PDA

View Full Version : Invest or not? NEED HELP!!

bryantng
31st Aug 2008, 05:18
Hi everyone, my name is Bryant, coming from perth, australia.

Sorry for my lengthy story and I will make it as short as possible.

I migrate to perth on Apr this year and started thinking of studying aviation qualification right after landing. I didn't take it in my BBA degree all becos there is NO choice for aviation subject in universities in HK.

Regarding the huge investment on CPL 150 with ME-CIR, it costs roughly AUD $75,000 to finish it. For me, it's really a big investment but I guess I can still solve it by borrowing.

Nevertheless, what confuses me most is will you be REALLY able to work for airline? As I know most of the airlines they require at least 1,000 - 1,500 flying hours before hiring you. SO how can I build up my hour gap like 1,000 hours? Realistically, I don't think I can afford to build up the hour by paying, esp. with these vast difference. So, any suggestion for me on this part?

Moreover, do any one of you know if there is any cadet pilot program in Australia? Since that will be a really good chance to get the professional qualification with sponsorship / scholarship, or with less fees.

Last but not least, I just wonder if there is any smaller-scaled airlines hiring pilots with less or little flying hours?

Sorry again for my poor english & long questions.

But really appreciate for any suggestion or advice you guys could give.

Thanks for seeing this post!

Cheers!

Bryant

redsnail
31st Aug 2008, 10:36
Bryant,

You're right, you can't afford to buy all those hours.

Have a look at the Dununda and Godzone forums. They target Australia and New Zealand.

If you want to fly, you don't have to do a full time integrated course, you can do stuff part time and pay as you earn.

Most people in Australia once they have their CPL and MECIR (multi engine command instrument rating) and ATPL subjects either get an instructor rating and or head to the out back/up north to get a single engine VFR charter job. Then you build up your hours and more importantly, experience and then apply to either bigger companies with twins and turbines or straight to the airlines like Qantas.

Note, Virgin Blue want a min 500 hours in command of a twin to be acceptable.

Good luck.