PDA

View Full Version : Colour GPS on a PDA

Gentleman Aviator
10th Mar 2001, 22:07
I am looking to purchase a colour moving map GPS. The Garmin 295 Colour at £1000 seems fairly good.

However, I am wondering if it is possible to achieve the same task in Europe using a Colour PDA, a GPS receiver and some Mapping Data.

www.anywheremap.com/cv/ (http://www.anywheremap.com/cv/) seem to have a working system for the USA but I am unsure as to whether it functions in Europe.

Any other ideas or reports would be greatly appreciated.

GA

Bailed Out
14th Mar 2001, 22:37
GA, I’m south of London and have a copy of Anywhere running on a HP Jornado 545 so can verify it's operation in this part of "Europe" if you have any specific questions please ask.

Gentleman Aviator
17th Mar 2001, 01:35
Lots of questions I'm afraid Bailed Out!

1. How useful a tool have you found the GPS?

2. In comparison with other GPS products that you have seen, how does it compare?

3. How comprehensive is the aviation database?

4. Does it include all the UK (and European) Navaids, Airspace, Airways etc?

5. Does it include Military information? (MATZ, Danger Areas etc)

6. Does it have ground mapping for local topography? (lakes, roads, towns, relief etc)

7. What GPS are you using with your PDA?

8. How have you linked them together.

9. Does it include 'Nearest Suitable Airfield' Options? Does it have all the appropriate contact data for those fields? (Comms, Opening Hours, Runway Lengths, Crash Cat)

10. If you had the opportunity to make your purchase decision again, would you buy ther same kit?

11. Can the Software be modified to give a moving map UK Road Atlas?

Sorry to ask so many questions!

Bailed Out
17th Mar 2001, 04:13
Lots of questions I'm afraid Bailed Out!
1. How useful a tool have you found the GPS?

More convenient than a map but I’ll always have both, It’s quick and accrete

2. In comparison with other GPS products that you have seen, how does it compare?

As good as any fit I’ve seen, mainly Bizjet stuff.

3. How comprehensive is the aviation database?

Not that good but each update keeps getting better.

4. Does it include all the UK (and European) Navaids, Airspace, Airways etc?

Not everything but the stuff that really counts, plus you can update it yourself for any not included.

5. Does it include Military information? (MATZ, Danger Areas etc)

Not in Europe yet but it’s promised in future releases.

6. Does it have ground mapping for local topography? (lakes, roads, towns, relief etc)

As above.

7. What GPS are you using with your PDA?

Gamin 35, Just like a mouse!!

8. How have you linked them together.

Via a Compact flash type I card.

9. Does it include 'Nearest Suitable Airfield' Options? Does it have all the appropriate contact data for those fields? (Commas, Opening Hours, Runway Lengths, Crash Cat)

Mostly yes and it’s instant.

10. If you had the opportunity to make your purchase decision again, would you buy three same kit?

No, I’d by the IPAQ for the screen but I think you have to use a piggy-back adapter for the CF card. Best bet is to go with a package deal offered by Anywhere. Gives you all that colour moving map does plus the flexibility to adjust at will and in the end it’s still a PDA and all that gives.

11. Can the Software be modified to give a moving map UK Road Atlas?

No but there’s other software you can add, plus I have calendar, email, work, Internet etc.

Sorry to ask so many questions!

No problem, If you’d like to have a look for yourself then let me know and I’ll email you with a phone number, you could then borrow it for a few days.

Regards………Bailed.

Gentleman Aviator
17th Mar 2001, 13:13
Oustanding Bailed!

Many thanks for your help; I think that I ought to send the nice chaps at Anywhere Map $1500!

:)

Superpilut
18th Mar 2001, 04:35
Hi GA,
Thanks for the link. I also read in a German Magazine (Aero news)about a company offering a GPS receiver + software to be used with the Ipaq. I don't know if it's the same deal as Anywhere, but I'll try to get you the name of the company tomorrow.