PDA

View Full Version : Error 650

touch&go
3rd May 2001, 16:21
Can someone tell me what error 650 on Windows ME means.

I get this error message 8 out of 10 times when I connect to BT Openworld ADSL. I have spoken to BT technical for just short of 5 hour this month and they tell me different things each time.

To get connected I have to turn my computer of and unplug the modem, turn the computer on and then plug the modem back in, this works but is a real pain.

I have a BT engineer coming tomorrow so I need to have some info on the fault code, so as not to get fobbed of again.

Thanks

Superpilot
3rd May 2001, 18:12
Hi,

The problem is with those Alcatel modems. I have a similar problem connecting to the net sometimes (4-5/10 times perhaps). I use Iomart ADSL and have a friend who has OpenWorld, he also has the same problem.

The best thing to do is disconnect the modem from the USB port, wait 10 secs and then reconnect it, wait another 20-30 secs and then try connecting to the net.

These modems (and Alcatel is fully aware of it) hang up a bit like your PC hangs up sometimes. Once the modem hangs up it is no longer able to receive any (AT) commands the computer sends to it until the modem is rebooted, similar to a PC.

My ISP has told me that Alcatel does know but is not making any progress towards finding a solution. You can ask for advice but they will always say "get hold of the latest drivers" which didn't work for me, but try them anyway.

The error WinME gives is the closest match as far as it can determine, it is misleading however.

Hope I answered your question and do let me know what the engineer says / does.

Icarus
3rd May 2001, 19:33
http://www.worldonline.co.za/support/dun/650/help_error650.htm

touch&go
3rd May 2001, 19:39
Thanks for the advise, I'll let you know what they say tomorrow.

I was told to go on to the Alcatel web site by BT and down load a new set of drivers last Friday which I did, they crashed my system and I almost needed to re format my hard drive as I couldn't even boot up in safe mode, I friend in IT came and spent over 2 hours sorting it out, he doesn't have much to do with ASDL so he hasn't a fix for 650.

Thanks again