PDA

View Full Version : Bloody 'ell.....again.

Airborne Hamster
10th Mar 2001, 01:12
One for any experts using AOL.

I've just loaded version 6.0.Unfortunately,now,every time I log on,as soon as the desk top is displayed,AOL starts automatically.Whether I want it to or not.
Ive tried going through the auto launch menu without success and the internet options in Windows.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Incidently,if Squiddley,Icarus,fobotcso or ExSimGuy are watching - Thankyou - clock now tells the correct time!

Thanks in antip.(again)

AH

lame
10th Mar 2001, 04:51
I have had the same thing for the last couple of days, never used to do it.

I am certainly no expert, but I just contacted AOL Australia, and they claim not to have affected any settings in upgrades?

Their only advice, which I guess is what you have tried? was.

Right click the AOL icon on bottom right tool bar, select auto launch options, then use " do not use auto launch" If still no good, click START, SETTINGS, CONTROL PANEL, INTERNET OPTIONS, PROGRAMS TAB, and click on RESET WEB SETTINGS.

Regards,

"lame"

lame
10th Mar 2001, 06:27
Of course as a way around the problem, not a fix, if all that doesn't work, you could always do what I probably will, disconnect the computer from the phone line until YOU are ready to go online?

Ausatco
10th Mar 2001, 07:32
1 Find and subscribe to a new ISP

2 Save data

3 Format HDD and reinstall

4 Send letter of demand for compensation to AOL for screwing you around.

AOL software makes numerous system changes which basically cannot be uninstalled. Once they're in they take over your system; they have a proprietary way of doing things, many common tools will not work with an AOL system. When you decide you don't like them you can't get rid of them unless you format and re-install. Might as well get it over with early.

I have read in the Oz computer press that they are in court in US for this.

AA

FL310
10th Mar 2001, 11:38
It is hard to understand that adult people are still signing and using AOL and Compuserve and the like with all theses problems known since they are on the market.
It would be the same as if you like to fill up your fridge with some food and first you accept that some examiner comes and controls your present stock.
There are "normal" ISPs out there and there is not even half of the trouble connecting to them, and, a most advantegeous feature of them ist, not to tamper with any settings.
Every ISP who demands a CD install (or a webinstall) is not worth a look at.
With all the internet magazines floating around and with most decent ISPs offering help on their portals, it is very easy to set-up the dialer yourself.
Beside this, there are also many customers at AOL who complain about problems with access to websites...
Hard to understand that some never learn it....

beaver eager
10th Mar 2001, 16:23
I lasted about a week with AOL, what a waste of space. Sometimes you can't even log off when you want to coz it downloads a fresh load of crap into it's system for 2 or 3 minutes after you've tried to disconnect.

But my PC never worked quite right after uninstalling it and I eventually had to re-format the hard disk so I'm with Ausatco
on this one. Just wish I had the time to sue them. At least they didn't take money from my debit card after I'd cancelled (although they didn't refund the unused portion of the month either)!

------------------
Keep it up!

Airborne Hamster
12th Mar 2001, 04:00
Thankyou for your replys people.

Ive only owned a computer for a matter of months and so it's been a bit of a steep learner but this is gradually flattening out.

As far as AOL goes , they are my first ISP,though it looks as though they aren't going to be my last!

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards, AH.