find it in the FAQ section and you don't wish to ask here then email either Danny or your Forum Moderator as I found them to be most helpful early in my Pprune career.
Most of us are here to help anyway, just sorry you struck out with your first one. Don't be put off by it.
Welcome and good luck.

[This message has been edited by Captain R. Sole (edited 08 October 1999).]

Capt PPRuNe
8th Oct 1999, 16:39
I must admit to sometimes taking out my frustrations on some of the more 'innocent' of you out there when I download my 100th email of the day which asks something that is obvious to those of us who have been using this site for more than a few months.

As can be seen here though, it only takes a slight misunderstanding or misinterpretation of 'tone' to start a flame war. Please just try and have a bit of patience. I do reply to every query, even if some of them must seem fairly short and sharp with just a reference to the FAQ's.

Please send queries to the forum moderator before you send them to me, or better still click on the FAQ's (http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/faq.html) link once you figure out that FAQ is Frequently Asked Questions. One you have tried that and still are not sure then feel free to contact us. (unless you are so new that you don't know what a faq is.)

Of course the forum moderator of this forum is about to start his Boeing 737 conversion course so I guess I'll be busy again for the next month or so. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

------------------
Capt PPRuNe
The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

CrashDive
8th Oct 1999, 17:43
It shouldn't be too bad boss, e.g. I'm not due in grind skool till 25/10, then three weeks of that, followed by a one month wait full of s/n flights and a day SEP untill the sim starts on 11/12, then that for about two weeks, then errrhhh, that's all I know about so far - roster only Goes up to Xmas.

Anyway, if things get tough in the land of PPRuNe, we can always nominate Hamrah to be my stand-in, especially as he seems to have so little to do ! :)