PDA

View Full Version : No name in "From" field when sending mail with Outlook

beaver eager
6th Mar 2001, 02:39
Hi folks,

I've just switched from OE5 to Outlook but I can't seem to configure Outlook to show my Profile name of e-mail address in the "From" field after sending mail.

In OE when you started a new message there was a "from" field automatically, and you could choose from your identities (OK, I've got a few....). So why isn't the "from" field there in Outlook, and how do I make it appear?

Can anyone help or do I have to go back to using OE in dispair?

FL310
6th Mar 2001, 17:52
BE,
Outlook is a bit more for the serious person...
While creating your mail account, you are providing details such as your Name etc.
If you want to change this, go to Options and Accounts and double click the mail account.
When sending mail, Outlook uses always the account set as default.
This is a bit a pain in the neck for notebook user travelling around with several accounts.
Everytime you want to change your profile you can do that by creating a new account and than set this one as the default one...

beaver eager
6th Mar 2001, 18:29
Thanks for responding FL310,

But I don't have an accounts tab in the options menu. Maybe it's only in later versions of Outlook. I'm using Office Pro '97 and hence Outlook '97 and all the mail accounts have to be set up in your profiles and they're not called mail accounts, you have to go to tools, services, internet e-mail.

Maybe I need a newer version; what you are describing is how OE5 used to do it - and blo**dy good at it it was too!

------------------
Keep it up!

FL310
6th Mar 2001, 22:51
it is Outlook 2000 I have...but 97 was very similar and did the same....

There is a tab called Options....and in there a menu item Accounts....

The 97 version is already some time off my PC, but the procedure was the same...you should find (following your way) also your mail accounts and there you can change the user, the different pop access data as well as the preferred function.
Sorry to be unable to give more precise info...

[This message has been edited by FL310 (edited 06 March 2001).]

Mac the Knife
6th Mar 2001, 22:55
Goto Options>View and check the "From" field when composing email. That's the way it works in OL98 and I think OL97 is similar (?). Put OL98 on a new machine recently and wondered where my "From" field had gone for a moment until I remembered.

beaver eager
7th Mar 2001, 00:17
Great! I've found it. It's on the 'view' drop down menu when composing a new message. Check the box once and it stays there on every message thereafter.

I still can't find 'accounts' anywhere though, and when I click on the button on the from field, I have to choose who I am from my address book (contacts). Why doesn't it know who I am like OE does?

Anyway, I'm getting there.... thanks for the input folks.

------------------
Keep it up!

Mac the Knife
8th Mar 2001, 22:57
Beaver - I still have to select my own name from the address book to stick in the "From" field - a minor annoyance for which a workaround may exist but I can't be bothered to find it.

The as ever unhelpful Help says this about Accounts in OL98......

About Internet e-mail accounts

If you have an existing Internet e-mail account that you already use with Outlook, you can continue to use it without making any changes. If you are switching to Outlook from another program, or if you have a new Internet e-mail account that you will use for the first time, you have the following options:

· Set up a new profile for an Internet e-mail account if you have never used Outlook to send and receive e-mail messages, and if you have signed up for an Internet e-mail account through an Internet service provider.
· Add a new Internet e-mail account to an existing profile if you already use Outlook to send and receive e-mail messages, or if you want to have messages from more than one e-mail account delivered to your Inbox folder.

· Remove an Internet e-mail account from your profile if you don't intend to use it again, for example, if you have more than one e-mail account in your profile and you cancel one of the accounts.
· Troubleshoot Internet e-mail if you have problems getting Internet e-mail to work with Outlook.

beaver eager
9th Mar 2001, 02:09
Cheers Mac,

I guess I'll just have to live with the minor annoyance, as you put it.

I've come up with a way of making it a bit less painful though. If you name yoursef "1)[email protected]" in your contacts list, then because of the 1 you appear as the first name in the list, which at least saves you having to scroll down the list!

Wouldn't be a problem if you were named Aardvark I suppose!

------------------
Keep it up!

pilot999
9th Mar 2001, 16:04
OL2000 doesn't seem to allow a From field when composing a message. Instead it has a Send key with an arrow selector, which when clicked lets you choose which account you send from, it then sends the mail. Easy to have a slip of the mouse and send from the wrong account (could be embarrassing)! Also took me ages to get the subject header, cc and bcc up on a new email - eventually discovered View - Message Headers does the trick! If anyone knows how to get From please let me know. Much preferred Outlook Express - may go back to it. Accounts are set up from Main Screen: Tools - Accounts, if you dont have this option you may need to re-install a few extras from the original installation CD?