PDA

View Full Version : US Media coverage of Gustav moves "births" announcement to back of papers

Two's in
1st Sep 2008, 22:12
Wow, that was really unlucky. The new VP candidate from Alaska will miss all the Socialite coverage of her forthcoming happy event. Living proof that teaching abstinence is a winning solution for teenage sex.

McCain Running Mate's Daughter, 17, Is Pregnant

washingtonpost.com (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/01/AR2008090100710.html?hpid=topnews)

ST. PAUL, Sept. 1 -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin announced Monday that her 17-year-old daughter, Bristol, is five months pregnant and plans to have the baby and marry the father.

"Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned," Palin, the presumptive Republican vice-presidential nominee, said in a statement issued by Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign. "We're proud of Bristol's decision to have her baby and even prouder to become grandparents. As Bristol faces the responsibilities of adulthood, she knows she has our unconditional love and support."

vapilot2004
1st Sep 2008, 23:34
Hopefully they (the media) will leave the family to work this out on their own.

Rainboe
1st Sep 2008, 23:45
What point is being made about it? Is it being used as a political weapon to hurt her candidature? Bit of a cheap shot? It can happen to any family. It is really a private thing, isn't it? If she preached against teenage sexual activity, maybe it is living proof of her position. Why not leave them alone in private to sort it out? They seem to be staying together as a family to deal with it, not that is is really any of our business!

CityofFlight
1st Sep 2008, 23:52
Respectable.

"Let me be as clear as possible," Obama said. "I think people's families are off-limits, and people's children are especially off-limits. This shouldn't be part of our politics. It has no relevance to Gov. Palin's performance as governor or her potential performance as a vice president."

Glad to read Obama's setting the standard and attempting to keep this about politics.

con-pilot
1st Sep 2008, 23:56
I have to give a 'well done' to Obama. He released a statement saying it is a family affair and no one connected to his campaign is use this in any fashion again the Palin family. He went on to say that children are off limits, his children, Biden's children, McCain's children and Palin's children.

I agree 100%, so why don't we here in Jet Blast follow the same guidelines before it gets started.

Deal?

Thank you.

con-pilot
1st Sep 2008, 23:59
Hey, CoF, I just noticed your post.

You have the same number of posts as your age. A sign of great importance? :p

G-CPTN
2nd Sep 2008, 02:59
Obama's point seemed to be that he was the result of a teenage college affair (when his mother was aged eighteen) . . .
Didn't seem to do him any harm.
Barack Hussein Obama II was born on August 4, 1961, in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Barack Obama, Sr., a Black Kenyan of Nyang’oma Kogelo, Siaya District, Kenya, and Ann Dunham, a White American from Wichita, Kansas. His parents met while attending the University of Hawaii at Manoa, where his father was a foreign student. They separated when he was two years old and later divorced. Obama's father returned to Kenya and saw him only once more before dying in an automobile accident in 1982. After her divorce, Dunham married Lolo Soetoro, and the family moved to Soetoro's home country of Indonesia in 1967, where Obama attended local schools in Jakarta until he was ten years old. He then returned to Honolulu to live with his maternal grandparents while attending Punahou School from the fifth grade in 1971 until his graduation from high school in 1979. Obama's mother returned to Hawaii in 1972 for several years and then back to Indonesia for her fieldwork. She died of ovarian cancer in 1995.As an adult Obama admitted that during high school he used marijuana, cocaine, and alcohol, which he described at the Saddleback Church Civil Forum on the Presidency as his greatest moral failure.

I recently discovered that my mother was born on March 4th in the same year that my maternal grandparents were married . . .

CityofFlight
2nd Sep 2008, 04:04
Con-P... more so tomorrow, when the age goes up and I have to find another post to add sometime to balance it out. :{

Howard Hughes
2nd Sep 2008, 04:21
I for one think it actually adds to Ms Palins candidature, she has even more insight in to the trials and tribulations of 'everyday' folk...:ok:

CityofFlight
2nd Sep 2008, 04:50
Very good point, HH. So far, I'm impressed by how both sides are keeping things on track.

West Coast
2nd Sep 2008, 05:57
Obama was born to a youngster himself. I think he wants nothing to do with criticizing her. Now if the 527 groups follow his lead is to be seen. Calling Mr. Soros, come in please.
Having little ones, If BO is elected he might want to talk with Bill Clinton about whatever implied threat he used to keep Chelsea off limits to the media. I must admit I was impressed by that.