PDA

View Full Version : Multiflight AB Initio

benish
31st Aug 2008, 15:33
Hi, after lots of canceled lessons and a lot of thought, I am thinking about embarking on this course. It will cost about 33k standard before all the extra bits.
PPL and hour building are done at London aviation in naples, florida.

Have any of you ever done this course? would you recommend it?

thanks in advance

ben

benish
1st Sep 2008, 13:22
??? Bump ???

ford cortina
1st Sep 2008, 15:25
Okay Benish, I will reply.

When I did this I paid half up front and went to the USA for the flight instruction, hour building and then Bristol GS course.
So a FAA PPL, (as you only need this) can be done for £3995.00
Plus £800 for extras, just in case and test money.
Hour building 100 hours in a C172 £7570.00
Bristol Ground school course. £2100.00
So total £14465.00

Multiflights course is £33000.00 so half is £16500.00

The above prices are schools I just googled and picked the first one, Bristol GS price is on their website.

Might be worth looking around a bit before you commit to anything

EK4457
1st Sep 2008, 18:28
I didn't go to MF but know a few who did. Overall, I get a positive reaction when I ask about the school.

They are based at LBA which is the CAAs north of England test centre. You will know the SIDs and routes like the back of your hand. Very usedful for CPL and IR test days. This is shown in their relatively high 1st series pass rate. I believe that the quality of instruction is good. I know from experience that their facilities are excellent.

In terms of price, they are a bit too far on the wrong side of average for me. This is even more annoying as they make you spend as much time as possible (approx 40 hours) in a fairly bog standard generic FNPT2. This should make them cheaper IMHO. Beware the prices on their web site not including VAT. Get your calculator out before you start comparing.

They fly Dutchesses which are slow, low powered and not turbocharged. This may seem bad but is actually good. You get more time to do things and less engine management is required. Believe me, you need all the help you can get on the IR.

Another factor with MF (or LBA in general) is the weather. You will loose a lot of flying days. Their runways are positioned to almost guarantee you a crosswind, all too often out of limits. I would plan for at least 1 in 3 days lost due wx. Maybe even 1 in 2. Don't worry about the time of year. All the seasons are just as bad as each other in that part of the world.

But, as anyone worth their username on this forum will tell you, what is good for goose may not be good for the gander. Do lots of research, get the pros and cons of each school you are interested in and make a decision based on your circumstances.

Good luck on your long journey. Just remember to rid your house of sharp objects before you set off.

EK

Pilotdom
2nd Sep 2008, 17:05
Im not LBA based, but live local, and the advice about 1 in 2 days being cancelled due WX is spot on. Good school, with excellent facilities, just be prepared for lots of cancelled lessons!

phillos
2nd Sep 2008, 22:49
Does anyone have any feedback on London aviation where the PPL training is performed?

sapperkenno
2nd Sep 2008, 23:37
When I did this I paid half up front and went to the USA for the flight instruction, hour building and then Bristol GS course.
So a FAA PPL, (as you only need this) can be done for £3995.00
Plus £800 for extras, just in case and test money.
Hour building 100 hours in a C172 £7570.00
Bristol Ground school course. £2100.00
So total £14465.00

Multiflights course is £33000.00 so half is £16500.00

So you paid £14465 and still haven't got an IR or ME rating???
AFAIK Multi gives you the lot... obviously plus tax etc as previously mentioned.
...and test fees, and medical, and flights to/from the US which you'll be also end up forking out for.

blueskybird
3rd Sep 2008, 21:37
Could anyone who has done this Ab-Initio course with Mutliflight tell us what the final cost came to, all in? :confused:

Am seriously considering them, but would really appreciate feedback on the finances part of it as i will have to save enough so as not to come unstuck halfway through the course due to lack of fundage:uhoh:

would £45K be enough??