PDA

View Full Version : Where to pack aerosols

Mikehotel152
1st Sep 2008, 20:38
Although I've googled this question, read BAA's website, and checked American Airlines, I still can't be sure whether aerosols - as in deodorant cannisters - are allowed in hand luggage or must be checked in.

Provided one complies with the 100ml rule, can a can of anti-pong be taken in the clear plastic bag?

And the normal size cans? In the checked luggage?

Many thanks for any replies.

Edited to say that I found some more info, which appears to answer my own question...:O

Cosmetics and toiletries
You can bring solid deodorants, lipsticks,
brushes, combs and toothbrushes on
board. One or two pairs of disposable
contact lenses (in sealed packaging) are
also allowed, as are non-disposable lenses
with a small amount of solution. Only fully
disposable razors and razor cartridges are
allowed in hand baggage.

The following products are limited to
100ml, and must also go in a transparent
bag, along with drinks and liquid-based
foods:

• Hairspray and other aerosol items
• Creams
• Roll-on deodorants
• Sun-tanning products
• Lip gloss or lip balms
• Liquid soap
• Toothpaste
• Mascara
• Contact lens solution

13 please
1st Sep 2008, 23:05
I'm sure before all this liquid palaver, aerosols were strictly NOT allowed in hold baggage... not sure now...

Maude Charlee
1st Sep 2008, 23:44
I'm fairly certain (but am willing to stand corrected), but aerosols are one of many prohibited items listed at check-in which cannot be carried in hand luggage or on your person, at least in the UK. For airlines which still issue paper tickets, this information should also be printed on the reverse.

Globaliser
2nd Sep 2008, 08:16
I haven't had any problems with carrying on normal consumer aerosols (like deodorants). The only place where there is anything out of the ordinary is Hong Kong, where security usually takes it out, takes off the top and sniffs it to make sure that it smells of what it says it is. Most places, including the UK, never bat an eyelid.

Torque2
2nd Sep 2008, 09:18
The facts are as follows:

Non-radioactive Medical or Toilet Articles (Including
Aerosols)
• Such as hair sprays, perfumes, colognes and medicines
containing alcohol.
• Carriage may be as carry-on or checked baggage.
• Net quantities of each single article must not exceed 0.5 litres or
0.5kg.
• Total net quantity of all articles must not exceed 2 litres or 2kg.
• Release valves on aerosols must be protected by a cap or other
suitable means to prevent inadvertent release of the contents.

Obviously, due to the current security rules you may not carry any larger than 100mls with you in the cabin but the rest may be carried in hold luggage. :ok:

UniFoxOs
2nd Sep 2008, 11:09
The facts are as follows:

You may take in hand baggage anything that the thick 2@ that checks it deems to be allowed according to his dim-witted understanding and capricious interpretation of the regulations at that date in that airport.

If you attempt to produce any evidence that you should be allowed to carry on anything that the aforesaid thick 2@ deems unsuitable, or otherwise attempt to differ with his/her opinion you will not be boarding any aircraft that day at that airport.

Cheers
UFO

Torque2
2nd Sep 2008, 11:17
Yes, that caveat is worthwhile too!! :D:D:D

2nd Sep 2008, 11:19
One or two pairs of disposable
contact lenses (in sealed packaging) are
also allowed

Crumbs, I didn't know that. I will soon be going away for two weeks and I intended to take everything in hand-luggage (not a problem as I will have access to a washing machine!) I wanted to carry 15 days supply of daily disposable contact lenses. Is that not allowed? They never stopped me last time, maybe they didn't notice.

spiney
2nd Sep 2008, 17:26
I've had situations of different aerosols in check-in baggage being treated differently. Had a couple of aerosol cans in a checked-in bag. Maybe they had some kind of sniffer deal but I was stopped at the Gate, Security produced my bag and asked me to open it. I did so and they removed and confiscated a can of boot waterproof spray but let me keep a can of aerosol deodorant in the same bag. I guess they were able to detect the former having perhaps a higher level of volatility or whatever... No big deal - they just wouldn't let me have it in the bag. It was in Seoul where they have some of the most efficient, polite security I've come across anywhere. :ok:

fallen
3rd Sep 2008, 01:24
removed and confiscated a can of boot waterproof spray but let me keep a can of aerosol deodorant in the same bag. I guess they were able to detect the former having perhaps a higher level of volatility or whateverYou're permitted limited quantities for personal use. They've probably deemed the boot spray as not for personal use.

All Ahead Full
3rd Sep 2008, 10:54
I carry (all under the 100ml guideline) toothpaste, de-ord, mouth wash, etc.. in my hand bags, where ever I go, and don't bother taking them out, never had a problem, yet.

The only one time, was in Stockholm where the container was over 100ml, and the guys took it out had a look, and let me keep it, and sent me on my way.

deltayankee
3rd Sep 2008, 17:42
...they removed and confiscated a can of boot waterproof spray

For the first and possibly only time in my life i think that I might be with the security people on this one. I would also not be convinced that you need to waterproof your boots during even the longest flight, and I am not sure you even need waterproof boots, at least not on the airlines I fly.