PDA

View Full Version : DLA on Dell XP Pro

seacue
30th Aug 2008, 13:56
I'm finally getting around to migrating a number of applications to a Dell Optiplex 330 machine running XPPro 32-bit. The machine is now almost six months old. It came with Roxio CD-writing software.

The applications have been on an "older" Dell.

One of my applications requires DLA (Drive Letter Access) to the CD-RW drive. I have Sonic DLA on the older machine.

There doesn't seem to be DLA software on the new machine and Google searches don't give me confidence about what to do. Sonic seems to now own Roxio but my searches talk of "incompatibilities".

[I have a similar question regarding a new Dell Vostro 200, also with XP.]

I'd appreciate comments or suggestions.

Thank you.

seacue

Keef
30th Aug 2008, 19:32
Not sure if this is your point, but is the application looking for the CDRW drive to have a particular drive letter?

If so, you can assign a particular drive letter to any device - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management then find the drive and allocate it the letter you want.

seacue
30th Aug 2008, 19:55
Thanks Keef, but DLA allows the use of a CD-RW just as though it is a floppy disk. A program can write files files to it directly without the step of manually using "burner" software. Or am I missing the point myself?

One has to format a CD-RW before it can be used for DLA.

seacue

seacue
30th Aug 2008, 22:42
Thank you SF, I'll give it a go.

seacue
31st Aug 2008, 14:38
I've looked on the support site for my newer (Vostro 200) Dell and there is no sign of DLA support. Bad sign.

It will probably be Wednesday before I visit the machine I originally inquired for and find its service tag.

seacue

seacue
31st Aug 2008, 18:06
Thanks you StacyF, but "Use with DLA" (to enable Sonic DLA) doesn't appear on my Vostro 200 here at home. That makes me guess that the software is not already on my home machine.

A puzzlement.