PDA

View Full Version : Near-miss reporting

birrddog
30th Aug 2008, 22:42
The recent thread in rumors and news regarding a near-miss in the Caribbean prompted me to think when one should report.

I have had two incidents, one on take off, one on finals, both in a helicopter, where the tower after giving me approvals (take off, land, respectively) vectored jets into a crossing path which without my (or an instructor familiarizing me with a new country in the one case) recognizing and taking avoiding actions could have had unfortunate consequences, and left me a little shaken in both incidents.

The decision at the time(s) waited in favour of not reporting as it turned out to be a non-event and we didn't want to be seen as 'causing trouble with ATC', as sometimes they too are lenient on our transgressions....

Not strictly a rotorheads discussion, though I thought I'd post here to get the opinions of fellow rotorheads. Sometimes I feel helicopters are the red-headed stepchilds of Air Traffic Control system.
(Edit)
I guess there might be a perception regarding our ability to hover / quickstop that might be a contributing factor.

I now open the debate :ok:

Regards,
Birrddog

handbag
31st Aug 2008, 00:08
I was cleared to land on ILS last week and fixed wing was directed into right base in front of me 1/4 mile from the threshold. Had to climb to avoid. Yeah I was pissed but just left it at that. I could have started the paperwork ball rolling but no damage done. Generally I find ATC to be pretty good guys and things like that happen rarely.