View Full Version : Merged: V-australia Interviews, T's & C's etc?

DUXNUTZ
1st Sep 2008, 12:26
Love of them or hate them, supposedly they are recruiting.

Anyone any info on what to expect at the interview? Heard some interviewed recently, plz PM me with info if you could...

Ta.

Save the sarcasm please.

KRUSTY 34
1st Sep 2008, 22:16
I'm sure they are DUXNUTZ.

But will they get enough drivers (especially F/O's) with the deal they're offering.

You still out there Sir Donald?

Howard Hughes
2nd Sep 2008, 01:00
But will they get enough drivers (especially F/O's) with the deal they're offering.
They won't have a problem finding Captain's, plenty of people willing to sell their soul to be cruise F/O and if required cruise F/O's will be upgraded ASAP to fill the F/O seats!:ok:

KRUSTY 34
2nd Sep 2008, 02:27
That's something I'm curious about Howard. You join QF or any other international airline as an S/O, do your time, and progress to the right seat. Logical career path.

If you join VA as an S/O that career path doesn't exist. What has been purported (move across to DJ after 3 years, and then move back after another 3!) simply lacks credibility not to mention practicality. Now if that were to change then maybe the poor T&C's offered (especially for F/O's) might fly. If it doesn't, then the money on offer may just have to be reviewed.

As for the current batch of S/O's,

Caveat Emptor boys and girls!

ga_trojan
2nd Sep 2008, 02:46
if required cruise F/O's will be upgraded ASAP to fill the F/O seats!

Yeah but what about V OZ minimums for FO's?

4,000 hours total flying time
2,000 hours multi-crew, multi-engine jet aircraft in excess of 40,000 kgsI highly doubt that there would be that many Cruise FO's with 2000 hours jet over 40T

So are they going to drop their own requirements that they stipulate?

Howard Hughes
2nd Sep 2008, 03:05
What about the entry requirements GA Trojan, I would assume that is only for direct entry candidates! Companies can vary requirements as required to fill the seats, there is no barrier to them fast tracking some of the more experienced cruise F/O's many of whom have considerable experience, even if they don't have time above 40T!

KRUSTY 34
2nd Sep 2008, 04:22
Given the pathetically low remuneration on offer ($53K for an ATPL rated S/O) Howard, I can only speculate that the majority of S/O candidates are hoping for just that.

Problem is VA are due to start flying in DEC. Be interesting to see just how many F/O's they get by then.

The clock is ticking!

cjam
2nd Sep 2008, 09:32
Serious question, how do you know they haven't got the numbers?

another superlame
2nd Sep 2008, 09:40
I am sure their will be enough young pilots out there willing to start of on the Cruise F/O wages.
So even if the bloggers here don't think the remuneration is adequate there will be some who think it is fine to get a foot in the door and get experience on the 777.
You cant always have what you want it doesnt matter what you do.

Artificial Horizon
2nd Sep 2008, 10:37
They can't be having that much trouble getting FO's, I have 5000 tt with 3500 hours on jets over 40000kgs and haven't even received any replies to my application? Then again I may just not fit the profile they are looking for, but this would suggest they have plenty to choose from.

BR715
2nd Sep 2008, 13:10
Quote ga_trogan
Yeah but what about V OZ minimums for FO's?

4,000 hours total flying time
2,000 hours multi-crew, multi-engine jet aircraft in excess of 40,000 kgsI highly doubt that there would be that many Cruise FO's with 2000 hours jet over 40T

G'day trogan, the above minimums for SFO's are only for direct entry pilots. Once you are in there is no requriment for the 2000 jet and can be promoted based on SIM performance and overall performance within the company etc when ever management sees fit. You are correct there are not many CFO's with 2000 jet over 40t however there are a few with close to or just over 1000 jet 40t
:):)

KRUSTY 34
3rd Sep 2008, 01:48
BR715,

Can you tell me where in the VA industrial agreement (if you can call it that) does it mention any sort of progression from the back seat to the right seat. My understanding is that VA has only alluded to S/O's progressing, via DJ and then back again. Even though DJ HR have no official knowledge of this!

I would suggest that any talk of vertical progression from back to front within VA is speculation at best. Logically VA should do just that. But to date they have made no indication of it being a possibility.

KRUSTY 34
3rd Sep 2008, 05:17
BO43,

As another famous Redhead once said,

Please explain?

Jabawocky
3rd Sep 2008, 05:37
I think he is trying to bait you to see what it is you actually do fly....

J:ok:

go_soaring
3rd Sep 2008, 06:53
The V Australia application form says 'Flight Time requirements are preferred hours, but exceptions may be made dependent on the applicant's aircraft type and experience. Pilots with less experience than stipulated are welcome to apply.'

So even though I dont meet the FO requirements, I still put in my application. Though, I said in the 'please tell us why you want to work for VA/why should we hire you?' box, I'm only interested in becoming a FO and in the future a Captain.

Figured, if they dont call me I've lost nothing as I can't see myself accepting the SO T&C's, however if they accept me as a FO then it's a BIG WIN for me!

Not holding my breath..
go_soaring! instead

BR715
3rd Sep 2008, 08:39
Hi Krusty

You are indeed correct that the individual contract does not cover the progression of pilots specifically, in fact there are a lot of things that does not cover or is very vauge. It however does talk about general suitability and performance within the company at your specific role, be that as a SFO or a CFO.

What has been told to some candidates in the interview process (depending on there hours/experience) is that 1- To get some further experience, i.e flying sectors you will probably have to go back to VB at some point. Don't take this as gospel but apparently this would be to pilots with limited 2 crew operations or no previous time on jets or descent size turboprops (specifically guys off a baron, king Air)
2. Pilots with more experience i.e. previous jet experience or high time turboprop pilots to my knowledge were not told they MUST go back to D.J

In lieu of all this candidates were made aware of the reality of things. What i mean by this is that in 2-3 years (for example) there was no movement due to industry downturn etc pilots will be given the option to go back to VB however it wont be a mandatory thing. They were also told that the company would endevour to
promote people vertically. I guess this is all well and good to be told in the interview but where the problem lies is in these poorly written individual contracts which really as Krusty pointed out doesn't guarantee anything.

In a nut shell all you can do is go off what you were told in the interview and hope that when the time comes management will stick to what people were told in the interview process (dont hold your breath though)

Hope this answers your question Krusty
:)

solowflyer
3rd Sep 2008, 09:27
$53K far out hope they will be offering other perks. I'm getting nearly dubble that on single pistons

KRUSTY 34
3rd Sep 2008, 09:55
Thanks BR715.

Pretty much what I already knew. I Just think it's a shame in this day and age that a company is either unable or simply unwilling to give their professional candidates a reasonable measure of contractual stability.

Part of the hype over the launch of VA was they were going to have the best pilots available. Yet the reality is they offer substandard conditions and vauge career opportunities. So, will the pilots they attract be the best available? What else about them should we be wary of?

I think they could/should do better.

V-SFO
3rd Sep 2008, 09:57
It is always interesting to read these posts from those that are not on the inside and compare them to what is actually happening.

In the short term, the aviation world has changed dramatically. Even though there may be a shortage of pilot worldwide, there is an oversupply both in America and Australia. The bargaining power simply may not be there at this point unless you are willing to move far away from home.

For me, it comes down to the job and the people I work for...do I trust them? Is it a job that I love and am I willing to do? Do I look forward to going to work, do I respect the people I work for, do I trust them to do the right thing. In my last two companies, the answer was simply...NO. I didn't trust them, they were dishonest, they used their employees and it was all about the mighty dollar...at all costs. Never mind the future, today is it.

I have been involved with V now for about 10 weeks. I must say that I have never been involved with a better group of guys, dedicated to the success of the mission. I just finished my B777 type rating and I have to say that it was the most enjoyable course that I have ever been on. My training partner was simply superb, my instructors top notch, and the Vaustralia training manager...simply the best that I have ever been associated with. No egos, no games, no "make it harder than it has to be", simply get on with the business at hand. I have now been with 5 airlines and without a doubt, the atmosphere at Vaustralia is the best that I have ever or could ever imagine.

I have run into some of the training fight attendants for the company that I have worked with at other companies and they are simply the best flight attendants that I have worked with. They see what I see...something different across the Pacific. Vaustralia will be successful because of the people and talent that they are hiring, not by screwing the people they hire.

So for now, I trust them to do the right thing by me. I respect and admire each and every member that has taken the risk to join this new airline.

The pay isn't the best, but at the end of the day, enjoying your job and being proud of the company you work for is worth alot. I am proud to say that I am a First Officer at V and I believe that at a minimum we are going to drive United out of the market and compete ferociously with Qantas on the route.

No more petty games, no more egos, just a bunch of hard working people ready to make a difference.

So sit on your "high horse" and talk about how bad it is at V,,,then come join us in the crew room and see how much we enjoy it. I wouldn't trade the experience for all the "tea in China".

another superlame
3rd Sep 2008, 10:13
Good on you V-SFO some one who is in touch with reality.
I would love to join V Aust as a LAME on the 777 but unfortunately they wont be doing any of their on spanner turning for the forseeable future.

But I do believe if you have joined at the start of this operation and it turns out to be successful then $53k might just be the spring board to the right seat. Some companies still reward loyalty. QF isn't one of them, hopefully V Aust will be.

From my experience most people in the Virgin group are happy and willing, it reminds me of the way QF used to be.

2dotsright
3rd Sep 2008, 10:38
I agree 100%........ "Good onya VSFO" Hope to get to fly with you someday.. Too many whingers here who think the world owes them a living better than the rest... Good luck with the job and enjoy flying that magificent machine.... Everybody will be pea green with envy of you boyo...

Pin Head
3rd Sep 2008, 16:27
so come on then who has applied - quick poll?

What experience do people have?

Mr.Buzzy
3rd Sep 2008, 19:04
Be interested to hear from you in 12 months V-SFO.

Merlins Magic
3rd Sep 2008, 22:07
I am amazed. At the start of the year I interviewed with V Oz. I raised several points about is V Oz and VB one and the same company. The response every time I went down this path was 'no, we have no direct relationship at all.' This of coarse had me asking more questions about the upgrade to FO policy (go to VB), the ETOPS approval they are getting based on VB maintenance, staff travel agreements etc. All the while they still insisted that they have no direct relationship with VB. It seems that every other day, Brett Godffrey is making statements about V Oz - a company he apparantley has no direct relationship with.:ugh:

For the record, I was offered a CFO position which I turned down after seeing the package on offer and also the fact they they had (still do) have many many unanswered questions.

KRUSTY 34
4th Sep 2008, 00:10
Gidday Merlins'.

There appear to be 2 types of prospective candidate here.

Those that look at the offer with a dispationate critical eye, who appraise the situation logically, applying their own knowledge and experience to make an informed choice.
Those who wade in regardless, and hope for the best.mmmm....

Track Direct
4th Sep 2008, 02:17
V-SFO,

Just wondering how you feel about the bloke in the C210 who taxi's past your 777 at BN, when he's earning about 20K per year more than you, as a charter pilot. :}

The EBA seems pretty tight, as others have suggested, a very ordinary V-Oz package ! :yuk:

As Buz said, it will be interesting to hear how rosy it all is in about 12 months time...:E

Howard Hughes
4th Sep 2008, 03:35
The EBA seems pretty tight,
EBA? Surely you jest....:rolleyes:

An EBA requires input from both the employer and the employee, not a 'take it or leave it' attitude!

TexanPilot
4th Sep 2008, 04:00
If you don't want to join V Aus then don't bag out the people that do. All airlines offer lower packages on start up and they will get better as the company builds. I myself am a turbine captain with a rather large company, I interviewed for a V position and am still waiting to hear back. I agree that the company is not for everyone but on the end (as it has been said in this thread) money isn't everything.

Pilots are meant to stick together, not be a bunch of wingeing idiots.

ROO-C26B
5th Sep 2008, 07:06
Thanks for your post V SFO.

I've recently attended a CFO interview on the 19th Aug. The people I met on that day were professional, genuine and approachable. There was a buzz within the VA office when I walked in to do my revalidated psychromatric test. In my opinion VA will be a successful company.

I am still waiting for a reply. Can anyone who attended an interview on the 19th please advise whether you have received a reply or not?

Cheers

farrari
5th Sep 2008, 07:17
Did mine on the 12th got the phone call today:ok:

Capt Coco
5th Sep 2008, 08:41
Hey Texanpilot, not all....
"All airlines offer lower packages on start up and they will get better as the company builds."

There was an airline in Asia that started about 7 to 8 years ago, who were offering $18000 AUD a month for F/O(total package) and $24000 AUD a month Capt (mind you the $USD-$AUD was at .51 cents then). But the idea was to offer the money to get the quality pilots they wanted as their core group at start up. Unfortunately the conditions didn't/haven't get better as the company builds and have almost stayed the same:confused:.

Good luck V-SFO, I hope for you the job continues to be enjoyable. It would be interesting to see how you and the start up group feel about the job down the track after a year or two. I reckon staff morale and job satisaction would be very high during the honeymoon period, chatting to some VB pilots who joined at the start, it lasted about 2 years ish.

There were a few guys up here who were offered jobs at V, but they have all declined...they said the package just didn't add up/make sense for them, but I guess it will for others.

TexanPilot
5th Sep 2008, 10:13
I also did my interview on the 12th August... haven't heard yet but my references were checked this week.

another superlame
6th Sep 2008, 01:37
YoDawg at least V OZ has a better business plan and credentials behind them than Compass. I think Compass was wrong place at the wrong time, the OZ aviation industry is a different animal today compare to 15 years ago, I believe V OZ will do well. Most things that the Virgin group have done in OZ have been successful.

No1Dear
8th Sep 2008, 02:45
Can anyone who has had a recent CFO interview please share their experience?

thanks

Howard Hughes
8th Sep 2008, 03:26
There has been at least 3 threads on the same subject in the last week! :rolleyes:
Oh look we have been transported to a magical place....;)
Most things that the Virgin group have done in OZ have been successful.
Virgin were fortunate that Ansett fell over when they did! Perhaps they are now hoping Qantas will do the same...:ooh:

Tidbinbilla
8th Sep 2008, 03:29
Merged for that very reason. There is a search function on the top menu bar.

Please feel free to use it.

HIALS
8th Sep 2008, 06:31
I have just received an invitation to interview with V Australia. I have been offered interview dates in October & November.

I am informed that - "all costs associated with attendance are your responsibility". Whilst not a 'show stopper' for me it's a 'downer'.:suspect:

I am not B777 type rated. Though I have swags of wide-body command time. Does anyone know what the deal is regarding the costs of endorsement?:confused:

Does anyone have a firm set of terms and conditions yet?:rolleyes:

teresa green
8th Sep 2008, 07:25
I think he is trying to say look elsewhere mate!

Obie
8th Sep 2008, 07:40
You're a big boy, HIALS...

and you've been around the traps for a few years!...

I think your ego is getting in the way!

Nobody gives a stuff about what you should, or shouldn't, do!

Make your own decision Mate!! :*:*

Obie
8th Sep 2008, 08:13
Err!!...and could I suggest, that if you have any questions, ring them and ask them, not us!! :=:=

Not much command potential being shown here to us on Prune!! :(

Obie
8th Sep 2008, 08:47
...and, if I were you, I would ignore WangFunks post!...

this is a man seriously in need of help! :(

HIALS
8th Sep 2008, 08:57
...thanks, but I am ignoring your posts too....

slamer.
8th Sep 2008, 09:07
Obie, did you stew on that for over an hour...?????

I hear $$$ for a B773 cmmd at V are atrocious, similar to what B773 FO's are getting elswhere and little or no package/conditions ....is this correct?

BR715
8th Sep 2008, 09:08
Wow someone is very bitter!!!
WangFunk are you one of the guys that didn't get in??, hope you have a good job mate cause i dont think anyone would give you a job with that attitude!!!!!!!

Capt Wally
8th Sep 2008, 09:17
'HIALS' it's not about flying anymore these days I reckon, heavens knows you can teach a monkey to fly a modern day jet it's more about where you want to reside/work & under what T&C's, flying the plane is the eay bit i'd say!
You will get all sorts of reactions here within PPRUNE about yr question, you posted a question that you obvioulsy believed vaild but only you know what you want at the end of the day.
I believe that VB are nothing special but they might very well suit you as an individual, base yr decisons on that fact.
The beauty about aviation is that it's like the WX, ya never know what to expect the very next day! Unless you live in QLD then that's too damn boring for me:E
Choose wisely yr future, PPRUNE probably shouldn't be part of that chose:ok:

CW

Mr.Buzzy
8th Sep 2008, 09:49
One middle finger for them....... and one for their dog!

bbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

walaper
8th Sep 2008, 11:02
HIALS as was said make up your own mind and for f#$%%k don't do it:}:}:}

yowie
8th Sep 2008, 11:16
Knowing of a few that have got in from NJ, they certainly dont discriminate:}

KRUSTY 34
8th Sep 2008, 11:48
Guys,

I wouldn't dismiss WankFunk's comments out of hand. Try and see through the VA hype. You just might be doing yourselves a favour.

As for the deal? Have a look at what the Dubai based LCC startup is paying for a spot on a 738. I know the arguements, its not home and all that, but along with the worldwide expansion over the next 2-5 years, VA do need to do better. A lot better!

Eclan
8th Sep 2008, 15:33
WangFunk, I hear you talking....... I think. and a management team that havent even started the airline but yet ..have already started to bag pilots to cabin crew and the rest! How about elaborating on the above, for us fence-sitters? Are you saying the same old sh!t is setting in already??

LM82
9th Sep 2008, 07:41
I will probably get shot for asking this but here goes,

I have an interview so if anyone has any info specific to the interview they are willing to share can you please pm me when you get a chance?

Cheers

TopTup
9th Sep 2008, 07:58
I seem to recall when DJ started up so many guys saying the exact same thing as people are today about VA. "Paying for an endorsement is bull$hit! And the money is discraceful, lowest paid 737 drivers in the world [rightly or wrongly], What a bunch of sell-outs, guys taking that money and paying for the training will ruin this industry..........!!" What still gives me a chuckle is those same guys are either with DJ or JQ now. That is, they gave in and "turned" to use some expressions used by them.

No, I don't work for VA but was offered after being interviewed. No I don't work for DJ or JQ. Personal choice. A few more years elsewhere and then maybe, if possible for VA or take a basing back in Oz.

And, I've posted before, with no answers: CX pay DEFO's in Oz on A330 = $97k (initially) a year. VA paying DEFO's $117k a year, $134k inc of super. :eek:

I don't hear the same knives and daggers out for the CX DEFO's and the like? Searched on Fragent Harbour, but nothing immeditely found.

Just curious as to why CX are [still] so openly regarded as one of the best to work for and yet things appear worse for the same drivers.

forgetabowdit
12th Sep 2008, 01:20
Keeping in mind the $'s for CX DEFO in Aus (Surprising to me, but there you go), I heard other interesting figures a few days ago too...

Can anyone confirm that JQ A330 drivers are on 166 Capt and 91/99/108 for Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 FO respectively. I know the A330 is a smaller rig than he 777, butI was surprised that it was so low... (On a side note, I bet Joyce can not wait to get his hands on the qf lh conditions... Interesting next 5 years for qf in light of the fact that their own guys (jq) are happily? working for SO much less...)

Times are a changing huh...

WangFunk
12th Sep 2008, 02:03
For you whinging CFO'S ...You will have limited opportunity getting a job overseas with 'CRUISE FO' time trust me! :eek:

Message completed

psycho joe
12th Sep 2008, 05:22
Plus you get to strut your way through LAX wearing funky brown pants.:ok:

"You can tell by the way I walk, Im a womans man, no time to talk"

EPASZ
12th Sep 2008, 10:30
When they say type rating for Aircraft > 40,000 kg....that would be MTOW? or ?

TopTup
14th Sep 2008, 05:43
Captain Dart: touche! Got me there.

WangFunk, I LOVE my job! Driving a 777-300ER/200LR all over the world. I went in eyes wide open, don't compare my path to others, or my job, or take a deposition against those who take a seperate path to mine. Yeah many moons ago when I was building up the hours the thought that a high school drop out druggie working as a labourer earnt more than me raised an eye brow. But guess what? I didn't want to be a labourer.

I wasn't about in airlines in '89 and therefore haven't the right to carry on the hate. Wasn't there and can't comment on what I would have done. I know what I would "like" to have done, but again never walked a mile in those shoes. Lucky. I can sympathise but refuse to perpetuate the hate.

Sad but true I a get smile still walking down that airbridge.

Don't hang the VA guys for their choice. I do not agree wth the CRFO role or money and think they are contributing to the down turn in T&C's, but my opinion only on the CRFO postion. They have their reasons. Not going to chest beat my beliefs.

Question: Do you work for DJ or JQ or Tiger? Did you pay for your endorsement? Not so many years ago people were writing posts like you have about VA about DJ when they started up, and the pilots taking the job for the T's & C's on offer, let alone paying for an endorsement! What low life bastards they were regarded as at the time! How things change! :ugh:

The CX DEFO pay does go up to $117 k after 3 or 4 years for an Aussie base. No expat allowances (obviously), no health insurance. I think you'd be amazed at the similarities between SFO VA, CX DEFO in Oz and other such carriers if you could just see the forest. You've made some very untrue statements about the VA conditions, but I'm not going to pick apart each one.

I did the VA interview and was offered the job but opted not to. I know the full T's & C's on offer, as I do about CX, KA, EK, etc and other airlines. Lucky to have been around them and there a bit.

Like I said, not going to argue with you buddy and probably shouldn't have replied. Will go and enjoy my layover in this beautiful city.

Just lose the anger mate.

Back to the topic of this thread: PM me for info on the interview process and some hints that may help out.

BR715
14th Sep 2008, 06:17
TopTup:D
Good post mate, enjoy your layover:ok:

KRUSTY 34
14th Sep 2008, 06:24
Let's all have a big hug!!!

Top Tup.

Could you please inform the forum as to why, after going through all the hoops, and I would imagine some measure of personal expense, why didn't you accept the offer?

TopTup
14th Sep 2008, 06:56
I saw VA as a chance to get back to Oz and fly, in my opinion, the most beautiful aeroplane in the sky. I had "heard" about the T's & C's but the only one real way to find out for myself and be in an educated position was to ask directly. So I liaised with VA to be interviewed when I was able to either be in BN or a city that they would be. They were most helpful and accommodating.

Personal expense? Not really when using staff tickets. I was coming home anyway for a visit so was able to combine the two.

Hoops to jump through? Not that difficult to be honest. A very fair (a bit of pscho-babble involved) interview process. Think DJ meets CX.

After reviewing it all and having the facts I opted not to join. MUCH better money and career prospects with my present employer: Aussie tax, car (+ associated costs), house & utility costs (paid for by present employer), insurance costs (car, house and personal) etc, etc.... Plus, a few senior Capts are moving on to VA from my present employer thus improving my seniority. In short a few more years where I am leaves me in much better financial and professional stead to come back to Oz.

So each person has to make their own mind up relative to their own situation. For me it will be a trade off of reduced salary for lifestyle.

VA were again very understanding and will happilly review my application should I seek to reapply. But then again, maybe an Oz basing with another carrier will be better. Maybe apply for domestic? Enjoy long haul too much at present. Don't know, but I can assure I will go in eyes wide open before making a decision and not listen to bitter, twisted, ill informed and gossipping school kids.

As an expat I have to assess what cost on lifestyle, that's what it came down to.

Hope that explains my individual experience with VA. Remember, an interview in a two way street. You must see if they will meet your career needs and you will be happy working with them, as much as they are interviewing you.

galdian
14th Sep 2008, 08:12
Top Tup

There is NO WAY you can be an airline pilot! :=:=:=:=:=

Your response(s) are erudite, practical, sensibly laid out, informative and lack the venom that some posters believe is the hallmark of a "challenging wit."

Therefore, I say again, at least on Pprune, you CANNOT BE an airline pilot! :=:=:=:=:=

.........and on the off chance, by some freak of nature, you really ARE an airline pilot.......then very impressed, love your work, :ok:

cheers

bullamakanka
14th Sep 2008, 23:50
Is it still free if you resign the day after you get the endo?

Bulla

breakfastburrito
15th Sep 2008, 00:35
Hi Bullamaker,

sorry, but what do you mean?I think he mean is FREE or is it FREE*

*As usual, terms and conditions apply, see fine print for details.

framer
15th Sep 2008, 01:20
Is it still free if you resign the day after you get the endo?

Bulla

Surely the only reason you would want to do that is to prove you have no morals anyway?

apache
15th Sep 2008, 03:05
NOTHING is free, my friends. Whether you pay up front, or have to pay over the course of your career there via LOW wages.... you WILL pay!

what is the incentive for 777 type rated pilots to join? do they get higher wages? or are they just not bonded ?

WangFunk
15th Sep 2008, 03:25
I agree with you more than you would believe in certain cases. No, I am not an agro, Im very easy going in fact. Maybe im a little angry YES. I do get offended when 'certain' people bag my profession to other members of staff within the same company. Thats what really gets me. I worked extremely hard to get where I am...Extremely! I am willing to help out my employer only if is reciprocated in some way, or at least acknowledged in some form. I dont appreciate narrow minded individuals, but most of all, I dislike that the respect for our profession is rapidly diminshing (im sure the travelling public would too). Some people will only hear what they want to. We have all been there at some point I know. I think I have made alot of very valid points on the matter. I should not have replied to your response, but I thought you deserved one. I will not respond any more on this topic nor to anyone else on here.. I have said everything I had to say

greenslopes
15th Sep 2008, 03:34
How about being drafted in on a day off for no extra money, or what about being given crew food in lieu of allowances etc,etc,etc Yeah right...........it's Free, Hahahahaha

Howard Hughes
15th Sep 2008, 03:44
"FREE" http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/lol2.gif

Mr.Buzzy
15th Sep 2008, 04:53
Or how about "enjoying" your "day off" in some shonky, honky hood in LA while your daughter wonders where Daddy is on her birthday. At least the crew meal will be good..... bwahhhaaaaahhaa

You're a pack of jokers that can't read.

bbbzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mr.Buzzy
15th Sep 2008, 07:45
if what I've read is all what you have, then go away

Oh boy, VA are really aiming high when it comes to the standard of candidate they want. That selection process must be a real ballache......NOT

bwahhhahahahaa....jokers......

bbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

stealthone
15th Sep 2008, 10:23
I have just received an invitation to interview with V Australia, TT3600, jet time 3300.

BR715
15th Sep 2008, 10:50
Quote pettycoat pilot 'I agreed with them but where did their posts go'

I was wondering that myself?????

bullamakanka
15th Sep 2008, 11:23
VH - YES

I think you will find the SYD based Dash operator you refer to does not charge for the endo, plus you will probably earn more, work less, and get paid for working on your day off. I did 700 hrs and got 65k there last yr. Not money to get rich on but a pretty good life style.

The ONLY reason that VA are not charging for the endo is because its the only way they will get any crew in the current environment. If they started up 3 years ago they would be charging for it, just like VB, Jet*, etc, etc. They are not trying to be fair mate, just doing what they have too so they can get the show on the road.

I am not trying to bag you or anyone else who accepts a job there. Just be aware of why things are the way they are and where the terms and conditions sit relitave to other operators.

Framer, no I would not plan to leave anywhere the next day. Just pointing out that the endo is not free, i.e your bonded. If you left within the bond period you would be up for the cost of the endo.

Bulla

framer
15th Sep 2008, 12:25
I got it now Bulla....I'm just a bit slow to catch on :)

B043
15th Sep 2008, 13:52
Buzzy,

Not everyone has children.... chill!

:)

Mr.Buzzy
15th Sep 2008, 14:24
Sure thing B043,
forgot about the "no kids clause" included by the management "team"!

Interestingly, I hear that pilot applicants over 80kg have been scrubbed. Numbers have been crunched and the cost of carrying the extra weight of 3 "heavier" pilots over the Pacific over a year is, in accountant speak... considerable!

Enjoy the booby prize......

bbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

bullamakanka
15th Sep 2008, 23:31
You are worse off at VA, ops could not help myself, sorry. I only wrote tht because you told me not to....

Just be aware you are accepting a long haul life style, i.e. away from home alot, missing family events, insomnia, tiredness and the long term effects of jet lag, (bad for your health!!, thats why I think its worth getting paid well for) all at a regional airline wage.

As I previously said I am not trying to give you a hard time for accepting it. If you are happy, that is all that counts. However it can not be said it is a good deal, thats all.

Have a nice day,

Bulla ;)

Redflags
15th Sep 2008, 23:41
Hey Bulla, why do you always have the 'final say?' your not female are you? :confused:

Can't you simply let those guys who joined VA enjoy their job, do you see anyone bagging your regional possie?

:ugh:

greenslopes
15th Sep 2008, 23:51
vh-yes, have another look at your contract. It states fairly clearly that your per annum salary is for 1000 Hours and includes callouts on days off. I.E you will not be paid extra when told to work on your day off. Also the percentage bonus has so many caveats that you will not see any percentage gain till the airline makes a profit.........who knows how long that will be!
I don't know why anyone would choose to accept this contract unless they were unemployed presently, or extremely desperate to return to Oz.

I'm not trying to sledge you just point out that this employment contract is the worst I have ever seen. I would rather work for J*,Tiger,Air Asia X,Ryanair.

V Oz will get off the ground but I wonder how long it will hold onto the Capt's and F/O's once realization sets in.

Make a wise decision based on all the facts avble.

Also check out the thread regarding V Oz's HR departments attitude towards flight deck.................Do your research and make up your own conclusion.

Di_Vosh
16th Sep 2008, 01:28
A bit of thread drift, but VH-YES said:

I was interviewed by QL earlier in the year and I was flattly told -

1. Pay $18,000 upfront and even though I was not to be based in Syd I was to pay for accommodation, food etc etc for the entire 2 months training without PAY! and JS do the exact same thing and is a fact not fiction, wonder where they got the idea from?

When were you interviewed? I was interviewed by QL in March and started my course in April (DEFO). One of my friends did the traineeship a month later and another one did the traineeship the month after that.

EVERYONE in my course who wasn't based in SYD was reimbursed accomodation, AND got overnight allowances on top of that (AFAIK, the same went for the other courses).

The DEFO's had a choice of either an upfront $10,000.00. You'd not get paid until you got your Dash-8 endo (5-8 weeks later), but you'd then be on full pay. If you went for the bond ($19,000 pro-rata over 3 years) you'd be on training pay (around 80% of full-pay) from day one of the ground school.

The traineeship candidates didn't get paid while they were at GFS. They were bonded for four years, but were also paid the training pay from day one of the ground school.

PM me if you like, so as not to stray from the thread, but your QL interview expectations was very different to mine and everyone I've since met at QL.

DIVOSH!

bullamakanka
16th Sep 2008, 01:36
Redflags

Gee mate, thats a strange thing to write :bored: ??? Are YES and I not allowed to trade thoughts?

Not happy for them to enjoy it??? Not sure what you mean??

"As I previously said I am not trying to give you a hard time for accepting it. If you are happy, that is all that counts."

Crew there can enjoy it as much as they want to, just like working at any other job.

Bulla

VH-YES
16th Sep 2008, 21:40
What can I say but :ok:

NG Dude
19th Sep 2008, 22:51
Sorry to bring the forum back to its original question, but any of the guys/gals that have been to the interview with v Oz able to share with us their thoughts?
-Tech questions asked, is it handling big jets/Cathay type questions
-Pysch test, recommended preperation
-General interviewer questions
-Group exercise what to expect

VH-YES
19th Sep 2008, 23:43
Quote -

Tech questions asked, is it handling big jets/Cathay type questions - About 15 Tech questions, and none that I remember from my CX and EK days were similiar which was refreshing. Common sense ones thank god! but each person had a different exam and you'll just have to be expereinced to get the answers I guess or read as many books as you can, sry don't know where to start re: this.

-Pysch test, recommended preperation - I have recommended to others to do a course and well worth the money. They were similar again to Q, CX and EK but as the test went on they got harder. 4 hrs at home followed by a confirmation 30-40 min test at DJ's, The 3rd party can tell if the person at home actually did the test at DJ's so look out.
-General interviewer questions - Again pretty much STD, why here and tell me how you got to this stage in your career etc etc. Again, a course will well prepare you for this and many other well known Co's. You must be honest as a 3rd party will check trust me and so they should.
-Group exercise what to expect -I must say, this was actually harder than EK's (which I passed) and you really can't practice because you are who you are and nothing can train you for that. There are about 4-5 managers watching (depending on class size) and no one is appointed head, you must interact but don't over do it either. Again, this is where they join the dots, they compare your Phy tests along with interview and see if your the name on the application. Hell I know heaps in the past (not at VA) who act this part well only to be tripped up when they finally join so VA are pretty weary of this and again they should I guess because 14 hrs is a long time between stiff drinks :)

Does this help :rolleyes: and good luck :ok:

High-Bypass
20th Sep 2008, 13:38
When i did my psych test at home, i used a calculator for the maths. On the day of my interview, wasnt allowed to use a calculator. :oh: this would have a made a huge discrepency in my answers !!!!

Was i not allowed to use a calculator at home ??

Redflags
21st Sep 2008, 05:06
NO! hence why they check - whoops! :ugh:

But before you cut your wrists, relax, provided the rest matches you'll be fine otherwise - unfortunately like me, chalk this up to expereince but it helps down the track trust me applicate.

:ok:

TexanPilot
21st Sep 2008, 07:45
I used a calculator for the maths portion of the home testing (which it said in my information that I was allowed to) and I was given a calculator for the validation testing. However I was not allowed a calculator for the tech quiz. If this is different than other people they might have thought I just looked dumber lol. :}

VH-YES great post, I think that is the most helpful post on this entire thread. You described my expereince to a tee. :D