PDA

View Full Version : Turnpike

vanman
7th Oct 1999, 22:41
I used to connect to the internet using Demon's proprietary product "Turnpike". It didn't look very clever, but functionally was excellent.

I have recently changed to use MS Outlook for mail and dial-up networking for access. I have two specific frustrations which maybe someone can help with?

Firstly, I now have to wait about a minute for the "Verifying Password" dialogue to disappear. As nothing changed at the demon end, I assume it is just MS's stuff being slowww responding. Does anyone know how to get a faster connection?
Secondly, Turnpike used to cater really well for mutiple users at the same domain. IE If I connected to browse PPrune, all our mail came in automatically. Neither could my wife read _my_ mail re flower arranging nor could I read _hers_, no doubt from a series of lovers and other undesirables. Now, with MS Internet mail, it all dumps into the inbox of the first of us to connect. You can imagine my enthusiasm for flower arrangment is waning as a result of some of the misdirected mail I've recently received. Seriously though, what is the best solution for maintaining privacy and seperation for all?

Thanks in anticipation to some clever so and so.

Van :) :) :)

Capt Claret
8th Oct 1999, 04:04
Van,

I know nothing of Turnpike, however I too use Outlook (5).

There is an option somewhere in the properties dialog of the dial up setting that you can click or unclick to enable or disable logon to network.

------------------
bottums up

OzmateBugsmasher
8th Oct 1999, 04:11
Are you and your wife both sharing the same eMail address?

If you have seperate addresses you can set up outlook Express to handle 2 or more 'identities' which will keep your flower arrangements seperate from your wife's arrangements :)

If you are sharing the same address then you will have to implement a filter system in Outlook to seperate the mail into appropriate folders..

blackadder
8th Oct 1999, 11:40
Get Eudora version 3+ and set up sep accounts.
Pro version is only about 20 quid maximum.
I know version 4 is available but the interface is crappy.

PadLock
10th Oct 1999, 04:18
vanman, as the Ozman has mentioned, if you have seperate e-mail addies, go to Outlook's menu, and then in the 'tools' section there should be a 'inbox-assistent'. This will help you making a filter for your incoming mail.
I myself use EudoraPro, and I think the interface on 4.2 is quite acceptable :)
(you can even get it for far less than 20 quid, if you know where to look ;) )

InFinRetirement
10th Oct 1999, 14:21
vanman, I would suggest that you get the lastest IE5 which includes Outlook Express 5 and it is fast. October's COMPUTER BUYER gives a free CD on which you will find it.
In regard to verifying user and password being slow, this is usually a usage (how many people) problem, sometimes quick sometimes slow. One factor important to this is your modem. Nowadays, you should use a modem with a 56Kflex V90 capability - because your ISP does.

Try it. Good luck!

You can e-mail me if you have any problems.

Nightrider
10th Oct 1999, 18:23
I am using Outlook98 and Outlook Express for the news.

I handle three different accounts with OE98 and as mentioned before, in OE98 click on Organize and create Folders for your different gusto.

Your connection problem, on the desktop go to My Computer and open the DialUp Folder.
Click on the tab Server Types and (if you do not have any other network) see that only the
Enable Software Compression and the TCP/IP is checked. The rest you don't need.