PDA

View Full Version : Multiple ISP's

No speed Restriction
6th May 2001, 14:57
Hi all,

I've finally decided to ask a long running question..... I have several different email accounts, using my new btinternet connection I can check most of them, however it refuses to access my freeserve account why is this? Freeserve is the same, it won't check my btinternet account. My BT account is free to dial but freeserve ain't so how do I get my mail without it costing me cash?
Thanks in anticipation NsR

ExSimGuy
7th May 2001, 12:39
Get your mail? or send your mail?

I use 2 accounts (on the same ISP) in Saudi, which causes no problems, and also my freeserve in UK, my #2 daughter's AOL when with her in UK and #1 daughter's MSN account when in US. In some cases, I can't send email over one ISP with the "from" of another ISP; the way round that is to change the "outgoing - SMTP" in the outlook email account that you are trying to send "from" to that of the ISP you are actually using, but I have had no problems with any of the ISPs in downloading received emails from all of my ISPs over any of the connections. (eg, I can check my 2 Saudi accounts no probs when logged onto freeserve, and vice versa.

Chilli Monster
7th May 2001, 13:39
Check your account settings in outlook (or outlook express). Go to Tools - Accounts - Properties and click on the connection tab. If you're using Outlook then you want to select "connect using 3rd party dialler", if outlook express it'll be something like "connect via any available connection". I am in the same position as yourself and use BT most of the time, but never have any problems downloading freeserve mail through BT.

As ex-sim guy says though, remember for sending you can only send freeserve to freeserve if you are connected via BT (but obviously BT to any) and vice versa.

Drop me a line if you still have no joy - it's not a huge problem to sort.

CM

Mr Gorsky
10th May 2001, 15:24
Slightly changing the subject but does anyone know of a smtp server that does not require you to connected to the owner with a dial-up connection?

I also use several ISP's and find it a pain to keep changing the smtp server on my mail software each time I swap ISP's.

Regards,

MG