PDA

View Full Version : TV, Satellite box and HDD/DVD recorder. Best connections?

None of the above
29th Aug 2008, 19:26
After much dithering, I've ordered a new TV for delivery next week. It has two HDMI sockets so I'll use one for the Freesat box and the other one for the HDD/DVD recorder. Incidentally, each of these boxes only has one HDMI socket.

The connection between the HDD/DVD recorder and the Freesat box is not quite as straightforward. I've no knowledge of 'component' connections but this method appears to be an alternative to using a Scart lead.

Does one system have any advantage over the other?

Thanks in advance:ok:

N o t a

Parapunter
29th Aug 2008, 20:35
Scart is pretty universal & carries video & audio and makes daisy chaining between devices quite straightforward & component connectors separate video & audio between cables. Scart is a French invention & therefore can't be trusted.

That is a soooooo basic answer, but I don't honestly think you'll notice too much of a quality issue between the boxes. You should of course, have bought a media centre which does all of wht you have and more in one box.:p

Keef
30th Aug 2008, 00:52
... until you want to record off the Freesat box ;)

HDMI is a latter-day SCART. For all its failings, SCART works well.

It has the clever ability to see "what did he do last?" and respond to that. You turn on your TV, it's on (say) BBC1. You then turn on the Freeview box, or the DVD player, and it switches to that. And so on.

As said above, you can daisychain devices using SCART, and it all "happens". Sometimes, you need to be able to disable one device's ability to "take control". There's a wire in the SCART lead that you cut (I forget which, but Google is your friend).

I bought a new TV and associated toys, and gave up with HDMI. It all works flawlessly with SCART.

I'm not French.

None of the above
30th Aug 2008, 09:03
Many thanks Mr. P and Rev. Keef.

I suppose the best way forward is to try both - one at a time of course!
It is a few years since we bought the present TV and things have moved on somewhat, hence my query. In all honesty I was trying to avoid having to crawl around behind the scenes with a web of wires.

Anyone want a fifteen year old telly; free, gratis and for nothing?
Thought not:ok:

N o t a

Bushfiva
30th Aug 2008, 10:17
Scart's one of the few cabling systems where expensive cables can really be way better than cheap ones. Connection problems are common: the thick cable is very heavy compared to the plug/socket connection, which relies on detents to hold it in place. Rule of thumb: no audio, the rectangular end of the plug is loose. No video, the other end of the plug is loose. In general, if the equipment doesn't have strain relief, buy cables with all 21 pins present, since you need all the friction you can get.

When it works, Scart does work very well. But HDMI does it that bit better, especially if you're moving audio around.

call100
30th Aug 2008, 11:29
HDMI works better for HD content and upscaled DVD. I would use HDMI if available over SCART. ........
Order of connections for quality....
HDMI
Component
SCART
SVideo.