PDA

View Full Version : Bookmark file transfer

Slasher
7th Oct 1999, 07:20
Transfered from my R&N post:

Does anyone know if a whole existing bookmark file can be copied from a Netscape laptop and transferred to a new laptop with the same (bookmark empty) browser? Would save having to manualy insert all the bookmark data from scratch. Ta.

Reply from:
A Squared
Wrinkly oldPPRuNer
posted 06 October 1999 23:47

Yes you can. The bookmarks should be stored in a file called Bookmark.HTM. It will be located in some directory under \Program Files\Netscape\ (where exactly depends on the version of netscape and some other factors) Do a find file search if you don't see it. Copy the bookmark file to the new computer. Open the browser and drop down the bookmark menu. Click edit Bookmarks. Drop down the file menu in the bookmark window. Select import. Browse to the location of the copied bookmark file and import it. Note: this will wipe out any bookmarks already in the browser. It is possible to merge 2 bookmark files, But I always screw it up when I try.

Regards,

A Squared

[This message has been edited by A Squared (edited 06 October 1999).]

Reply from:
Slasher

Thanks A squared. Ill try that when the new puter gets here (if it ever does!)

TwoDogs
7th Oct 1999, 08:02
X-post

Better still Slash, if you can find the Netscape "Users" directory - it is usually installed in c:\program files\netscape\ - there should be a sub directory there with your profile name (whatever u called your profile when you installed netscape).
After installing Netscape on your laptop replace your "users" directory with the old one and you will not only have all your bookmarks but email addresses. sent mail et al.

mustafagander
7th Oct 1999, 08:35
Another good thought
Since I'm prone to cocking it up with computers, I always copy my bookmark file to a separate directory just in case. :)

CaptSensible
8th Oct 1999, 21:22
Next question...how do you transfer IE5 bookmarks into Netscape?

Nightrider
10th Oct 1999, 18:13
In IE5 click on
FILE
Import EXPORT
Follow the wizard to Export into Netscape...

CaptSensible
15th Oct 1999, 03:38
Thanks Nightrider!!