PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham - it's great!!!

RogerIrrelevant69
1st Sep 2008, 14:08
Got 5 spare minutes - find out what Birmingham is really like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxZ1xn2ml10&feature=PlayList&p=90A4D89483154D56&index=4

Krystal n chips
1st Sep 2008, 19:04
And they say the camera never lies.......:yuk:....if ever there was a place that would benefit from a visit... or two....of a wing of B52's...on a daily basis for a month it's Brum....and the local population.

Just a wishful thought....:E

handysnaks
1st Sep 2008, 20:38
Actually, Brum is a great place. two football teams, one decent one and another struggling to survive in the Premier League. Lots of greenery in the city and basking under the shade of the Lickey Mountains and Bartley Green Lake District. Good connections to less civilised parts of the country and a population with a good sense of humour (stand up that boy who said they needed it:} ).
:ok:

Whirlygig
1st Sep 2008, 21:21
Handy, I didn't know the Lickey Hills had been promoted to mountains!! :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

tony draper
1st Sep 2008, 21:34
Pity about the accent though,they even make us Geordies sound cultured.:rolleyes:

Overdrive
1st Sep 2008, 22:28
From 2.30 in, over 40s disco dancing contest.

Did that really happen? :eek:

Windy Militant
1st Sep 2008, 23:10
Ah Bournville, home of Cadburys chocolate. Bosting! :ok:

1st Sep 2008, 23:56
Now look, I live in Brum and if a resident says the Lickeys are a Mountain then a mountain they are. We don't know much about mountains because we are all poor here and don't travel much because very few understand us and it's embarrassing.

We also have the Clent and Walton Hills mountains, and just North W. of Clent some kind of Iron age fort thing with Yew trees a thousand years old. (Wychbury Hill).

Near to said hill, a murder of a young woman was committed in the closing stages of WW2 by an (alleged) USA serviceman. Her name was Bella and her body was left in a Witch Elm. Mysteriously, periodically, somebody daubs the words 'Who put Bella in the Witch Elm' on the sides of the monument (folly) on said hill.

A little further away is the Malverns massive where posh people go skiing.

Windy - get it right will you - it's 'Bostin' not 'Bosting' (that's something they do at tea parties in USA)

And Rear Admiral Draper: which accent particularly? You know from your neck of the woods that accents change considerably within a few miles. We have Black country, Birmingham, Wolverhampton and yes they all sound awful.

Of course the very people with these accents also made the chains and propeller(s) for the Titanic and 50% of them were female.

It is also rumoured that said Bartley Green area which has a splendid reservoir was used as a practice patch for that dam raid.

We have also have the most caring chavs in country - It's true. I'm on my way home from a birthday bash at a back street pub in a dodgy part of the Black Country. It's poring with rain, dark, cold and menacing and I have a hood up on me anorak. I didn't see the car screeching to halt to miss hitting me as I somewhat fumbled my way across a road. Exit four of the most foul mouthed, frightening yobs you have ever seen, tattoos, bottles and I was going to die. The biggest wrenches back my hood and holds his punch in mid air 'Oh' he exclaims 'You are an old geyser - sorry mate we daint know you was an old geyser - 'ere get in the motor, we'll run you 'ome - we respect old geysers we does'. I declined. They left. I was only 52.

Regards

Decypheer this: Mon, bin yow want bostin fettle or yow gooen ackidock?

RogerIrrelevant69
2nd Sep 2008, 11:11
All sounds delightful Cron, I must make the effort to leave the airport next time I'm there...

Anywho I thought the over 40s disco was a treat...especially good when that rather sporty lady flashed her pants.

Old Telly Salvalas got a round a bit you know. According to Wiki, he not only visited Brum for this masterpiece he also did Aberdeen and Portsmouth so they should be good too.

Windy Militant
2nd Sep 2008, 11:16
Apologies Cron, I only know two bits of Birmingham speak both learned phonetically.
Perhaps you can put me right on the other "a kipper tie" which is I believe the offer of a hot beverage. ;)

UniFoxOs
2nd Sep 2008, 11:51
Nice selection of aircraft - BAC 1-11s??

UFO

ThreadBaron
2nd Sep 2008, 11:55
I must make the effort to leave the airport next time I'm there...
Runway 33 is the preferred option ...:ok:

Lickey. I knew it when it were just an Incline.

shack
2nd Sep 2008, 12:01
Just tried to watch the video and I get "this video is not available in your country"--so what are you Brummies trying to hide?

VnV2178B
2nd Sep 2008, 13:11
TB - it's only an incline if yew am posh, for the rest of us it's 'Lickey bonk'.

(Not loike it used to be, these diesels just go up it without needing a banker, where's the fun in that?)

VnV...

shedhead
2nd Sep 2008, 15:04
Only two things you need to know about Birmingham - How to find The Wellington pub and how to stagger from there into the Old Joint Stock ( quite possibly the best looking pub for miles around) try both you will not regret it (until the next morning!!)