PDA

View Full Version : Low Hours Options???

encounter150
30th Aug 2008, 15:46
With the current situation in Europe and North Amercia where can one go as a British frozen ATPL holder (with the minimum hours)
Is there anywhere else in the world where low hours guys/gals get straight onto the bigger stuff ? (eg. India, China, Japan etc.)
Will a stint in Africa flying C206's help or hinder your chances with a UK airline when the situation improves ?
Realistically how much does a new FI make per month if you take an average over a year ?

redsnail
30th Aug 2008, 19:40
There's flying in Africa and there's flying in Africa..

There's good and not so good operators in Africa. Chances are the better operators fly European tourists or are dealing with the UN/Red Cross.

Rather than the SOPs keeping you in line, you'll need to display a lot more initiative and self discipline.

You'll have to work hard to get a start but keep your eye on the goal which is to get onto turbine equipment.

The guys I know who've flown in Africa are now captains on G550s, Falcon 7Xs and Cessna Excels (after stints in Cathay, Monarch and Emirates)

Go for it, a year or two in Africa riding out the recession is a better move than letting all your ratings and skills lapse.

encounter150
30th Aug 2008, 21:56
thanks for the advice and am thinking its the best option. Its not going to get better here anytime soon.

INNflight
30th Aug 2008, 22:38
Don't think so unfortunately, and with so many carriers gone bust lately, there are plenty of licensed guys around only waiting for their next flt deck.

I still hope to get all my training done when the trend goes up again in two years or three, however Africa is most certainly on my screen if not.

Must be some interesting flying...

Anonymus6
30th Aug 2008, 23:38
Just let you guys know that it is not that easy to get a job in Africa,, there are plenty people waiting in line to fly a crapy cessna 206.

encounter150
31st Aug 2008, 00:05
There is nothing crap about a C206.
I am sure its not easy to get a job in Africa flying them but its certainly not impossible. Getting a job flying anything in the UK right now is quite close to impossible if you have 200 ish hours.

Anonymus6
31st Aug 2008, 09:26
encounter150,

if you apply to these operators in Africa they will not even reply to your C.V. neither will it work if you give them a call. You have to travel down to Africa to make your self marketable. I'm not pulling this out of my a:mad:s. It's just reality. And it is not impossible at all. I knew a guy that went down to africa and was living in a tent in zimbawe and flying a cessna 208 I belive. Anyway he is flying a 757 now.

Good luck!!!

hitmanishere
31st Aug 2008, 10:22
if you apply to these operators in Africa they will not even reply to your C.V. neither will it work if you give them a call.

This is true.. I sent out so many job applications to operators in africa but only 2 replied, :(no thanks...

redsnail
31st Aug 2008, 10:45
That's true about Africa. Also the same goes for Australia and PNG (although, low houred guys can't get starts in PNG any more.)

Hence the initiative thing. You do need to plan and head out to Africa (pick a spot after doing the research). Appear keen but not a pain.

I know one guy who went out there, ended up on Caravans, got a start on a 757 in the UK which lead to a 737 job. He found airline life too routine and is now with NJE. :ok:

It's better than sitting at home firing off CV after CV and getting no response.

I'd take a long-ish holiday to check it out, if there's a sniff of a start, then resign from your current job if you have one and delay your return ticket.

Good luck.

Philpaz
31st Aug 2008, 18:34
Anyone any idea about flying for the charitys out there, the old "will fly for food"?

Put1992
31st Aug 2008, 20:50
What kind of companies are hiring pilots to fly caravans and the likes? They don't seem very prevailant in the U.K (from the small amount of flying I've seen here) so I assume they are elsewhere?

Cheers

Anonymus6
1st Sep 2008, 15:48
Ok, the best way to build some time at the current situation right now is to get a Flight instructor raiting and then apply to couple of places in china( you will get the job). These places are not the place to be, but at the current climate this is the only option. you will be flying close to 80 hours and in a year you will have 1000 hours. Hopfully things changes in a year and with 1000 hour you will be much marketable than a guy with 200tt.

Instructing is fun, I did it for a year and had a blast. It can be very frustating some time with a student that doesn't listen, or understand you. But it open several doors for you in future. And living in china is muchhhhhhh better than Africa, altogh I have heard flying in africa is fun.

Good luck guys

scooby79
1st Sep 2008, 18:45
The guys I know who've flown in Africa are now captains on G550s, Falcon 7Xs and Cessna Excels (after stints in Cathay, Monarch and Emirates)

Are you saying they used Cathay as a stepping stone to a Cessna Excel job or have I misunderstood you?

redsnail
1st Sep 2008, 21:46
Well, one bloke got bored in Cathay flying 744s after flying Hawker. He came back to the Hawker 800.
Another was bored in Cathay, not sure what he started on but he's now flying Falcons.

Another used to fly 757s and 737s, the lifestyle didn't suit and he got frustrated with it all (ie loco flying etc), now he flies an Excel. Loves it and the lifestyle. I am sure he'll be along soon to post. :)

One of my colleagues was a captain on a DHL 757, loved the aeroplane but they shifted his operation to another base. He has more money as an FO on the Hawker 800 than he did as a captain simply because the company pays for his travel costs. Now he not only enjoys the flying but he spends more time at home too.

I can't believe I am going to say this, but the bigger the size doesn't always mean more pleasure... :E