PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Pilot.

L0wFly3r
2nd Sep 2008, 17:43
Hi There,

My name is Richard, and i am hoping to become an airline pilot and i will do anything to become one. I got my GCSE's and querying two at the moment. I sadly didn't get into my School 6th form which is a bummer :uhoh:, but I'm now finding another way instead of doing A Levels and i have found and have done alot of Research since yesterday when i wasn't allowed to come back. My GCSE's aren't bad they are Average. Anyway i have found this Course at Kingston Collage and its National Diploma in Aerospace Engineering. I was wondering if that is acceptable to do as it has 3 A levels in that one course/subject, also i was going to carry it on at Brunel University as a Degree and it also has Pilot study with the Aviation Engineering on the Course.

I know it may sound odd or off course, but i would really like some help.I'm hoping to go to Oxford Aviation Academy after i have completed these two course which i hope to do. But if there is any pilot or anyone for an airline company who could help me out. I shall be very happy and very grateful too.

Regards & Best Wishes,

Richard C.

preduk
2nd Sep 2008, 17:47
I wouldn't do a degree in Pilot Studies if I were you. A degree is supposed to be a back up, if you have your Diploma in Aviation, your degree in aviation and very little A-Levels and average GSCE results then what are you going to do in the event that airlines start going bankrupt or you fail a medical?

You can't put all of your eggs in the one basket, try going into another subject you have an interest in.

If your grades are poor, you will need to start working hard to get those grades up to scratch because the pass rates for flight training are fairly high. :ok:

JB007
2nd Sep 2008, 18:42
It's all about pounds, shillings and pence really!!!

I'd put yourself in a position to have maybe 2 A'Levels - if you really want to go flying, then i'd start earning - why not start working around airports?

It's gonna be tough for the next few years so maybe get your PPL, have some fun but earn some money too, don't give anything to Oxford until you see and advert in the back pages of Flight International Magazine from British Airways! About 2011/12...you've got all the time in the world...

L0wFly3r
2nd Sep 2008, 18:46
Thanks for the Information JB007 & Preduk. But what do you suggest i would do, just do the Diploma and not the Degree or do something completely different?

G CEXO
2nd Sep 2008, 19:54
Richard, I went to Kingston College and Studied the National Diploma in Aerospace Engineering course. I must say it was absolutely brilliant. :ok: My 2004 course was the first Kingston College had started.

It is a really good course and will give you sound knowledge in alot of the technical subjects which you would need to study for the ATPL's. Very good facilities, jet engines, wind tunnel and a Lear Jet aircraft courtusy of Kingston Uni.

If you need any information, drop me a message. I would advise anyone going down the pilot training route to take this course instead of A levels. You will be more than prepared for the ATPL technical subjects.

Go for it, it'll be your best decision. It was for me, and I now have my funding sorted for the modular route which I start in October.

G-XO

L0wFly3r
2nd Sep 2008, 22:20
Cheers for that G CEXO, that information is very helpful, and I'm really grateful for that :ok::ok: and i shall drop you a few Pm's soon :)

Regards & Best Wishes,

Richard C.

Smiler737
3rd Sep 2008, 23:36
Richard, i spent 8 months doing an intensive course at a college in the north in airline and airport operations, i came out with the equivalent of 2 A-Levels, i then spent the next 2 years working for a few handling agents building up contacts, then finaly breaking into the ops dept of an airline... Im now at CTC doing the full integrated course.

L0wFly3r
4th Sep 2008, 07:52
Thanks for that information too Smiler737 :ok: