PDA

View Full Version : Sa Ppl Doing Hour Building In Us

loods
30th Aug 2008, 23:40
What Do You Need To Go And Fly In The Usa For An Holiday,what Is The Procedures To Gain An Faa Ppl. Thanks

birrddog
31st Aug 2008, 03:43
First look online and contact via email and decide where and with whom you want to fly. This is not uncommon and many schools are familiar with the process, I would choose one that is and has done this before, it will streamline the process.

Second, you will need to apply for TSA clearance, I forget what the program is called but you can find it online. It will involve getting fingerprints and having the FBI do a background check on you.

In theory, if you are getting your FAA rating in an equiv. rating to what you already hold, it will be a class 4 TSA approval. It can mean you don't need to go through the background check though you still need to register with the TSA. If you want to do a type rating you will need it.

Third, (I think), you will need a special visa. This is where the flight school comes in as they "sponsor" you. I trust posting from SA you are South African which means you need a visa anyway. Book your appointment early, it can be months before you get an interview slot.

In terms of the actuall FAA ticket, it is straight forward +- 5 hrs of checks with the flight school, and an oral exam and flight test with an FAA inspector. You will need to do the FAA computer test first for your theorey work. Pretty straight forward and there are FAA guide books that will get you through it.

You'll have a blast. In a lot of respects it is like flying in SA, just with more extensive ATC coverage.

You may even consider getting an FAA CPL. It is amazing how many N-Reg aircraft there are around the globe, and if you plan on doing a lot of flying it probably wont cost you more than you budgeted anyway. In my experience you pay for groundschool....

PM me if I can be of any assistance.

Hope this helps.