PDA

View Full Version : Are things crazy on the road or is it my imagination?

NG_Kaptain
31st Aug 2008, 19:15
Today in Abu Dhabi I saw more accidents and near misses on the road than I have in the last six months. What gives? Is it pre Ramadan insanity and can we expect another month of this. I was so glad to be off the road tonight, and to be honest I have not felt this way since I came out here. Are the chaps in Dubai seeing the same or is it only here?

Cheers NG

KRUGERFLAP
31st Aug 2008, 19:57
ITs the same in Doha my friend. Its the RAMADAN SEASON starting. It gonna be worst!

NG_Kaptain
31st Aug 2008, 19:59
Are you coming over?

OMDB-PiLoT
31st Aug 2008, 20:06
I dont think its to do with Ramadan in Dubai. It's hell everyday! Here you will find more retarded monkeys behind the wheel than sensible drivers.

KRUGERFLAP
31st Aug 2008, 20:19
YEs i will:ok:

NG_Kaptain
31st Aug 2008, 20:25
dont think its to do with Ramadan in Dubai. It's hell everyday! Here you will find more retarded monkeys behind the wheel than sensible drivers.

But generally it is a bit more sane here, but tonight was scared $hitless.

MTOW
1st Sep 2008, 00:03
For the next 28 days, a really good rule of thumb is to avoid driving in the hour leading up to Iftar (sunset to the uninitiated).

If you think you've seen some crazy things on the roads, the 'make it home for Iftar' rush by fasting drivers can result in some ... interesting ... decisions. Particularly 'interesting' for other drivers or pedestrians in the immediate vicinity.

NZ X man
1st Sep 2008, 03:29
Has John Mcclain said," welcome to the party pal", and a party it is every year. Madness, kaios, insanity, better known as Ramadan. Only drive in the mornings if you have to drive, after 21:00 hours, it is again madness.

CHeers:}

sispanys ria
1st Sep 2008, 05:29
Madness, kaios, insanity, better known as Ramadan

I think during ramadan you might be able to find a generous soul to pay for your one way ticket back home.

mensaboy
1st Sep 2008, 09:08
Ramadan has coincided with end of summer vacation. Typically the roads get busier when summer winds down and from my observations, many of the most dangerous drivers are returning. It's the perfect storm.

I actually enjoy summer here because it is easier and safer to get around.

This month could potentially be one of the most dangerous months in a long time. Be careful out there !

GAGing in Bahrain
1st Sep 2008, 10:07
Yes, it's definitely the crazy season on the roads (aka Ramadamadingdong, or more affectionately "The IFTAR 500").

Keep that water bottle out of sight, and make sure the A/C is on and the window cracked so the tell tale wisp of smoke can be dissipated. we wouldn't want anyone getting slapped with a hefty fine now, would we!?

MrMachfivepointfive
1st Sep 2008, 13:40
Its true. During ramadan the accident rate trebles and during the hour leading to Iftar it goes through the roof. Its called the Iftar rallye.
Dehydrated and undersugared, therefore borderline insane and about to faint - but one must not miss that first bite and gulp the split second after the sun is down.

The police know that and carry supplies of dates and water to de-fuse the developing drama after a one-minute-to-Iftar fender bender.

Its their country, their culture and they accept the risk - just like the Spaniards with their bulls in Pamplona. Just let them be. Stay off the road an hour before sunset. Delay your trip till 10 minutes after and you will be the only car on SZR.

Jetjock330
1st Sep 2008, 15:14
At least the bulls have direction!:}

GlueBall
1st Sep 2008, 15:32
But during the day you can enjoy a quiet meal. Just stay clear at sunset when the prophet's followers come foraging for food.

ACMS
1st Sep 2008, 16:08
God and I thought HK traffic was bad.

Good luck all.

blorgwinder
1st Sep 2008, 16:27
MrMachfivepointfive has hit the nail on the head:ok:
it is the same every year and if you think it is going to change you are :ugh:

QTRminator
2nd Sep 2008, 12:18
If it was only on the roads, thats bad enough, but I'm just waiting for the first airline incident/accident with to fasting pilots in the flightdeck...
That would stir up some interesting global aviationsafety-debate.

forget
2nd Sep 2008, 12:40
I'm just waiting for the first airline incident/accident with to fasting pilots in the flightdeck...

I thought the Koran allows munchies if thought 'necessary'. I don't think it's a hard and fast (:8) rule.

vaschandi
2nd Sep 2008, 12:41
Remember 1 2 Go MD 80 crash in Phuket last year during Ramadan:
Indonesian muslim Cpt was fasting...

forget
2nd Sep 2008, 12:53
I thought the Koran allows munchies if thought 'necessary'. I don't think it's a hard and fast (:8) rule.

Found it. So pilots are exempt from fasting. :ok: Might even apply to driving a 4X4.

Koran. Fasting Exemptions.

Children, disabled people not completely in control of their physical or mental capacities and people going through a difficult time in their lives (hard physical work, war, travelling, latter months of pregnancy, nursing and menstruation) can be exempted from the rules (2:173, 6:45, 16:114–18). The explanation is that ‘‘God desires your well-being, not your discomfort’’ (2:185).

QTRminator
2nd Sep 2008, 13:30
Yes correct, but unfortunately a majority of muslim pilots in the gulf choose not to use this exemption from the Koran. They choose to fast, not eating and DRINKING at all during daytime, which in my view is extremely bad judgement and down right dangerous.
Why this is not forbidden by ICAO is beyond my comprehension.

forget
2nd Sep 2008, 13:46
Why this is not forbidden by ICAO is beyond my comprehension.

This is a very interesting point. ICAO can have no influence here - but the local Imans would take a dim view of hundreds of Muslims being put at risk by shagged out Muslim pilots. One approach, perhaps, is to have the local airlines request a specific edict from the Imans. 'Operating pilots shall not observe fasting'. Reference 2:185. ‘‘God desires your well-being, not your discomfort’’.

Job done. :ok:

PS. Flight attendants included.

QTRminator
2nd Sep 2008, 14:11
Why can't ICAO have influence in this?
We, ICAO and our passengers don't accept drinking and flying. Why are we, ICAO and our passengers accepting fasting and flying, which can be much more dangerous?
We accept it because we don't dare to adress this problem while employed in this region.
Our passengers don't know about it.
ICAO haven't dealt with the problem yet, why I still don' understand. Probably as usual it must take a major accident were the major reason was found to be fasting pilots commiting human error before something happends.
Can't we for once be proactive?!

sispanys ria
4th Sep 2008, 07:40
I am sick of praying and fastening first officers..... but anyway, i am on my way out of here, thanks god.

And I'm sure you didn't use your Middle Eastern career to show off during the interview, did you ? Well, it was not all bad for you.

BladePilot
4th Sep 2008, 10:04
I have always enjoyed Ramadan but learnt very quickly to be off the road at least an hour before sunset. Pick a nice spot preferably well above street level (apartment with terrace) with a view of the traffic below settle down with your own (expat) interpretation of iftaar (a few tinnies and pub food snacks!) relax and watch the entertainment unfold! Dirham for Dirham I reckon it's more entertaining than F1 in Abu Dhabi will ever be.

Ramadan Kareem.

BladePilot
4th Sep 2008, 16:06
Wow! didn't this thread start of as a simple comment on driving habits during the Holy month of Ramadan?
How to chance subjects entirely in around 16 steps! :D

QTRminator
4th Sep 2008, 20:02
Guess its my fault, but I figured it to be important...By the way, driving and flying aren't that much different, if you think of it.
Now we're back to driving again anyway;)

Joey Q
4th Sep 2008, 21:48
I dont know about your employers and their relation to fasting during crew duty time.. but the operators I've been in contact with strictly forbids fasting during flying. These rules are ofcource hard to enforce but most people seem to take it seriously and will hold of fasting during duty time. At my old flightschool only the christian students were alowed to fly solo after 12 o clock because they didnt trust the rest to uphold from fasting..and this was in the middle east...

GMDS
5th Sep 2008, 05:39
Sure, they should take their leave during this time. We'd be happy to fill in and they would do the same for us during X-mas and Easter.
Oh no, I forgot. Then they would miss the X-mas shopping, Chriskindlmarket and the celebrity walks around St.Anton, St.Moritz ....

BladePilot
5th Sep 2008, 09:33
QTRminator.
As much as I love flying as an industry professional (ground based) I prefer to keep my Dunlops firmly attached to the black stuff! I just love the sound of my V8 5.7L as I floor it on the SZR. I'll gladly leave the sticktime to the other professionals in this business whom I trust implicitly with my life.

I have a UAE driving licence and have survived a number of years driving in the region do you think Etihad or Emirates might give me a shot at the right hand seat?:) LOL!

QTRminator
6th Sep 2008, 17:18
Bladepilot
UAE drivers licence?
Sorry, Emirates or Etihad won't do it, but do try Qatarairways, it might be worth a shot...:)

BladePilot
8th Sep 2008, 08:33
QTRminator,
CV on it's way thanks for the tip :) LOL!

fractional
8th Sep 2008, 10:12
There are MUSLIMS and Muslims. The MUSLIMS know exactly what to do and when, being it a prayer, a meal or even speak about their religion. The Muslims (or perhaps just muslims) don't do any of the above. This is the big difference in this religion or any other.
Nowadays, there is no room for fundamentalism despite what some try to instill in all of us. This applies to all sectors of life.
Perhaps this article shows a bit of what I say here:http://www.thenational.ae/article/20080907/NATIONAL/563076470/1010

polarus
9th Sep 2008, 09:47
Well back to the original thread!

I have been driving in Canada and the States for the better part of 23years with one accident!

After being in the Mid East for 3 years I know the craziness of the Iftar 500! Yesterday I experienced 2 ... I say again 2 accidents which makes 3 in 5 days.

Even the insurance company couldn`t believe it! They even said that the computer won`t allow them to process 2 accidents in one day! Of which I replied "you better change your policy".

STOP THE MADNESS!!!

And we let people fly in this state??? Its 50 degrees outside and NO food or water. SERIOUSLY!!! PS: the 3 drivers while waiting for the police ... fell asleep!

BladePilot
9th Sep 2008, 13:13
Anyone been to Ireland (RoI) recently? Seems there are 250,000+ drivers on Provisional Licences who are driving around without supervision or displaying L plates as the Law requires.

All dates back to a time when there was an explosion (was that a pun?) in car ownership and the testing system couldn't cope with the number of new drivers looking to take the test. A few years back I believe the Government offered an amnesty to all L drivers who had been driving illegally for three years or more!

Last year the Government decided to deal with the residue but backed down when confronted by an angry public (the provisional licence holders) who demanded to know how the Government expected them to travel to work if they couldn't illegally drive their cars! what a joke! Government then announced a 'stay of execution' stating that the legislation would be enforced this year 2008. Guess what..... yes the roads are apparently still full of provisional drivers who are driving illegally.

Add to this the influx of Eastern European vehicles with left hand drive and blacked out windows and I think Ireland has the makings of a EIREB500 to match the entertainment value of the Iftar500 the Delhi Dash the Cairo Cull or the Manila Mangle!