PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan Mubarak!

OMDB-PiLoT
31st Aug 2008, 19:58
Hello everyone. Ramadan mubarak to all Muslim pilots in the middle-east region. May Allah accepts your fasting and gives his blessing during this holy month of Ramadan.

I was just wondering if any of you plan on fasting while flying? Is there any rule set by airlines on this issue? Can it be taken as a safety hazard? Happy flying to everyone as well!

tmax
31st Aug 2008, 20:25
there is no rule but who cares about flying when fasting!!! the most dangerous think is driving with all these donkeys around!! Ramadan kareem and stay home do not drive,fly it is safer and for those who fly let allah be with them,they will need Him.Me i will not send even a letter with them anyway untill eid mubarak

Sultan85
31st Aug 2008, 21:31
Ramadan kareem to all.:)

Fool 'n' Tameez
31st Aug 2008, 22:13
Ramadan Kareem

msian1147
1st Sep 2008, 03:17
Ramadhan Kareem..

Jazakallah..

pool
1st Sep 2008, 04:09
I was just wondering if any of you plan on fasting while flying? Is there any rule set by airlines on this issue? Can it be taken as a safety hazard? Happy flying to everyone as well!

Up to now I have only flown with two guys who strictly observed fasting. Most of the others at least drink and take up minimum food to keep the blood sugar level at a sane and functional level. The Kuran by the way clearly allows people on travel to break the fast, which seems very sensibel.
Without wanting to offense any religious feelings, just on a professional level, fasting as a active crew member , imho, is highly unprofessional. We all know that with low blood sugar the reaction performance deteriorates similarly as when intoxicated with alcohol. Our passengers have payed their tickets with the belief of getting well trained, well rested and in no way at all physically degraded crew on their aircraft.

Ramadan Kareem to all, crew and passengers.

lynazeina1
1st Sep 2008, 10:47
Salem walikom,Thanks Allah for everything. I hope to find a pilot job in muslim country. Incha allahRamadan Kereem for everybody and salem walikom.

411A
1st Sep 2008, 13:55
Scene, Saudi, circa 1984, or thereabouts.
Scheduled flight in the big Lockheed tri-motor to Dhahran, at just approaching sunset.
During the initial climb, both the First Officer and Flight Engineer ask if I can fly ahhh, lower so as to assure that the sun disappears, sooner....as they were rather hungry.

Sure, says I, how about FL150?
OK with ATC so we level off at 150.

Fuel is cheap, there....then, and now.:}

A well fed crew is a happy crew...:D

SU-GCM
2nd Sep 2008, 05:19
Ramadan Karim for all fellows on that great forum weather pilots/crews/or even flightsimmers :)

Desert Diner
2nd Sep 2008, 14:04
Ramadan Kareem

sayed777
2nd Sep 2008, 14:08
Ramadan Kareem

QTRminator
2nd Sep 2008, 15:43
Ramadan Kareem!
Well written pool.
Very few comments on the original subject from you guys...
I hope all muslim pilots will take thier responsability and refrain from fasting while flying until we have a rule forbidding it, as there should be. We owe it to our familys, passengers, fellow crew and our companies to stay safe and not take any unnecessary risks.

fractional
2nd Sep 2008, 21:46
A well fed crew is a happy crew... I really hope crews (flight and ground) understand that to the letter and keep safe flying. Prayers are offered anywhere and any time, bearing mind professionalism must be paramount.

Mr Ho
3rd Sep 2008, 09:00
Today man blow horn and yell at me finger pointing sky. I stop car get out and look on top of car nothing there. Last week leaved shoping on roof cause accidant. Other people blow horn at me now I look every where till smoke finished but find nothing wong? Is ramadam thing to horn blow? :8

porch monkey
3rd Sep 2008, 10:31
HUH?:confused:

yellow cab
3rd Sep 2008, 11:06
salam,, this my 1st time to post anything in prune
pls let us change the subject it is not god to talk bout religous matters specialy if we do not know how it is affecting others,
let us respect each other,

pool
3rd Sep 2008, 12:07
salam to you, yellow cab.

No, no easy way out with the religious card on this one.
I deeply respect the religion, but i respect my duty towards our customers plus their and our lives just as much when I'm in charge. And I truly hope that fellow aviators do the same when I'm in the back of their tube.

Let us for a moment imagine a religion who worships a few pints every happy hour ..... We might also respect their beliefs, but nevertheless uphold the very sensibel regulation, that when they follow their religion, they should neither drive and much less fly as actif crew. If they would try to escape the discussion and want all the world to accept their faithful actions based on religious motifs, we all agree, we wouldn't enter the matter and rightfully discard such reasoning. I honestly don't see any reason why the same logic should not apply to long fasting, as it has similar degrading effects as alcohol.

I know it is a highly sensitive matter and that may be the reason that no airline and even less ICAO is raising it - they all play the ostrich and just hope nobody raises the matter and it will pass without accident.

I hoped that here, on a professional pilots meeting spot, some anatomic logic that respects religion, but highlights some physical limits, raising this topic could have started a discussion and even maybe some thinking.

yellow cab
3rd Sep 2008, 14:39
salam ,pool i agree with what you said and thanks for the understanding how sinsitive this matter is ,, i do not wish my family or yours or any body else to be on board aircraft while the crew is not ready or able to fly cause they are fasting and it is not acceptable by islam also ..

(our prophit peace be upon him)had clearly said
what ever you as a muslim choose to do you must not bring harm or endanger your self or most important towards others(hope i got it right from arabic to english)
i second your idea about getting enough knowledge and infos about how is fasting can affect us on our flights and obviouslly this our responsibility towards our pax and companies..
i may add some times my flight starts and ends in couple of hours like short sector ,in my opinion it will not affect ones ability ,,of course it varries between diffrent people and depends on what time you report for duty and what timeyou are done.
thank you

pool
3rd Sep 2008, 15:57
I am very happy reading your comment, yellow cab. You display the exemplary professional attitude that is compatible with your beliefs.
My respect and ramadan kareem.

QTRminator
3rd Sep 2008, 19:24
Well said again, I agree on the above. We can not look away from a potentially serious safety issue because it has to do with religion. We have to face our problems and solve them. And be careful with the "I think I can handle it, its only 4 hrs", I'm sure most of us also would be able to handle a few beers before/during the flight and still land safely. But would we in that case be at the top of our game if something happens? Definitely not! We have a great responsibility, lets live up to it.

yellow cab
3rd Sep 2008, 19:49
pool thanks
i enjoyed sharing thoughts with a great fellow like you.
safe flights and happy landings for everyone