PDA

View Full Version : Discrimination against Armed Forces Personnel

swampy_lynx_puke
30th Aug 2008, 09:08
I've just learned that First Direct have withdrawn their travel insurance from Armed Forces personnel - as provided with their current accounts.

Is this discriminatory?

Littlewoods refuse to send goods to BFPO addresses for "security reasons".

I begin to wonder of other companies who are increasingly trying to distance themselves from the Armed Forces.

What other examples are there?

Should there be a means to "name and shame"?

diginagain
30th Aug 2008, 09:25

This isn't anything new; it was their policy 20 years ago. (Apparently. I wouldn't admit to wanting to purchase anything from a book.)

Agaricus bisporus
30th Aug 2008, 10:29
First Direct's travel insurance is underwritten by, and administered by Norwich Union. You get put on to a NU operator when you phone FD for travel insurance.

That could be serious!

FormerFlake
30th Aug 2008, 11:32

You have to be over 50 to buy anything from Littlewoods so there will only be a small percentage of military staff affected. Navs and Air Engs mainly:8

Two's in
30th Aug 2008, 13:15
If half the threads on here are anywhere near true about the cavalier attitude towards the Armed Forces by the MoD, can you be even remotely surprised that commerical ventures with a responsibility for making profits and mitigating risk would be cautious about dealing with the Military?

If you want to start identifying people who don't support the Armed Forces you might begin with Des Browne, CDS and the AFPRB before you pick on Littlewoods and First Direct.

Jumping_Jack
30th Aug 2008, 16:46
Does Harrods still refuse entry to servicemen in uniform?

papillon_x
30th Aug 2008, 17:29
Im still annoyed Ann Summers doesn't deliver to bfpo numbers anymore :p

D O Guerrero
30th Aug 2008, 22:08
Is this thread a joke? Get over yourself...

AdmiralPiett
30th Aug 2008, 22:21
I recently tried to get motor cycle insurance from NORWICH UNION DIRECT.

When asked for my occupation I gave H M Forces and was told that they 'do not insure people in the forces'.

parabellum
30th Aug 2008, 23:15
If you, (serving personnel), were to push this, possibly starting with the Insurance Ombudsman, and discrimination was proved I don't think it would help you much as the insurance companies would simply increase their rates, claiming actuarial experience required this. Insurance is an industry and not a profession. Just find an insurer that will cover you.

Regarding a car getting damaged on military property, the single biggest reason for dis-allowing a claim is non disclosure of essential information. In this case did you tell your insurer that you sometimes used your vehicle in conjunction with your work? That would normally be all that is required and may not always mean an increased premium, just depends on the amount of exposure. One reason some insurers don't want to cover you when your vehicle is on military property is because if you are hit by a military vehicle the insurer then has to deal with the MOD and not another insurance company/underwriter.

FormerFlake
31st Aug 2008, 09:54
Well Norwich Union used to underwrite NAFFI insurance so it seems strange they now discriminate against servicemen.

I found several insurance companies that even listed "Armed Forces Car Park" is a place you could normally leave the car over night and gave suitable discounts for it.

parabellum
31st Aug 2008, 13:12
I can see that you may get a discount for leaving your car in an armed forces car park as that is likely to be a patrolled and secure area and theft, break in etc. is less likely.

Often the problem of denial of insurance or strict limitations doesn't come from the up front insurer but from the up front insurer's re-insurers. All underwriters and companies will take on risks and they then buy layers of re-insurance from re-insurance companies to cover themselves. Re-insurance companies are strictly financial institutions staffed by financial gnomes who's only skill is reading a balance sheet, they work in offices far removed from reality or, in some cases, mankind.;)

I would always recommend that you find yourself a LLoyd's approved broker who has access to the entire market, including special risks. The underwriter pays the broker, not the customer, so insuring via a broker should not cost you any more, a bit like credit cards, they do cost the vendor but it is considered worth it to secure the business.

Green Flash
31st Aug 2008, 14:27
My car insurer also appreciates the fact that, when at work, between my motor and the neds is a razor wire fence and someone with an assault rifle and a half fed Alsation dog. 'I suppose that makes it fairly secure, then?' she commented and the discount went up a little. :ok:

Pilot Pacifier
31st Aug 2008, 15:00
Imperial War Museum at Duxford isn't very forces friendly either.

12 of us went to the recent Flying Legends airshow and I wrote to them asking if there was any chance of a service discount. No was the answer.

How many of us have been flying near Duxford and given them a info call and then been asked if we can do a 'approach and depart'? Not any more...

Climebear
1st Sep 2008, 12:29
I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)

cornish-stormrider
1st Sep 2008, 19:32
Says it all doesn't it..................

For all those with insurance issues, go independant. NFU dropped my premium by an extra 20% coz it was a secure location, the lady did say one of the reasons why forces car insurance is so high is because so many young lads etc, on base, higher disposable income = faster car and trouble. On my last posting we had a book for how long between purchase of shiny fast car/bike to accident. the record was 48 hrs.

Satellite_Driver
1st Sep 2008, 20:59
how long between purchase of shiny fast car/bike to accident. the record was 48 hrs.

At one of my previous stations, it was forty minutes, leaving a young widowed airwoman. Not one of our happier months. :(