PDA

View Full Version : Can we be traced thru an IP address?

tin tin
7th Mar 2001, 21:23
Does anyone know if it possible to trace and identify ppruner via caller ID and/or their IP address?

Capt PPRuNe
7th Mar 2001, 22:01
tin tin, your IP address is logged every time you post a message on here and with that IP address and the co-operation of your ISP I could find out who you are through a search of your ISP's log files.

Most ISP's will not give this information out as it is protected data but most will do so if ordered by a court if there was any leagal requirement to do so. For example if the police were investigating a criminal act and the use of this forum was a part of the criminal act then they could possibly ask a judge to issue an order to the ISP to reveal the identity of the person.

Never had to do this yet but it is an option should anyone think that they can use these forums to continually abuse and slander someone. You haven't got something to worry about have you?

As this is a computer and internet question I am moving this to the appropriate forum.

------------------
Capt PPRuNe
aka Danny Fyne
The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

boxmover
7th Mar 2001, 22:59
In part it depends if your ISP knows how you are. Not sure if most of the "free" ISP's in the UK will konow who you are.

Plus if you use free mail to get a pprune name and post for a public computer it would be very very dificult to pin you down (CIA may be ABC airways no way)

That my opinion what do others think?

pied piper
8th Mar 2001, 00:53
unlike the real world it is a lot easier to be anonymous in cyberspace, but it would have to be pre-meditated if someone wanted anominity (spelling) from the off.

If they were commiting crimes then there are otherways of detection besides address tracking.

Code Blue
8th Mar 2001, 00:56
When you log into your ISP, the IP address is allocated by the ISPs server - dynamic addressing. The ID is logged with the corresponding IP address in the server log. Thus for most people using their own accounts, identification is possible. It's the server logs that are usually subpoenaed.
Logging on via ASDL, ie continuous open access via your ISP, I think, results in your ID/machine having a specific unique IP address.

In the case of internet cafes it would be harder to identify the individual user. If it is a cash transaction to use the machine and no record is kept of the users identity, then you're anonymous.

------------------
-.-- --.- -..-
[email protected]

ExSimGuy
8th Mar 2001, 11:26
Don't know about the other "free ISPs", but FreeServe in UK requires that your telephone's "caller ID" is not disabled in order to use their service.

I suspect this is to assist in tracking "hacker" type activity as they can go from the IP address used at the time to the login name and the telephone from where the connection was made!

Issabluudynuisance if you travel though, as you cannot dial into FreeServe from outside UK due to the lack of the caller ID :mad:

------------------
What goes around . . .
. . often lands better!

MasterGreen
8th Mar 2001, 16:47
Normal usernames here, but I am using a relatively simple commercial rerouter that should block my ISP. PPrune Towers know who I am and I am actually at my normal station. I would be interested to see if this rerouter / blocking works.

Comments please PT

If PPrune cannot trace me back to my "normal" IP then it is a winner and I will let you know how it works.

I am pretty certain that, given enough time and resources you can trace anything on the 'Net if the logs are available. However as far as I can tell the logs for this go into file 13 ...

MG

driver 8
12th Mar 2001, 22:05
Code Blue, reference your statement about ADSL, I'm using it with dynamic IP addressing, different address each time I disconnect/reconnect, there's also a max time period set by my ISP that I can be connected with the same IP, 2 weeks I believe. Just a security issue.

As far as I know Demon provide an ADSL service with static IP addressing but you pay more for it.
D8