PDA

View Full Version : Japan receives first Kawasaki XP-1 maritime patrol aircraft

wessex19
1st Sep 2008, 12:37
source; flight international

Japan's defence ministry has taken delivery of Kawasaki Heavy Industries' prototype XP-1 maritime patrol aircraft for a long-term programme of test and evaluation activities.

Flown for the first time in September 2007, the demonstrator has completed an initial 11-month phase of testing by its prime contractor, which expects to build 70 production P-1s to replace Japan's KHI/Lockheed Martin P-3C Orions.

Handed over on 29 August at the company's Gifu site, the Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries XF-7 turbofan-powered XP-1 will now enter flight test and evaluation by the defence ministry's Technical Research and Development Institute and Japanese navy at the latter's Atsugi air base. Flight testing is expected to continue until the end of fiscal year 2015

YouTube - ??????????-??P-X? ??? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_liOeEPdjW0)

YouTube - ??????????????? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heQ9GgxLZcw&NR=1)

BEagle
1st Sep 2008, 13:23
NIPROD?

OK, OK, I'll get.....

dakkg651
1st Sep 2008, 13:27
Looking at what happened in yesterdays Moto GP they should have gone for a Yamaha!

MarkD
1st Sep 2008, 14:02
Is it a serious P-3 replacement/P-8 competitor or is it basically make-work for Japan's aerospace sector with no export potential?

althenick
1st Sep 2008, 14:10
Is it a serious P-3 replacement/P-8 competitor or is it basically make-work for Japan's aerospace sector with no export potential?

I dont think its in competition with anything. The Japs dont do defence exports officially.

Affirmatron
1st Sep 2008, 15:26
That's a shame, we could have bought a few for when the MR4A gets cancelled.

Interesting point about the Japanese not exporting defence products. Maybe a bit of Japanese inginuity would improve the quality of products available for the UK, like they did when they started exporting motorbikes, cars, electronics etc.

pr00ne
1st Sep 2008, 16:16
Affirmatron,

Yeah right! They made SUCH a good job of the F-2 didn't they?

Green Flash
1st Sep 2008, 17:23
Yeah right! They made SUCH a good job of the F-2 didn't they?

No. But I bet they learn't where they went wrong. They are tenacious and resourcefull and they'll get there in the end. Their first bikes wern't much cop but you see more Hondas than Nortons these days. Be interesting to compare this to the MRA4; does the Kawa have an indiginous mission system? And I understand that the MPA design will form the basis for a C-17 lookalike.

So, we gonna invite them to the next Fincastle? (Yes, I know .....) Or maybe a JMC?

pr00ne
1st Sep 2008, 18:09
Green Flash,

A C-17 look a like? You obviously have no idea of the size of the XP-1, try an Avro RJ look alike, it's a replacement for their C-1A.

Fincastle invite? Damm good idea!

XV277
1st Sep 2008, 19:36
Looks a bit like a squashed DC-8.

Lengthen it, it might make a nice airliner!!

Must be the first land-based custom designed jet MPA.

GreenKnight121
1st Sep 2008, 20:23
C-X

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=137541&d=1155302306

The project is experiencing significant problems, with a redesign of parts of the airframe structure (to correct weaknesses found in testing) appearing to be required. That was several months ago, and I am having trouble finding updated information.

First flight is now no earlier than Dec. 2008.

GreenKnight121
1st Sep 2008, 20:29
Both the XP-1 and the C-X are being marketed in civilian versions, which IS allowed for export.

So, have your favorite airline buy some, then re-sell them to the MOD for fitting-out with the MPA avionics/weapons suite.

If they can get the airframe bugs fixed, here is your A400M alternative too (same acquisition shell-game required).