PDA

View Full Version : Good old Rafa

Parapunter
30th Aug 2008, 20:35
Ahem,

One would just like to say that since it hasn't appeared anywhere else on here, one very much enjoyed a day out at the RAFA Shoreham airshow today. A sunny day made a little brighter by the battle of Britain chaps, the Eurofighter, a Catalina & wokka wokka wokka chin-wokka-ook.

Good show chaps, I hope the weather holds for Sunday:ok:

G-CPTN
30th Aug 2008, 20:50
Did the Catalina do a water landing?

A few years ago the Cat did at Sunderland Airshow. It was entertaining, but the time for a circuit showed how slow it really was when flying . . .

chiglet
30th Aug 2008, 22:31
And I thought that you were discussing Rafa Thingy, the Liverpuddle Martyr... sorry Manager
watp,iktch

BRL
30th Aug 2008, 22:52
I too thought you meant a certain Spanish bloke!

Will be going to the show tomorrow if the weather holds out as I was working most of today.

That Catalina flew very very low directly over my house on Friday afternoon on it's way to Shoreham and I am in the middle of Brighton.

Unusual to say the least, most planes going to and from Shoreham are heading east/west and vice-versa on the way to/from the marina (local VRP) but this came from the north heading south then done a right turn to fly along the seafront.

What time did the Eurofighter turn up?

Parapunter
30th Aug 2008, 22:58
Around half three. Truth be told, we had two little girls & a toddler in tow, and they'd reached little people V2, so we'd decamped to the pub by the time the Typhoon displayed, so we watched it from the beer garden at the Swiss Cottage.

Still, the Vampire was good too, nice and old school! Can anyone tell me, was the Catalina built with a bulgy picture window each side on the aft fuselage or has it been pimped? It doesn't look like an aerodynamic mod, but mustard for the passengers in any event.

G-CPTN
30th Aug 2008, 23:09
I believe that the 'blimps' are standard - allowing improved observation.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2e/PBY_Gun_Blister.jpg
PBY Catalina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PBY_Catalina)

Parapunter
30th Aug 2008, 23:15
That's the felly! We thought it looked like the thing had crashed into Halfords en route, still, you live & learn.:ok: