PDA

View Full Version : Training Costs + a penny for your thoughts

johnc21
31st Aug 2008, 15:49
Good evening all

I am considering taking the modular routing in this order, would this be considered a normal sequence or does anyone recommend another sequence.

Can you guys please provide me with rough figures to complete each area.
Also I am trying to decide between doing the ATPL theory via full time lectures or distance learning at my leisure.Im sure you folks have experience on both, so some pros and cons on each, plus your own personal opinion on what you would do would be greatly appreciated.

PPL €
Night rating €
ATPL theory €
Intrument Rating €
Multi Engine €
Commercial License €

Thanks very much for all contributions.

Regards
John

LH2
31st Aug 2008, 19:34
50 or 60K€ should see you there very comfortably, assuming you are of average skills. Not much point in breaking it down, as you will have to do it all sooner or latter.

adz1616
31st Aug 2008, 20:01
John

Youll have to do your multi engine before your instrument rating, unless you only want a SEP IR

Kiev23
31st Aug 2008, 20:15
Class one medical ?

johnc21
2nd Sep 2008, 13:42
Hi folks

Thanks for the info.

John

ChrisT4LFC
2nd Sep 2008, 14:14
John,

Are you thinking of Training Integrated or Modular? If you go down the Modular route (so that you can continue to work whilst training, plus its cheaper!) then I would go to Bristol Ground school to do your ATPL Theory through a distance learning course.

They are extremely organised with a huge amount of experience and are very helpful.

I passed all 14 exams 1st time with there help! Something that I never thought I could do.

Check out www.bristol.gs (http://www.bristol.gs).

Chris

2nd Sep 2008, 14:26
Hi John,

You will need to factor is some hour building too to get your 100 hrs PIC for CPL.

There are a couple of threads on pprune regarding which order to do your IR vs CPL in. Generally, people tend to do their CPL first.

Getting a class 1 medical sooner, rather than later is always a good idea. Just to confirm that there isn't anything that you're not aware of?

If you are after a breakdown of the costs for each, just take a look at any of the big modular flight training schools. Most of them publish a break down of their costs for each element of training, but be aware that there can sometimes be 'hidden' extras such as test fee, test aircraft hire, landing/approach fees etc. They can add up at an alarming rate!

Re: ATPL Theory. I'm going down the DL route with Bristol GS. If you do a search, you won't hear a bad word said about them. You can go at your own pace and save on accomodation costs.

Good luck with your training!

johnc21
4th Sep 2008, 21:14
Chris and 119.35

Thanks for your input also, appreciate it.
The only thing that worries is me is do I have the discipline to do it via DL.
I note from the link you provided there seems to be some kind of structure in place to guide you through it.Any ideas on how this works?

John

ChrisT4LFC
4th Sep 2008, 23:41
He he, Oh I laugh now, I had exactly the same apprehension about Distance Learning. I Never thought I could discipline myself for Distance Learning whilst working full time as well.

But, the key to it is, DON'T GET TOO BOGGED DOWN on a sticky subject, The 2 week Brush Up course at Cheddar will sort that out.

The way BGS works you through it all is excellent. You read a chapter of material and then are given a quickfire multiple choice quiz to demonstrate your understanding (They are dead easy to get through).

You go through the same process for about 4 or 5 chapters, and are then given a 'harder' Progress Test (which you MUST pass, 75%, a CAA requirement).

Set yourself small goals with each study session and you'll soon find yourself pacing through it!

The 1 very useful bit of advice I would give you is: -
Do Week 1's full quota of study at a 'manageable' pace that suits you. This might take 10 days, it might take 3 weeks (everyone is different) just do it to suit you. THEN, work out How long it will then take you to work through the entire DL course and book the Brush Up at Cheddar and your exams for that date. This way, you'll have a Target and a Deadline to keep to and that will Motivate to get through the 'orrible' studying.

Oh aye, its also worth getting the Online Bank of Questions for 50 quid once the exams are looming. They are a God Send, and will definitely help you pass the exams.

Hope this helps

johnc21
5th Sep 2008, 07:53
Chris thanks again for your help man - appreciate it very much.

regard
John

clanger32
5th Sep 2008, 09:05
It may also be very worth considering/looking at options for full time study of G/S...I don't think you'll find many people who have completed the studies who won't argue that it's hell on toast...and some find it easier to get through with full timing it, despite loss of earnings!

There have been a few posts I've seen recently with people who have quit distance learning to go full time for exactly those reasons. So I'd suggest looking into it hard before committing to DL to see what may be easier for you....you might be able to borrow one of the ATPL G.S. Manuals from someone to get an idea of how tough they will be for you!

BTW, Bristol database - I'd almost go so far as to say you'd be a fool to not use it...