PDA

View Full Version : Word Problem

paulc
30th Aug 2008, 13:36
I have a laptop using XP and office 2000. when using Word every time I type the certain words (moon is one - the letter M seems to be the trouble as goon / boon etc do not cause the problem) it crashes with the usual error messages. This does not happen in excel or word pad etc nor does it happen.

Any suggestions / advice ?

Laptop does not have net access so I cannot send the message to see if that does any good.

Next step will be to reinstall office and see if that does the trick.

Saab Dastard
30th Aug 2008, 14:50
Mmmmmmmmmmmm.... Tricky! :p

I would stop mooning if I were you. :}

Sorry, not helpful, but I couldn't resist.

Apart from uninstalling / re-installing Office / Word (or doing a repair), ensure that the keyboard and locale are correctly set.

Check if there are any macros with "M" created as the keyboard shortcut. Ensure that auto correct / auto type is off, and Smart Tags are off.

Is it "m" or "M" -or both - that causes the problem? Has it always been this way, or only since a recent event? Can you trace the "event", if so?

Finally, ensure that all the service packs / updates for Office 2K are installed

paulc
30th Aug 2008, 19:29
Saab,

thanks for the info - will give that a try but as far as I know all are per your email (will stop mooning as well)

Problem happens in all word or works docs so I think a reinstall is the most likely option. Wil let the techies at work have a look on Monday