PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar or Mainline

Alex 009
31st Aug 2008, 11:32
Just having a little debate with the other half about whether to fly with Jetstar from Sydney to Brisbane, or bite the bullet and pay and extra $50 to fly Qantas. Will be flying at times were meal service will be provided by Qantas, and will be able to add some more points to the account. Just the two of us flying, and its either an A320 with Jet* or a 767 with QF.

grumpysnail
31st Aug 2008, 12:39
You're in the air for about an hour. The miles you get aren't worth $50. Unless you're that close to silver (or gold) and need the status credits save yer dosh...

gdiphil
31st Aug 2008, 14:34
Definitely save your money and put it towards the next time you fly. Don't give the multinationals any more money than you have to. Last year I flew Sydney to Hobart and back. I flew Virgin Blue to Hobart and Jetstar back. The two single fares being much less than a return on QF. I have a lot of QF points but only add to them when flying with the one world alliance is actually the most cost effective. I take a tortoise and hare attitude to frequent flyer points - eventually they add up and I get a free flight to somewhere. If you like, I see these points as a bonus to the cheapest deal I can get and not as a motivating force for choosing a carrier. As for food on an aircraft!!! Need I say more?

Alex 009
1st Sep 2008, 07:51
Point taken, I have until May next year to get 70 more status credits to retain my silver so no worry yet. Will be booking Jet* tonight.

Globaliser
1st Sep 2008, 08:23
A contrary view here: I would gladly pay AUD 50 more to fly QF mainline. I haven't flown JQ myself, but I have heard much from people who have. I wouldn't want to overstate what I've heard, but I've been convinced that it's worth some extra money to fly QF.

The other thing to look at, of course, is schedules. There are only two JQs a day on that route. If neither time is suitable for you, then it would have to be QF anyway.

DJ would probably be a better second choice than JQ, in relation both to flying experience and schedules.

Alex 009
7th Sep 2008, 20:18
All booked up on Jetstar. I am also loking at getting from Sydney to Singapore in February. Jetstar is almost half the price of the 'legacy' carriers but has the stop in Darwin. Would anybody recommend?