PDA

View Full Version : Internet Logon Passwords

Triple INAS
8th Oct 1999, 00:05
I access the internet via a variety of ISPs. Most prompt for a logon password each time I try to access the net, without giving me the option to save the password (the save password box is shaded). Anybody know how I can get the 'Save Password' option to work???? There must be a better way than this!

OzmateBugsmasher
8th Oct 1999, 04:04
Make sure that "Client for Microsoft Networks" is loaded in your network setup.

Err. here goes.

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network
(have a look, if not there)

Add > Client > select microsoft as the vendor and Client for Microsoft Networking as the client.

You'll need to have your windows Cd handy or the .CAB files somewhere, you'll also need to reboot at the end of the install.

The greyed out box should be functional now.

Hope that helps.

squeakmail
8th Oct 1999, 07:10
Ozmate....

My "Save Password" is not grayed out...will accept the tick/check mark.....but will not save it.

Bloody frustrating. Any ideas?

Mode Charlie
8th Oct 1999, 20:54
Try this :-

1) Go to the c:\windows directory and delete all the *.pwl files.

2) Reboot.

3) It will prompt you for a password to be used for windows networking. I have mine set to null.

------------------

Triple INAS
9th Oct 1999, 00:24
Ozmate,

Thanks for a prompt reply. Have followed the instructions and will reboot after I logoff. If you never hear from me again, then all I can say is "You B*****d"!! Otherwise I will pass on my thanks when it all works.................!!

squeakmail
9th Oct 1999, 07:10
Then can I wait unil INAS gets back on line and confirms he didn't wipe the hard drive?

Us computer mutants are scared of pressing the important buttons...I still close my eyes whenever I click on something I haven't seen before.

------------------
Hmmm, should be fast enough - rotate.

wings level
9th Oct 1999, 18:44
If you are using win 95 and your password is not saved then Microsoft did a fix called mspwupd (or something very similar) that fixes the problem. If you can't find it, e-mail me and I will e-mail it to you.

Triple INAS
10th Oct 1999, 00:38
Well......I'm still here, but the password problem has not gone away! Would appreciate that fix Wings level......thanks

OzmateBugsmasher
10th Oct 1999, 07:14
Bugger, and here's me thinking I had some idea... :)

As Wingz has mentioned the next step is to updade your dial up networking (DUN) and password handling..

Hope that works for you.

InFinRetirement
10th Oct 1999, 13:13
Can you say what browser you are using. MS Explorer or Netscape?

Is your e-mail working OK?

[This message has been edited by InFinRetirement (edited 10 October 1999).]

wings level
11th Oct 1999, 00:24
The other way to solve this problem (especially with Win 98, and maybe with Win 95) is to set up a specific user, (rather than the default start up user).
This is a bit of a pain, as you need to log off as the default user and then log on as a specific person. I have not been able to find out why Win 98 does this (other than being Windows), other than being a network security feature. If anybody has a solution then I am interested in it.

How to do it:
Start button, settings, Control Panel, Users, new user. This will create a new user profile and it’s own password files.

wings level
11th Oct 1999, 00:44
Microsoft gives the foloowing reason for the problem:

This Microsoft® Windows® 95 Password List Update fixes a bug which existed in the Windows 95 Service Pack 1 Password List Update. (The bug does not exist in the shipping version of Windows 95.) This bug occurs when an application, such as Dial-Up Networking, attempts to remove a cached password, or when a user saves a password to a password protected resource, such as a network drive. If an application attempts to remove a cached password, a section of the cache file (.PWL file) can become corrupted, causing any passwords cached in that section of the file to be lost, and making it impossible to cache further passwords in that section of the file.

The Update also includes enhanced protection for cached passwords. When you connect to a password-protected resource, such as a network drive, you can choose to save that password. Windows then stores the password in an encrypted file on your hard drive. However, an algorithm was posted on the Internet that enabled unauthorized users to decrypt this file and gain access to your password-protected resources. The Password List Update provides a vastly improved encryption algorithm that is significantly harder to decrypt than the previous encryption algorithm.

Similarly, if a user saves a password to a password-protected resource, a section of your password cache file (.PWL file) may become corrupted, which would cause any passwords cached in that section of the file to be lost, and make it impossible to cache further passwords in that section of the file. This update resolves this problem. Anyone who has installed or will install Windows 95 Service Pack 1 and uses an application which attempts to remove passwords from the password cache should install this Update after installing the Service Pack.

NOTE: This download is not intended for use on computers running Microsoft Windows 95 A, B, or C or Microsoft Windows 98. To determine if you are running Windows 95 A or later, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, then double-click System. If the version number reported is 4.00.950 A or later, do not install this update. Your system already contains the appropriate fix.

System Requirements
Microsoft Windows 95

How to Download

Create a folder by right-clicking on the desktop, click New, and then click Folder. Type a name for the folder and press enter.
Click the Download Now button at the top or bottom of this page. In the File download dialog box that appears on your screen, click Save Program to Disk.
Choose to save the file in the folder you just created, then click Save.
Open that folder and double-click mspwlupd.exe to install the program files. Be sure to read the "Read-Me" files for additional information.

How to Use
You don't need to do anything after dowloading.

Related Information
Windows 95 Service Pack 1
The Microsoft Windows 95 Service Pack 1 includes an update, system administration tools, additional components, and drivers for Windows 95. More detailed information about each of the fixes is included in the Service Pack Fixes document.

The password update file that I refered to earlier is at http://support.microsoft.com/support/ServiceWare/Windows/Win95/E9P37LEQ1.ASP

Triple INAS
14th Oct 1999, 22:09
Wings Level,

Many thanks for all the trouble you have gone to. I am currently running W95 and IE5. If my system already contains the appropriate fix, why am I still having problems?

All systems Go!
16th Oct 1999, 05:27
If your using win98 and MS explorer, go to the control panel then select network and then scroll thru the log on options, and lookk for 'microsft FAMILY logon or something similiar. This will activate password save but you will have to log on each time yopu boot your computer unless your auto log on via TWEAK UI INF You can get the very excellent tweakuiinf file from your win98 CD via doing a file search for 'tweakui.inf'and then right click on 'install' and then reboot, go to you control panel then select Tweak ui and then you can takeover your desktop control to customise your setup and log on.
Have fun

OzmateBugsmasher
19th Oct 1999, 18:35
Having a third attempt to help...

If you're NOT running the OSR/2 version of W95 then you could try the Dial Up Networking update which fixed a few problems.

(quick way to tell if you're running osr2 is that 'Internet Explorer' comes up on the splash screen when you start windows.)

Should be able to download here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=12646&LangID=20&LangDIR=en-us&OpSysID=1311&Search=Keywords&Value=DUN&Show=Alpha&Start=&Page=0)

Knowlege Base article here (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q191/4/94.asp)

Hope this helps..

Triple INAS
23rd Oct 1999, 00:08
OK Oz.....

Downloaded it, installed it......Now the 'save pasword' box is unshaded and I can check it. It never remembers the pasword for next time though! Thanks for trying but there has to be another answer out there somewhere!!

InFinRetirement
23rd Oct 1999, 11:43
triple INAS.

Here is the answer to your problem - I think.

Go to www4.winfiles.com/bugs/winbugs.html

The problem of the password greying out is known and the above page has the fixes. Better use them before you try one that's not good for you.

Cheers

Triple INAS
24th Oct 1999, 23:14
Infin...,

Thanks - have now tried all the suggestions from that site but none of them work for me. Think it might be about time to give up and keep entering those passwords manually! Thanks for all your efforts, folks!

Nightrider
25th Oct 1999, 00:18
After you got your checkbox available now, go and delete the *.pwl (password) files on your pc. search for them, it should be only one but.....
That brings you back to a clean system, at least password wise...

Brit Abroad
26th Oct 1999, 18:48
Triple,

Not sure whether you still have the problem you describe.

If so, I might be able to help as I had exactly the same problem a while ago !

Do you have a network card and network elements installed on your PC, by any chance ?

If so, when you boot-up, windows asks you to log on to the windows network (even if your PC is standalone and not currently connected to a LAN)

If you click on "cancel" (which is the logical thing to do 'cos there isn't a network to log on to !), then the password cache-ing will NOT be enabled !!

So, conclusion, you MUST enter your network password followed by OK at bootup. You will then be able to save your internet password and re-use it !

Hope this helps.

Brit

Triple INAS
26th Oct 1999, 23:42
Have deleted all the .pwl files and do not have a network installed (having said that, I did try installing the 'Client for Microsoft Networks' as suggested earlier) None of the above seems to have helped!!