PDA

View Full Version : How Do Seasonal Cabin Crew Survive In Winter

interested123
29th Aug 2008, 14:14
I'm Seriously Considering Applying For A Vacancy With A Charter Airline As Cabin Crew For Next Season And I Am Aware That The Majority Of Companies Lay Off Staff In Winter. I Was Just Wondering How Cabin Crew Survive Throughout Winter Without Money Etc? Where Do You Live? Etc? Or Are There Charter Airlines That Employ All Year Round?

saffaboi
29th Aug 2008, 14:55
I used to work for My Travel Airways, and when it came to being laid off in the winter, (finished in nov) i just got a part time job, which is easy as everybody recruits for christmas temps, with your contract finishing in feb, and you normally start back flying in feb or march (if you get asked back that is)... Highly recommend charter, as its a great laugh even though you do work hard...:ok::ok::ok:

konkrete
1st Sep 2008, 14:48
I guess it depends on who you work for and where you would be based.

If you applying for a seasonal base then you can pretty much guarantee that you will only be working the summer seasons, but if you applying for a permanent base position then in my experience if you work hard and don't get in trouble then you may get offered a contract at the end of the season.

I worked at a charter airline from Gatwick for the summer season. We were always told that the position was seasonal but when it came to the end, they sent out letters inviting people to stay on, on a permanent contract. I would say that it was maybe 20% of the summer intake that were invited to stay.

Another thing to bare in mind is that with most charter airlines if you do stay over the winter you can probably expect a pay hit purely because you are unlikely to get a full roster for the winter months, so you take a hit on flight pay.

Again this is just based on my experience and hearsay from other charter crew.

I would also mirror saffaboi's comments and recommend the charter flying, its great fun.

interested123
3rd Sep 2008, 18:32
nice, i know its a personal question but how much do you think you average? annually? in pay that is. with winter part time work etc