PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Blocked Senders in Outlook Express

7x7
6th Mar 2001, 23:18
I'm using Outlook Express on Win 2000. I'm averaging one to two - sometimes a lot more - spam e-mails a day, (some ***'s sold the company mail list, I think). My Blocked Senders list grows daily, but all it does is send the unwanted e-mails straight to the Deleted Items box. Is there some way to completely block unwanted addresses in Outlook Express so the unsolicited e-mails get thrown back to the sender undelivered?

If this full blocking feature's available on the full Outlook but not OE, I'd be more than willing to swap to it from Outlook Express. I'm getting sick and tired of being offered the best mortgage rates in North America every day to say nothing of the PhDs in applied basket weaving simply by sending in my credit card details.

Ausatco
7th Mar 2001, 18:05
7x7

I don't think you can bounce stuff from your ISP back to the sender unless you're a Unix guru and can do something fancy at your mailbox at your ISP.

For us mentally crippled GUI lackeys you have to retrieve your mail and bounce it from your PC. WOFTAM http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Why? Because the "From" address is faked on most spam and your attempted return will bounce it back at you again!

If you have the patience you can use something like Spam Hater from Mirabilis to automate the process of sending a complaint to the spammer's ISP (ie to their Abuse and/or Postmaster addresses), but it gets pretty tiresome.

FWIW, I use a prog called SpamEater Pro from www.hms.com (http://www.hms.com) . Before you collect your mail, you view the headers of all the email in your mailbox at your ISP and choose which emails you want to collect. Much of that part is automated, but you can modify Spameater's suggestions. Spameater then sends commands to your ISP to delete the unwanted stuff at your mailbox (ie, before you download it), then you collect the remainder in your normal fashion.

Some spam might slip through. Most email clients have a filter facility that you can set to fix that.

Hope this helps

AA

ExSimGuy
8th Mar 2001, 11:34
Hey ! I get those USA mortgage offers too :)

As a Brit working in the Middle East, they are really useful stuff. I especially like the bit on the bottom about them being "good sorts" who would never sell my email addy - after they bought it!

If there is not an "unsubscribe", I sometimes have fun by responding with some caustic comments - but mistakenly ( ;) ) put their email addy a dozen or more times in the "to" line :) :) :)

(I know I should not really respond to spammers, but sometimes that little devil takes over . . .)

Avtrician
13th Mar 2001, 06:23
Most times you are better off not sending unsubscribe messages back, as this confirms that you email address is live. Just keep sending to auto dump (deleted messages) and eventualy they go away (or you dont know that they were there )

BEagle
23rd Mar 2001, 11:06
This wretched spamming seems to bedevil Hotmail in particular. I just keep clicking the 'Block Sender' and complaining to Hotmail Support. But they just come up with excuses about not being able to do anything. So I receive 'Get Rich Quick' schemes, weird XXX offers and other junk all of which comes from the Land of the Crimplene Lard@rses!!

So I'm going to $hitcan Hotmail unless their geeks can stop all this spam.