PDA

View Full Version : Which Program to use to open a file ?

Sid and Coke
10th May 2001, 01:40
Hopefully this will be a real easy one to answer for all the Experts out there.
How do you know which Program to use to open a downloaded file. I'll give you an example, I recently downloaded a file and put it one of my folders, when I double clicked on the file Icon (which was a sort of windows 'flag')a window popped up asking me which program I would like to use to open it, there then followed a long list of options which seemed to contain every program on my machine. I clicked on the first of the long list and the file opened, but it was complete rubbish like this: @>;{@~# $ @... you get the picture ? So my question is how do you know which program to use and if you choose the wrong one how do you reverse your choice. Thanks for any help.

------------------
With Ice Please

Specaircrew
10th May 2001, 01:54
It depends what type of file it is, what's the file ext? (ie zip exe jpg etc)

Sid and Coke
10th May 2001, 02:47
This particular one is a PS file with a .ps extension, however I have come accross this before. I once opened up a file with,I think it was note-pad, and every file I had with one of the 'windows flag' Icons as I call them turned into gibberish when I opened them,and all of the windows flags turned into note-pad icons, luckily (after a large panic!)I had my second chance software so I just went back in time, but ever since then I have been vary wary about this subject so I thought I would ask as I can't seem to find anything written down in any of the Idiots and Dummies guides etc that I have. Do you know if there is a register or list anywhere of file/extension types or are there just too many to list ? Anyway thanks, and, I've spoken to enough people about this subject that i know this Thread will be of help to me and others in the future.

------------------
With Ice Please

Squiddley
10th May 2001, 08:49
Hi Sid

Can you be more specific about the file you downloaded? I mean, what is it: a program, a picture, some kind of document etc.

When you get the "open with" box coming up, and are unsure of the program to use, make sure the little box for "make this the default program to open files of this type" (or whatever it says) is unchecked. that way windows will not use the same program if it's the wrong one.

Not knowing what the file's for, or where it came from, there's not much springs to mind for a *.ps file. The only thing I can think of if a photoshop macro or add-on, but that's a shot in the dark.

Sq

stickyb
10th May 2001, 10:21
I think that .ps is usually used for postscript files

Windows only asks you this question if you haven't got a suitable program already registered with it.

SLF 999
10th May 2001, 13:53
For what its worth go to www.whatis.com (http://www.whatis.com) and it will tell you what file extensions mean and what prog can be used to open them.
A tip uncheck the box to always use this program to open this file type as if you get it wrong then garbage ensues !!!

spannersatcx
10th May 2001, 14:43
Sometimes the download instructions will tell you what to do. Sometimes it will tell you that you have to rename the file from xyx.ps to xyz.mp3, because the file is actually an mp3 file, but to prevent things starting when you click on it to download, the file is named as something that will prevent things like your mp3 player starting up. If you know what the file should of been i.e. .exe, .bat, .zip then try renaming it and then double click it.

Sid and Coke
10th May 2001, 20:36
Thank you folks, most helpful. I haven't managed to open the file yet(this one is not really that important anyway) however the thing about un-checking the box was most usefull and has saved a load of hassle. I'll try the suggested website. thanks again.
I've bookmarked the www.whatis.com (http://www.whatis.com) site really useful stuff in there.
------------------
With Ice Please

[This message has been edited by Sid and Coke (edited 10 May 2001).]

askcv
12th May 2001, 01:51
Internet Explorer opens most file types (you don't have to be online), just select FILE/OPEN and navigate to the file you want to open.
Nescape is almost as good.
If it is a text file use Wordpad and choose "All file types" (or whatever it says).

johntrav69
16th May 2001, 02:09
I think a .ps file is a powerpoint presentation, so you will need that installed.

OLD_EGG_BOUND
16th May 2001, 12:37
POWERPOINTS EXTENSION IS .PPT

TwoDogs
16th May 2001, 19:11
Powerpoint files can be .pps

stickyb
17th May 2001, 09:18
Powerpoint's normal extension for slides, etc is .ppt
.pps is for power point slide shows

but this one was (if i remember correctly) quoted as being .ps, which is usually postscript, a very useful way of making printer independant print files

Boss Raptor
18th May 2001, 13:26
For several years I have been happily using an all in one file editing/opening platform which is similar in concept to Windows Explorer but far superior...it zips/unzips, plays media files and opens the file type with the appropriate third party program if it does not have the capability itself...and is easy to use for non techies like me!

It is called Scandere Omega Drive 2000 Gold and is available at [URL=http://www.scandere.com]www.scandere.com - think I paid around $30 for it on CD Rom...check it out as I think it has a Free Trial Download.

[This message has been edited by Boss Raptor (edited 18 May 2001).]