PDA

View Full Version : In what country is possible to work with FAA licence?

shinners
30th Aug 2008, 03:10
Hi!
I was thinking to wait to convert Faa licences...in this case, a part USA, are there other countries who accept FAA??

maybe in centre/south america?? I don't mean airlines....even small cargo or a job on some small multi-engine aircrafts.....

beachbumflyer
30th Aug 2008, 19:37
In Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.

BelArgUSA
30th Aug 2008, 21:01
Shinners -
xxx
You should not have any problems in most countries of Africa.
Some nations in the Carribean as well... and Middle East or Asia.
At times, requires minor local formalities (air law written exam and flight test).
Often, the operator who is hiring you will assist for local certification.
Canada/USA now recognize each other's certificates, requires written exam.
:ok:
xxx
beachbumflyer -
Sorry, but you forgot Guam, the Marianas, US Samoa, Midway and Wake.
I read somewhere that Texas finally also recognises FAA credentials.
:}
Happy contrails

shinners
30th Aug 2008, 22:36
oh thank you very much

so it's not necessary to convert into JAA to find job without a green card:)

eikido
4th Sep 2008, 07:45
I thought FAA was ICAO compliant which means you can fly in most part of the world except for JAA countires and countries outside ICAO?

Eikido

BelArgUSA
4th Sep 2008, 14:33
Is it possible to work in "country X" with a FAA pilot licence...?
Frequent question.
xxx
The way newly qualified pilots should do, after getting any licence (i.e. FAA or JAR) should be to answer pilot job openings on the net, the licence required is almost always specified, as well as the qualifications, such as "FAA CPL/IR/ME" with minimum 1,000 hrs total time, 500 hrs PIC multiengine.
xxx
Majority of pilot applicants send their C.V. with or without knowing if their licence is approved for a job in that country, anyway. Sending a C.V. does not cost much except your time and effort. If you get an answer, they might, or might not tell you that you do, or do not meet their requirements.
xxx
If they want you (or need you) they will hire you. A current passport will always be required. Sending a job application to an aviation company FIRST, before holding a licence, then deciding to do that FAA (or JAR) licence, is the wrong order of things. If they write "yes we accept FAA licences", may mean that they openings now. These openings might no longer exist a year later, when completing your training.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

SNS3Guppy
6th Sep 2008, 07:05
Shiners,

I don't know that there's anything I ever learned in my training that I haven't used...it's all been applicable. Every bit of it.

Along the way there have been a lot of things I've studied or been tested on that I thought I'd never use or see again...and found out otherwise. Not just with respect to flying the airplane, either. When I obtained my mechanic certicate, I'd been working on airplanes for years, but had no plans to be a full time mechanic. I got the certificate because needed it to apply for a flying job. I quickly found myself working full time as a mechanic, then an inspector, and in subsequent jobs, twice as Director of Maintenance.

Some of what you learn may not be seemingly applicable. Even when some complain about the plotter and flight computer...it's still applicable, still useful. Some say the ADF is a waste of time. I used my plotter and my little aluminum E6B, and a RMI with an NDB signal last night...in a B747. It's not a waste of learning or effort.

So far as how your certification may be useful, that really depends on what type of work you want to do, and where you want to work. At a minimum, the FAA certificate is an ICAO recognized and compliant certificate, and recognized in most countries. It's easy enough to use it as the basis of obtaining local certification, where necessary.

Despite what the disquieted ethnic northern minority might wrongfully suggest, the FAA certification does open doors. Students come to the USA from all over the world to obtain their training before returning home to go to work, obtain local certification, etc.

hikoushi
6th Sep 2008, 09:18
It's not the type of certificate that makes the aviator. A truly proficient pilot will seek out and learn all the knowledge he (or she) needs to improve his airmanship and perform his duties safely and confidently, regardless of whether that knowledge is required by a written test or not. A truly out-to-lunch "accident waiting to happen" will conduct himself in a careless manner no matter how many exams you make him sit through during his training.

Pretty much every pilot group I've ever been involved with out there in the world is comprised of roughly 85% good people who try their best and do a good job, with abilities ranging between average and exceptional. Out of the other 15%, 5% are gifted, natural aviators who are truly inspiring to fly with, 5% are complete a$$holes, and 5% are total morons who couldn't fly their way out of a paper bag.

The PILOT makes the pilot, not the paper in his wallet.

SNS3Guppy
6th Sep 2008, 09:45
Wise words, hikoushi.

remarkablebean
9th Sep 2008, 15:32
Here's a link to another fourm where the reality of getting hired with an FAA ATP or JAA ATPL with the likes of Cathay, Emirates etc. is in discussion.

Hopefully it might help. Some of the posters think it is harder to get a gig with an FAA license rather than one issued by JAA...

Thoughts anyone ?

Another DESO question - Page 2 - Airline Pilot Central Forums (http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/foreign/18543-another-deso-question-2.html)

And yes, very wise words indeed hikoushi:ok:

P.S. And thanks to Weasil for sorting out the Angryblack on this thread too.

ironbutt57
12th Sep 2008, 06:20
All the carriers here in the gulf accept it for conversion to their own licence provided the airline's courses are completed...same as Singapore, Japan, etc...etc...